Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
341-190
A Win is a Win...and a win in Denver is a great thing any time...but 190 Total Yards against Denver?

The offensive stats are ugly.

20 Denver 1st Downs to 12 Bengals ones.

35:11 Denver ToP to 24:49 Bengals.

49 Bengals rushing yards to 112 Broncos rushing yards. 1.9 yards per rush for the Bengals.

Where we won the game was 2 Denver TO's to 0 Bengals. The turnovers flipped the game as our offense struggles without a short field.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A Win is a Win...and a win in Denver is a great thing any time...but 190 Total Yards against Denver?

The offensive stats are ugly.

20 Denver 1st Downs to 12 Bengals ones.

35:11 Denver ToP to 24:49 Bengals.

49 Bengals rushing yards to 112 Broncos rushing yards. 1.9 yards per rush for the Bengals.

Where we won the game was 2 Denver TO's to 0 Bengals. The turnovers flipped the game as our offense struggles without a short field.

gotta get the run game going and eat up some clock so our defense isn't completely gassed in the 4th qtr.   (we do that we would have won at Tennessee too)
Reply/Quote
Dre Kirkpatrick just called. He said "You're welcome.".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 12:18 PM)jason Wrote: Dre Kirkpatrick just called. He said "You're welcome.".

I thought for sure he was going to fumble that ball. Would of been a blooper real for some time.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was looking over NFL rushing yards a game and just how bad we are at it this year... and I think we may be on pace to be the worst rushing team in quite some time. Arizona would have that honor if it wasn't for us. Most teams averaged at least 70-80 yards a game on the ground. We're hanging tough at a gawdy 68 yards a game
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 12:19 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I thought for sure he was going to fumble that ball. Would of been a blooper real for some time.

Even when he was 15 yards ahead of anybody else, I have never been more certain that he wasn't going to score.

I saw 3-4 crazy almost fumbles yesterday.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Problem #1: We rushed for 49 yards on 26 carries (1.9 per rush). Dalton had our only rushing 1st down. Think about that for a minute. And it's been that bad for awhile. We've averaged 52.0 rush yards in our last 5 games. That's laughably bad. We're now DEAD LAST in rush yards and YPC.

The top rushing teams are Jax (160.6 yards on 4.6 YPC), Philly (144.6 yards on 4.6 YPC) and NO (144.0 on 4.8 YPC).

We're averaging 68.0 yards on 3.0 YPC for the season.

Problem #2: This defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs. Denver converted 12 of 21 third downs plus a 4th down conversion. Tennessee and Jacksonville also pummeled us on 3rd downs. I hate that people are so defensive about this and turn into an either/or issue. The defense is not without fault. They are contributing to the TOP problem.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 02:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Problem #1: We rushed for 49 yards on 26 carries (1.9 per rush). Dalton had our only rushing 1st down. Think about that for a minute. And it's been that bad for awhile. We've averaged 52.0 rush yards in our last 5 games. That's laughably bad. We're now DEAD LAST in rush yards and YPC.

The top rushing teams are Jax (160.6 yards on 4.6 YPC), Philly (144.6 yards on 4.6 YPC) and NO (144.0 on 4.8 YPC).

Problem #2: This defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs. Denver converted 12 of 21 third downs plus a 4th down conversion. Tennessee and Jacksonville also pummeled us on 3rd downs. I hate that people are so defensive about this and turn into an either/or issue. The defense is not without fault. They are contributing to the TOP problem.

Look Shake, we all know it's the offenses fault Denver had two long extended drives in the first half when they were all tired and shit...wait...that's not adding up...
Reply/Quote
This is definitely a team effort. Defense can shorten the time they are on the field by executing on every down and stop waiting for the big play.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 12:19 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I thought for sure he was going to fumble that ball. Would of been a blooper real for some time.

I thought they'd call it an incomplete pass because he didn't complete the catch while going to the ground. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Our run blocking has always been supbar, even back when we had Whit but now it is perhaps the worst OLine of the decade of any team in the NFL. Can't pass pro and the run blocking is a rare degree of terrible. Hall of Shame stuff.

But hey, who could've predicted our Oline would be bad. Oh that's right, literally everyone other the FO who let Whit go and Marvin/the coaches who draft Ross and Mixon instead of Oline (I don't care if it would be a reach).

