Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
36 Runs, 27 Passes
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm very nervous about how the offensive line and Burrows knee will hold up against a legit defense like the Ravens and Steelers that we play twice. We can't beat the Steelers with this conservative 3 and out style. We can't beat them attacking if we're gunna give up a bunch of pressure and free shots on Burrow. I hope to see some improvement in pass pro in the weeks ahead. I hope to see Burrow stay healthy and not take so many hits. I'm more nervous than I was last year about him getting hurt. I'm more confident in our team, but we need to get better in terms of decision making from ZT, pass protection, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:00 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Burrow had one BAD miss that I remember and that was to Thomas on a deep ball that would have been a TD. Thomas was wide open.

I remember that play...could have been coffin nails.  I think they said Thomas slipped coming out of his break or he was supposed to come back to the front pylon.

Not saying Burrow is infallible, but I believe he threw that ball where it was supposed to be.  Imagine his stat line if it connected.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 09:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor and Joe Burrow took what the Vikings gave them.  The sacks were very interesting because the guards and the tackles were better in pass protection.  Trey Hopkins, the center, will improve as he recovers from injury; he was definitely the weakest link on the offensive line.  Except for Hopkins the sacks came from blown assignments, not from bad blocking technique.

This is fixable.  Frank Pollack is obviously coaching better technique but assignments are being missed and there were more than a few free paths to Joe Burrow.  Jim Turner had the players mostly in the correct position but their technique was so bad they couldn’t sustain a block.

Some of those were supposed to be picked up by the running back. Remember overpaid Gio? If he was in yesterday's game Burrow only gets sacked 3 times.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 09:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Some of those were supposed to be picked up by the running back. Remember overpaid Gio? If he was in yesterday's game Burrow only gets sacked 3 times.

Yes, specifically the Vigil sack. Mixon protected the wrong side there. He’s a very capable blocker, and that was a mental mistake on him. I don’t remember seeing him make any other mistakes in protection after that, thankfully. Perrine also whiffed. I’m sure it will be addressed vehemently leading up to game 2, and despite the snafus, they weren’t horrible.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 10:15 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: Yes, specifically the Vigil sack.   Mixon protected the wrong side there.  He’s a very capable blocker, and that was a mental mistake on him.  I don’t remember seeing him make any other mistakes in protection after that, thankfully.   Perrine also whiffed.   I’m sure it will be addressed vehemently leading up to game 2, and despite the snafus, they weren’t horrible.

No, they weren't, but Gio makes both those blocks. It's why he was paid as much as he was. I understand the team letting him go and saving the money, but it is going to take some time for Mixon or Perine to become as good as he was, if they ever do.
Reply/Quote
If you add the 5 sacks, it comes out to 36 called runs and 32 called passes.

It's really good balance. Like...shockingly so haha.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 08:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Joe Burrow may indeed become elite someday and yes, we all love to see him throw accurate passes; he was 20/27 yesterday for 261 yards and two touchdowns.  That’s a job well done especially considering he took five sacks.  

This success was set up by the “other” Joe: Joe Mixon.  Joe ran 29 times for 127 yards and a touchdown.  A good run game forces the defense to “cheat up” which means moving toward the line which leaves the field behind them more open thereby increasing the secondary’s susceptibility.  

This run-pass balance will fluctuate depending on the defense but I personally like it when the Bengals pass and run in near equal amounts to keep the defense guessing.

if we didnt have that type of balance burrow might not have made it out of the game
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 11:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only other bad miss was the one he put into Alexander’s chest, and Boyd saved his ass on that one lol.

I think that was more a miscommunication on the route rather than a truly bad pass.

Great news this week is the Bears allowed the highest passer rating last week to Stafford. Hopefully Burrow can make it 2 weeks in a row for da Bears given up highest passer rating.
Reply/Quote