Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
341-190
(11-20-2017, 04:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nailed it.

We are the most passive blocking team in the entire NFL and this is our biggest problem.

We need to get an aggressive O-line coach after the season if we want this to change.

I honestly believe it is not just the players. Sure we need a new Center but i think Boling and Andre could be decent
if they were able to block aggressively, maybe even Og for all we know might be okay. All i know is this scheme does
not let these guys gain any confidence.

To bolded, that's all most organizations with any sense about them need to know, in order for change to have happened like 5 years ago.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A Win is a Win...and a win in Denver is a great thing any time...but 190 Total Yards against Denver?

The offensive stats are ugly.

20 Denver 1st Downs to 12 Bengals ones.

35:11 Denver ToP to 24:49 Bengals.

49 Bengals rushing yards to 112 Broncos rushing yards. 1.9 yards per rush for the Bengals.

Where we won the game was 2 Denver TO's to 0 Bengals. The turnovers flipped the game as our offense struggles without a short field.

Last I knew, denver was considered to have a pretty good D. In fact, the denver D was #1 in the NFL in 3rd down stops. 2 of the Bengals TDs were on 3rd down plays. In denver, at altitude. Of all the games to pick to point out how bad the offense was, this one was probably a bad choice. Even before the season began, I don't think anyone expected the Bengals to go into denver and light up the scoreboard. Bottom line....20-17 Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh...there were people cheering on the Bengals wallets in free agency saying Whitworth was old and we drafted a guy in the 1st to replace him and that Zeitler was way overpaid and we made the right move. They just don't talk about it since it's been obvious the line was terrible.

I plead guilty as charged....
I thought Ced & Fisher would be ok this yr at the OT spots....
& yes I thought the rams overpaid for Whit & same w/ Zeitler....
I thought the O-line would jell into a slightly sub par unit this yr but improve in time....next yr be average...
but I never thought they would be this bad....& imo, it's the entire line....all of them suck....
SMH...
problem is Ced & Fisher signed 4 yr deals....this is only yr #2....so it looks they will be here 2 more years.... Cry
But this is Bodines last yr.... ThumbsUp
so he should leave in FA I hope....maybe draft his replacement in rd 2-3..?? 
  seems every yr the 1st rd pick I want they don't choose....haha
last yr I wanted O.J. Howard...but whatever....seems Erickson can do a great job....did we really need Ross....??  will he ever take another snap this yr..? I feel like i'm in a time loop.... Sick
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Where we won the game was 2 Denver TO's to 0 Bengals. The turnovers flipped the game as our offense struggles without a short field.

Be prepared for an ultra conservative game plan against pitt that yields about 14 punts....Marv:  "You see, when we win the turnover battle, we win!"  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 08:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I look at the RBs similar to the QB getting rattled behind a terrible line. When they're not finding holes 9 out of 10 times, they probably don't know what to do with a hole when they get one.

I've noticed we've been doing a lot of run plays wayyy to the outside...Almost avoiding the line entirely. This line can't run block, period. Mixon is at 2.9 YPC, Hill averaged 3.1 and Gio is at 3.5 and quickly falling. 

This is a trio of 2nd round talents. Some of the top 3 prospects at RB in their respective drafts. Looking at this and how we've ranked 20th or worse in YPC every year since 2006 (sans 2014), I can't view it as a RB problem. PA has been the only constant.

I've been harping about this since I joined the boards in 2011, and year after year, our run game continues to be weak. Right now weak isn't even the word.

When everyone was wanting Mixon getting 20 carries a game early in the year, I argued that running him behind this offensive line may ruin him and make him develop bad tendencies.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 08:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was always Team Whit, but I will still totally admit I also said that I wouldn't want Zeitler at that $. He has proven it in Cleveland, too. He is a slightly a over average player, getting paid like he is elite.

So I still do not want Zeitler, but I would have either drafted a Guard in the 2nd or 3rd, or have used some of that money on a GOOD free agent OL.

I can't help but think there was a happy medium. Before he was a free agent the Bengals reportedly offered Zeitler $5.5 million a year. DeCastro signed for $10 million.

Had the Bengals offered him $9-10 million a year, maybe he signs here?

But, the reality is the Bengals probably won't pay ANY Guard over $6-7 million a year. And the other reality is that Tackles are coming to the Pro's less ready to contribute. So that makes the chances of fielding a good offensive line with their strategy much harder.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:49 PM)Steve Wrote: I plead guilty as charged....
I thought the O-line would jell into a slightly sub par unit this yr but improve in time....next yr be average...
but I never thought they would be this bad....& imo, it's the entire line....all of them suck....
SMH...
problem is Ced & Fisher signed 4 yr deals....this is only yr #2....so it looks they will be here 2 more years.... Cry
last yr I wanted O.J. Howard...but whatever....seems Erickson can do a great job....did we really need Ross....??  will he ever take another snap this yr..? I feel like i'm in a time loop.... Sick

They've been here 3 years...but Fisher signed a 4 year deal. Ced's has an option for Year 5 I believe.

I see the Bengals replacing Bodine as his contract is up. I have no clue if they will address Tackle. They have guys signed under cheap rookie deals. They tend to not move away from guys like that.

IF they change offensive line coaches, they may keep them and hope the coach fixes it.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:49 PM)Steve Wrote: I plead guilty as charged....
SMH...

The only saving grace with Ross is that guys like Howard, Allen, Foster who I think would have been our pick had we passed on Ross...haven't been that great this year.

Howard has mainly been a blocking TE for TB with Brate being their pass catcher. Howard has started seeing more action in the passing game recently though.
Reply/Quote