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 02:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Problem #1: We rushed for 49 yards on 26 carries (1.9 per rush). Dalton had our only rushing 1st down. Think about that for a minute. And it's been that bad for awhile. We've averaged 52.0 rush yards in our last 5 games. That's laughably bad. We're now DEAD LAST in rush yards and YPC.

Agreed. The defense does have some issues getting off the field. The run game is a major issue. The defense issue is smaller...but still an issue.

It's just like the offensive line is terrible, not argument from me...but there have to be the occasional hole that our RB's are missing too.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:55 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Our run blocking has always been supbar, even back when we had Whit but now it is perhaps the worst OLine of the decade of any team in the NFL. Can't pass pro and the run blocking is a rare degree of terrible. Hall of Shame stuff.

But hey, who could've predicted our Oline would be bad. Oh that's right, literally everyone other the FO who let Whit go and Marvin/the coaches who draft Ross and Mixon instead of Oline (I don't care if it would be a reach).

Oh...there were people cheering on the Bengals wallets in free agency saying Whitworth was old and we drafted a guy in the 1st to replace him and that Zeitler was way overpaid and we made the right move. They just don't talk about it since it's been obvious the line was terrible.
Reply/Quote
Our O-line coach is putrid fellas. Always has been with run blocking and run blocking is what O-lineman love to do.

That is how bad he is.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Our O-line coach is putrid fellas. Always has been with run blocking and run blocking is what O-lineman love to do.

That is how bad he is.

The scheme we run seems to be antiquated. It's a more passive blocking scheme. Other teams seem to be more aggressive.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The scheme we run seems to be antiquated. It's a more passive blocking scheme. Other teams seem to be more aggressive.

Nailed it.

We are the most passive blocking team in the entire NFL and this is our biggest problem.

We need to get an aggressive O-line coach after the season if we want this to change.

I honestly believe it is not just the players. Sure we need a new Center but i think Boling and Andre could be decent
if they were able to block aggressively, maybe even Og for all we know might be okay. All i know is this scheme does
not let these guys gain any confidence.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nailed it.

We are the most passive blocking team in the entire NFL and this is our biggest problem.

We need to get an aggressive O-line coach after the season if we want this to change.

I honestly believe it is not just the players. Sure we need a new Center but i think Boling and Andre could be decent
if they were able to block aggressively, maybe even Og for all we know might be okay. All i know is this scheme does
not let these guys gain any confidence.

I'm likewise hesitant to lay all the blame on the players on the O-Line. Hell, it goes for the entire team.

I'd love to see what a competent coaching staff would do with this team. I won't even as for the Patriots', I'd settle for Andy Reid or Pete Carrol quality.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 05:47 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm likewise hesitant to lay all the blame on the players on the O-Line. Hell, it goes for the entire team.

I'd love to see what a competent coaching staff would do with this team. I won't even as for the Patriots', I'd settle for Andy Reid or Pete Carrol quality.

No doubt we'd be better atleast somewhat.

But, when you take an average offensive line and remove the 2 best players...you get this.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh...there were people cheering on the Bengals wallets in free agency saying Whitworth was old and we drafted a guy in the 1st to replace him and that Zeitler was way overpaid and we made the right move. They just don't talk about it since it's been obvious the line was terrible.

I was always Team Whit, but I will still totally admit I also said that I wouldn't want Zeitler at that $. He has proven it in Cleveland, too. He is a slightly a over average player, getting paid like he is elite.

So I still do not want Zeitler, but I would have either drafted a Guard in the 2nd or 3rd, or have used some of that money on a GOOD free agent OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. The defense does have some issues getting off the field. The run game is a major issue. The defense issue is smaller...but still an issue.

It's just like the offensive line is terrible, not argument from me...but there have to be the occasional hole that our RB's are missing too.

I look at the RBs similar to the QB getting rattled behind a terrible line. When they're not finding holes 9 out of 10 times, they probably don't know what to do with a hole when they get one.

I've noticed we've been doing a lot of run plays wayyy to the outside...Almost avoiding the line entirely. This line can't run block, period. Mixon is at 2.9 YPC, Hill averaged 3.1 and Gio is at 3.5 and quickly falling. 

This is a trio of 2nd round talents. Some of the top 3 prospects at RB in their respective drafts. Looking at this and how we've ranked 20th or worse in YPC every year since 2006 (sans 2014), I can't view it as a RB problem. PA has been the only constant.

I've been harping about this since I joined the boards in 2011, and year after year, our run game continues to be weak. Right now weak isn't even the word.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote