Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30,000 foot view of the Bengals and the league in ‘23
Just a note on the Bengals. I think they get Burrow extended. I think they keep the staff intact. Arizona with so much money invested in Murray goes with an offensive coach but after Kliff they go with an experienced coach. Indy I think sticks with Jeff Saturday or they’d hired someone. I mean they’ve had months to find someone.

Baltimore is going to have a rough go. If they franchise Lamar it isn’t going to be pretty. I don’t see them getting it done.

Tampa Bay with the Brady retirement has real problems. Wonder if Cappa can recruit a FA from there? Haven’t looked at their FA’s.

Denver with Sean Payton will be better but w/o draft picks they have an uphill battle.

NYJ I think becomes a factor by getting Aaron Rodgers

Miami Dolphins are definitely the team to watch after getting Fangio.

Buffalo will be about the same. They have no cap space and can’t do much.

Pittsburg & Cleveland will both be marginally better.

LAC I think finally started to gel and Kellen Moore will help them. I think there were 2 OC’s at Dallas him and McCarthy. Couldn’t have been ideal.

SF is really really good.

Philly is really really good.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I'm not overly concerned with the AFC next year. Believe it will be similar to this year.

Bengals need to get better though. Bulk up the trenches a tad more (not far off if healthy). Add more depth at corner.
Don't pass up on improving the RB/TE positions if the value is there in the draft.

It comes down to can we beat the Eagles. They are without a doubt the best team in the league.
Bengals should learn from them going into the offseason. They are outstanding on both lines.

When it comes down to it.. if the pass protection and run blocking can improve, this team can win it all without a doubt.
If you can do that and add in a nice flashy corner and running back/TE, we can beat the Eagles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just a note on the Bengals. I think they get Burrow extended. I think they keep the staff intact. Arizona with so much money invested in Murray goes with an offensive coach but after Kliff they go with an experienced coach. Indy I think sticks with Jeff Saturday or they’d hired someone. I mean they’ve had months to find someone.

Baltimore is going to have a rough go. If they franchise Lamar it isn’t going to be pretty. I don’t see them getting it done.

Tampa Bay with the Brady retirement has real problems. Wonder if Cappa can recruit a FA from there? Haven’t looked at their FA’s.

Denver with Sean Payton will be better but w/o draft picks they have an uphill battle.

NYJ I think becomes a factor by getting Aaron Rodgers

LAC I think finally started to gel and Kellen Moore will help them. I think there were 2 OC’s at Dallas him and McCarthy. Couldn’t have been ideal.

The Jets with a QB is a scary notion...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
One thing about the Eagles - They have very little cap space unless some dudes start coming off the books.
$4.7 mill right now, according to Spotrac.
That's not even enough to sign the draft picks.

They also have an older roster, so they'll have to nail some draft picks to keep the momentum after this year or the year after.

Call me crazy, but Hurts is not as good of a passer as the top guys in the AFC - Burrow, Mahomes, Allen.
I'd take any of them over Hurts.

Just like I thought with Denver getting Wilson, I don't think the Jets magically improve a ton after a season with double-digit losses by getting a new QB.
They might get 2-3 more wins, but that's not really contender-level.

Bengals are in such a good position with their cap space, but a good amount will go to impending internal FAs.
It's still a better situation than the other top teams in the league right now who have less than $10 mill to spend before re-signing anyone.
Out of all the playoff teams, the Bengals have the most cap space other than the Patriots.
The league average is just $5 mill.
Bills, Vikings, Jags, Dolphins, Jets, Cowboys, Chargers, Bucs are in the red.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Just a note on the Bengals. I think they get Burrow extended. I think they keep the staff intact. Arizona with so much money invested in Murray goes with an offensive coach but after Kliff they go with an experienced coach. Indy I think sticks with Jeff Saturday or they’d hired someone. I mean they’ve had months to find someone.

NYJ  I think becomes a factor by getting Aaron Rodgers

Even if Lamar stays there (which I doubt because he wants to go to an easier to win division) the offensive coordinator who built the defense around him is gone. They can't bring in an OC who wants to scheme around a pocket passer. They are hosed big time. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One thing about the Eagles - They have very little cap space unless some dudes start coming off the books.

They also have an older roster, so they'll have to nail some draft picks to keep the momentum after this year or the year after.

Call me crazy, but Hurts is not as good of a passer as the top guys in the AFC - Burrow, Mahomes, Allen.

Just like I thought with Denver getting Wilson, I don't the Jets magically improve a ton after a season with double-digit losses by getting a new QB.

Bengals are in such a good position with their cap space, but a good amount will go to impending internal FAs.
It's still a better situation than the other top teams in the league right now who have less than $10 mill to spend before re-signing anyone.
Out of all the playoff teams, the Bengals have the most cap space other than the Patriots.

The Chiefs, us, and SF look like strong contenders for awhile. Philly is locked. No way they can improve but few elite teams can. But they’ve got a lot of draft picks and a 10th rounder and #30 or #31.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I'm wondering how long before the NFL decides to fix the fact all the top young QB's have come into the AFC and the NFC is pretty much the old washed-up guys conference. The AFC became a QB arms war. They are going to have to address that soon I would think and juggle teams around.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 03:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm wondering how long before the NFL decides to fix the fact all the top young QB's have come into the AFC and the NFC is pretty much the old washed-up guys conference. The AFC became a QB arms war. They are going to have to address that soon I would think and juggle teams around.

Philly will win the SB. So I don’t think so.

Reply/Quote

(02-01-2023, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One thing about the Eagles - They have very little cap space unless some dudes start coming off the books.

