Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
$309.2m
That is how much teams got from national revenue for the 2020-2021 NFL year.
https://sports.yahoo.com/packers-report-record-nfl-payout-203045102.html

That means not counting jerseys, tickets, concessions, sponsors, whatever... every NFL team STARTED with $309.2m in their pockets from the get-go. The salary cap in 2020 was $198.2m. So even before any other sources of money coming in, Mike Brown could spend the full salary cap and still have $111m for non-player operating costs and his pockets.

Never let NFL owners cry poor.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 12:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That is how much teams got from national revenue for the 2020-2021 NFL year.

That means not counting jerseys, tickets, concessions, sponsors, whatever... every NFL team STARTED with $309.2m in their pockets from the get-go. The salary cap in 2020 was $198.2m. So even before any other sources of money coming in, Mike Brown could spend the full salary cap and still have $111m for non-player operating costs and his pockets.

Ironically, the Packers reported a $38.8 million dollar loss last season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 12:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: Ironically, the Packers reported a $38.8 million dollar loss last season.

Is that really a surprise?  Very few to no ticket sales, concessions, parking and souvenir revenues, etc.  Smaller market teams are going to suffer.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 12:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: Ironically, the Packers reported a $38.8 million dollar loss last season.

In 2019 they made 724k profit in 2020 it was record setting at 70 million. In 2021 they had a record setting loss of -38.8 million.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

I was just watching a video yesterday saying the Packers made 120 million on investments last year (not football related). 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 12:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That is how much teams got from national revenue for the 2020-2021 NFL year.

I'd love to see a list of operating costs. My guess is they are astounding when you figure in taxes, insurance for players and properties, travel, personnel, facilities, non-player salaries, advertising. Probably not 111m, but I would love to know what they are. I'm sure there are many expenses we don't even know about. 
Reply/Quote

okay so what are the operating cost/ staff cost last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: okay so what are the operating cost/ staff cost last year.

And how much of the league's funding of the player's pension is paid by owners?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 12:54 PM)Synric Wrote: In 2019 they made 724k profit in 2020 it was record setting at 70 million. In 2021 they had a record setting loss of -38.8 million.

Help me here, please. How could they know 2021 revenue before the games are played? What if the season is canceled mid-season? Confused. 2020 revenue would have to be down (year of COVID). There was no live attendance.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:33 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Help me here, please.  How could they know 2021 revenue before the games are played?  What if the season is canceled mid-season?  Confused. 2020 revenue would have to be down year of COVID).  There was no live attendance.

It's a fiscal year thing 2021 profits will be reported in 2022. So 2019 profits would be for the 2018 year etc.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It is all a matter of perspective. Mike Brown isn't poor. Mike Brown is poor for an NFL owner.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's a huge reason Mikey uses family in key positions. You pay yourselves as GM, player relations. media marketer...... you can claim it as business expense and "subtract it" from your profit.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 12:53 PM)Stewy Wrote: Is that really a surprise?  Very few to no ticket sales, concessions, parking and souvenir revenues, etc.  Smaller market teams are going to suffer.

Not sure what market size has to do with this.  There's plenty of teams who are in huge markets who also saw similar attendence figures as the ones in smaller markets.  I can't imagine the Jets, Rams or Chargers saw any more money from these sources than teams like the Bengals, Bills or Packers.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 12:53 PM)Stewy Wrote: Is that really a surprise?  Very few to no ticket sales, concessions, parking and souvenir revenues, etc.  Smaller market teams are going to suffer.

calling the packers small market is like calling the steelers small market

yes compared to other cities, green bay and even pittsburgh are tiny

but fanbase wise? Those are 2 of the top 5 largest fanbases.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:37 PM)Synric Wrote: It's a fiscal year thing 2021 profits will be reported in 2022. So 2019 profits would be for the 2018 year etc.

That makes sense. I know people in the AZ Diamondbacks organization and they definitely use the calendar year (as do the majority of businesses). They reason is simple. Taxes. It’s far cheaper and less fraught with troubles to use the same year the IRS uses.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:47 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not sure what market size has to do with this.  There's plenty of teams who are in huge markets who also saw similar attendence figures as the ones in smaller markets.  I can't imagine the Jets, Rams or Chargers saw any more money from these sources than teams like the Bengals, Bills or Packers.
You'd be 100% wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/05/18/the-stadium-revenue-each-nfl-team-will-lose-if-games-are-played-without-fans/?sh=37093303691a

(07-27-2021, 02:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: calling the packers small market is like calling the steelers small market

yes compared to other cities, green bay and even pittsburgh are tiny

but fanbase wise? Those are 2 of the top 5 largest fanbases.

Note:  I was not arguing this point nor did I mention Merch sales outside of stadium revenues because those are licensed and spread evenly throughout the league.  So no Team gets any more $$$$ for having a large fanbase/merch sales than any other.  https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/10/03/good-question-sports-merchandise/

Individual Team income is affected by everything associated with the stadium - tickets, luxury boxes, license fees, parking, concessions, etc.  What you made the year before affects how much you expect to make the next year, which is called a  BUDGET.  If you lose 30% of your revenue unexpectedly then this leads to a deficit and in the case of the packers a loss, because they had ~147mUSD cut from their budget due to COVID.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 02:20 PM)Stewy Wrote: You'd be 100% wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/05/18/the-stadium-revenue-each-nfl-team-will-lose-if-games-are-played-without-fans/?sh=37093303691a

What is this supposed to be telling me?  It's stadium revenue from 2018.  You claimed that small market teams were going to suffer more as a result of lost attendence due to Covd and everything that comes along with it.  Bigger markets like the Jets and Giants lost more in typically seen revenue than smaller market teams like Bengals.

If anything, Covid leveled the playing field for a lot of these markets.  They all suffered, and were brought down to comparable and lowered amount.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: okay so what are the operating cost/ staff cost last year.

The Packers total operating cost last year was $409 million.  They were at $438 million the year prior.
Reply/Quote
I cannot speak specifically to NFL teams as to how they handle losses and if they are true losses or not. I know for fact about how some very large businesses handle their losses. This is fist hand from the CEO of a major company in the United States. In the years that they take a loss, they do not have to claim the entire loss or even claim the loss that year. They can push that forward so that in a year where they make record profits, they can offset their taxes by using some of that "saved loss" to lower tax implications.

I've been in on the meetings, I've seen the paperwork, I've seen how it's been handled. I know for a fact this happens with multi-million dollar businesses. Again, that may not relate to the NFL and NFL teams/owners may have to follow different rules. So maybe NFL teams reported losses are their actual reported losses. With the loss of so much revenue last season, that could be legitimate.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 02:04 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: That makes sense.  I know people in the AZ Diamondbacks organization and they definitely use the calendar year (as do the majority of businesses).  They reason is simple.  Taxes.  It’s far cheaper and less fraught with troubles to use the same year the IRS uses.

Sure, but the MLB plays their entire season within the confines of that single calendar year, so it makes sense for them to do that. MLB is wrapped up by the end of October.

The NFL doesn't finish their season until February of the year after they started the season.

I'm guessing the NBA also probably uses their own fiscal year as they also have a season that spans two calendar years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote