Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPN anyone?
I finally subscribed via NordVPN for security purposes and to stop companies and spammers from tracking my every move not to mention it makes it easier to login and watch or listen to games not on in my area.. 
For now I'm just using the 1 month deal, but plan to subscribe to a yearly plan next month. 
There are free VPN's, but their services are spotty at best and they sell your private information..  Plus. . Dark (deep) web.. Spooooooky, eh?  First thing my son asked is if I was going to buy illegal drugs online.  Answer : uhhh...no.. Those are easy enough to buy locally anyway.  Duh.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One of the uses of a good VPN (Virtual private network)  is when you live outside the area and want to watch or listen to games. Say you live in Texas for example, but the Bengals are only broadcast locally you can  simply log into a local to Cincinnati server and bingo..NordVPN has servers in nearly every major metropolitan area inside the US and most every other developed nation.
That's really just the tip of the iceberg though.. Lots of other great reasons to subscribe and use a virtual private network over just using your regular internet servers plus it's dirt cheap for what you're getting for the money. 
https://www.cogipas.com/what-is-a-vpn-used-for-all-vpn-uses/

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 12:49 AM)grampahol Wrote: I finally subscribed via NordVPN for security purposes and to stop companies and spammers from tracking my every move not to mention it makes it easier to login and watch or listen to games not on in my area.. 
For now I'm just using the 1 month deal, but plan to subscribe to a yearly plan next month. 
There are free VPN's, but their services are spotty at best and they sell your private information..  Plus. . Dark (deep) web.. Spooooooky, eh?  First thing my son asked is if I was going to buy illegal drugs online.  Answer : uhhh...no.. Those are easy enough to buy locally anyway.  Duh.. 

Yes and no. A lot of how you are tracked is through logins such as gmail, Facebook,etc that follow you beyond their site and collect the data of where you go, which the VPN won’t stop. If you have a smart phone they are tracking you anyways based on pinging iBeacons in stores through the blue tooth and WiFi most people leave on. As for security it doesn’t really provide much protection other than against man in the middle attacks which are really rare unless you are a high level government employee. Most security breaches come from phishing or malware.

It doesn’t really hurt anything but the value of them unless you are engaging in some pretty nefereous things on line is minimal.
Reply/Quote
I tend to use a lot of sites that want to sell a subscription such as the NYTimes for example,  Cincinnati's Enquirer another where you get x number of free articles then you get the pay wall.. VPNs are a nice work around as opposed to subscibing to every news source I like reading. $2.99 a month is a lot less expensive than individual subscriptions to several news sources . The VPN alone doesn't stop it, but use encrypted browsers that don't let the sites track users and voila! The Ghostery browser seems to work well, but there are other reasons I use a VPN. I'm not very good at explaining these things and too lazy to copy and paste other people's explainations, but I do understand them kind of like I understand the entire process of painting cars and trucks, but don't ask me to explain the whole process ..or writing and setting up web sites and servers.. I can do it, but I'd be damned if I could explain how I do it..

Reply/Quote