Just like I thought with Denver getting Wilson, I don't the Jets magically improve a ton after a season with double-digit losses by getting a new QB.

The Eagles have a ton of high dollar free agents and possibly a Kelce retirement.

Reply/Quote

Ravens could be ok, they will tag Lamar and he will play or they will tag and trade him for a boat load of picks.  Assuming Lamar does not refuse to sign the tag.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 03:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Ravens could be ok, they will tag Lamar and he will play or they will tag and trade him for a boat load of picks.  Assuming Lamar does not refuse to sign the tag.

I think they won’t be as formidable from hear on out unless they sign Lamar. I think that’s unlikely.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 04:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they won’t be as formidable from hear on out unless they sign Lamar. I think that’s unlikely.

I'd actually contend the opposite - Lamar KEEPS THEM from being a real threat. His lack of real touch and general issues operating a passing offense from the pocket have held their offense back for years, as has the need to have an eccentric custom offense modeled around him. 

If the Rats do the right thing, they dump Lamar and reconfigure the offense back into something more rational. Either draft a QB high or use the "Lamar money" to bring in a legit starter as a Free Agent. Then get more receivers. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 04:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'd actually contend the opposite - Lamar KEEPS THEM from being a real threat. His lack of real touch and general issues operating a passing offense from the pocket have held their offense back for years, as has the need to have an eccentric custom offense modeled around him. 

If the Rats do the right thing, they dump Lamar and reconfigure the offense back into something more rational. Either draft a QB high or use the "Lamar money" to bring in a legit starter as a Free Agent. Then get more receivers. 

Well threat I’d disagree elite I would agree. Having a great QB is pretty important. SF seems the outlier. Philly may not have an elite passer in Hurts but his running makes up for it so he’s pretty elite. If they dump Lamar it’s not a given by any means they fare better. JMO but I’m a lot less concerned about Baltimore than I was last year at this time. It all depends what happens at QB.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 01:12 PM)bBengalstripes9 Wrote: I'm not overly concerned with the AFC next year. Believe it will be similar to this year.

Bengals need to get better though. Bulk up the trenches a tad more (not far off if healthy). Add more depth at corner.
Don't pass up on improving the RB/TE positions if the value is there in the draft.

It comes down to can we beat the Eagles. They are without a doubt the best team in the league.
Bengals should learn from them going into the offseason. They are outstanding on both lines.

When it comes down to it.. if the pass protection and run blocking can improve, this team can win it all without a doubt.
If you can do that and add in a nice flashy corner and running back/TE, we can beat the Eagles.

I would be concerned with AFC, KC is in good shape with returning most of their players... i have a gut Bills are going to improve that running game plus get Von Miller back.. Chargers seem to be held back by HC, but return a good core of players and if Bosa stay healthy defense will be better. Jacksonville will be better and i believe Steelers hit at QB and WR and will be better, Ravens are not going away, they battled us without Lamar, they are still going to be a tough win at times.. the Browns are the unknown team.. Watson will be better but their WR core is not good... and they don;t have draft picks so i think they are in trouble
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 05:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would be concerned with AFC, KC is in good shape with returning most of their players... i have a gut Bills are going to improve that running game plus get Von Miller back.. Chargers seem to be held back by HC, but return a good core of players and if Bosa stay healthy defense will be better. Jacksonville will be better and i believe Steelers hit at QB and WR and will be better, Ravens are not going away, they battled us without Lamar, they are still going to be a tough win at times.. the Browns are the unknown team.. Watson will be better but their WR core is not good... and they don;t have draft picks so i think they are in trouble

I wouldn’t be concerned with anyone. This year just affirmed we are in fact here to stay.

I think it’s important to remember, we lost 1 game that wasn’t on a last second kick. None of our wins came on a last second kick. We will be a 11/13 win team again barring injuries. We will need to reload/upgrade depth and maybe get 1 impact player, But even if we don’t, our main core is still here. Assuming we bring back SOME of our free agents.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 05:48 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I wouldn’t be concerned with anyone. This year just affirmed we are in fact here to stay.

I think it’s important to remember, we lost 1 game that wasn’t on a last second kick. None of our wins came on a last second kick. We will be a 11/13 win team again barring injuries. We will need to reload/upgrade depth and maybe get 1 impact player, But even if we don’t, our main core is still here. Assuming we bring back SOME of our free agents.

I’m not as worried about the OL. RT yes only because of Collins. I think Volson in his second year will be much better, Karras and Cappa better, and Williams healthy okay. Not worried about corner if Awouzie is heathy. I think ADG fills in for Pratt. The DL is only short on pass rush and Hendrickson I think bounces back. Running back we will have Mixon and I’d bet Perine. I’ve got confidence in both. Hurst I think comes back.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 06:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not as worried about the OL. RT yes only because of Collins. I think Volson in his second year will be much better, Karras and Cappa better, and Williams healthy okay. Not worried about corner if Awouzie is heathy. I think ADG fills in for Pratt. The DL is only short on pass rush and Hendrickson I think bounces back. Running back we will have Mixon and I’d bet Perine. I’ve got confidence in both. Hurst I think comes back.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they draft a RB and TE as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 06:06 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Wouldn’t be surprised if they draft a RB and TE as well.

Depends on Perine and Hurst. If they opt for 2-3 year deals to take less I doubt they do. But drafting their replacements not a bad direction

Reply/Quote
Don't sleep on the Jags especially if they can bring back a lot of their big pieces.I have them winning the AFC South again at the very least.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 06:20 PM)The American Dream Wrote: Don't sleep on the Jags especially if they can bring back a lot of their big pieces.I have them winning the AFC South again at the very least.

Calvin Ridley should be their best WR too... They're coming.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote