Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd & 1 In The Super Bowl
We all agree that Taylor made a stupid call on third and 1 when he tried to run Perine from the shotgun because even he admits it, but, what would have worked even better than Burrow under center and handing it to Mixon on a dive, is having Burrow line up in the shotgun, start his cadence, walk up in back of the center and start pointing to defenders like he was directing blocks, put his hands on the center's butt, push up, call hike (probably wouldn't even need to), and run a QB sneak in the A gap (or 2 gap, depending on your terminology), and he easily would have gotten the first down.

Like I said, keep it simple.

(I can't find the video on Youtube, but I'd appreciate it if someone can post it,)
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately Brad, I'll disagree with this sentiment as we all saw how many times we couldn't convert a QB Sneak all year and this was with the game on the line. Plus, it would throw JB unnecessarily into harms way with defenders having free shots to hit him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the missed tackle by Bates on 3rd and 11 earlier in the game was just as big. He had Kupp dead in his sights plenty of distance short of the first down and the sideline to work with. What does he do? Dive at his legs and miss. He seems to do that quite often which is why I wasn't really concerned if we kept him or let him walk. If that had been on their final drive we'd have been talking about it just a much as handing the ball to Perine. I'm not 100% sure, since watching the game again is so painful, but I believe that drive ended in one of LA's touchdowns.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 04:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We all agree that Taylor made a stupid call on third and 1 when he tried to run Perine from the shotgun because even he admits it, but, what would have worked even better than Burrow under center and handing it to Mixon on a dive, is having Burrow line up in the shotgun, start his cadence, walk up in back of the center and start pointing to defenders like he was directing blocks, put his hands on the center's butt, push up, call hike (probably wouldn't even need to), and run a QB sneak in the A gap (or 2 gap, depending on your terminology), and he easily would have gotten the first down.

Like I said, keep it simple.

(I can't find the video on Youtube, but I'd appreciate it if someone can post it,)

Brad,

I could not watch YouTube for a week after the Superbowl, to many what ifs.  Bottom line is if their OL was better, they win.  Just remember this will be their first of many.
Reply/Quote
[Image: UaO70UZ.gif]

Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Defenders probably would have shifted into the A and B gap as soon as Burrow went under center.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:36 PM)Nickslycat Wrote: Brad,

I could not watch YouTube for a week after the Superbowl, to many what ifs.  Bottom line is if their OL was better, they win.  Just remember this will be their first of many.

I sure hope you're right but I feel a Dan Marino scenario is just at likely as multiple SB's. We had a lot of the things that need to go right happen this past year. I do believe if our Online is even average in that SB we win. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:31 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Unfortunately Brad, I'll disagree with this sentiment as we all saw how many times we couldn't convert a QB Sneak all year and this was with the game on the line. Plus, it would throw JB unnecessarily into harms way with defenders having free shots to hit him.

Joe Burrow tried 3 QB sneaks on the goal line last year and failed to gain a yard on any of them.

He also attempted to sneak on 2 other 3rd/4th downs and only converted once.

So Burrow was only successful one time in 5 QB sneaks last year.

But I already know that reality and stats don't matter much to certain people.Wink
Reply/Quote
Also to add, I know that 3rd and 1 play was crucial at the time. But that wasn't the reason the Bengals lost the Super Bowl. They got out played and the O-line was the biggest weakness allowing one of the best DTs in the NFL and other defenders to inflict a lot of damage throughout the game including 7 sacks. The game is over, it sucked to see the Bengals lose after being so close. But focusing on one play when the Bengals were basically in a desperation situation by then in my opinion seems odd to me. Just my opinion.

On to next year.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Defenders probably would have shifted into the A and B gap as soon as Burrow went under center.

They would have. Just like they did in the Raiders playoff game. 

Probably has a 50/50 shot, at best, converting.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 06:09 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Also to add, I know that 3rd and 1 play was crucial at the time.  But that wasn't the reason the Bengals lost the Super Bowl.  They got out played and the O-line was the biggest weakness allowing one of the best DTs in the NFL and other defenders to inflict a lot of damage throughout the game including 7 sacks.  The game is over, it sucked to see the Bengals lose after being so close.  But focusing on one play when the Bengals were basically in a desperation situation by then in my opinion seems odd to me.  Just my opinion.

On to next year.

ThumbsUp

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 06:09 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Also to add, I know that 3rd and 1 play was crucial at the time. But that wasn't the reason the Bengals lost the Super Bowl. They got out played and the O-line was the biggest weakness allowing one of the best DTs in the NFL and other defenders to inflict a lot of damage throughout the game including 7 sacks. The game is over, it sucked to see the Bengals lose after being so close. But focusing on one play when the Bengals were basically in a desperation situation by then in my opinion seems odd to me. Just my opinion.

On to next year.

Yep focusing on one play is silly. Lots of blame to go around. Burrow didn’t play his best from field general aspect I’m told. Zac Taylor didn’t have a great last series as play caller. The OL blocked poorly period. Burrow gets just a little more time and he delivers as does Taylor’s play calls. But really???? I mean I’m not complaining how this team played in the playoffs and when games were on the line. They delivered. Anxious to see this offense with a solid line and Joe Mixon I’ve said could be unstoppable with daylight. Right now he’s in a cave.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:34 PM)Mer Wrote: I think the missed tackle by Bates on 3rd and 11 earlier in the game was just as big. He had Kupp dead in his sights plenty of distance short of the first down and the sideline to work with. What does he do? Dive at his legs and miss. He seems to do that quite often which is why I wasn't really concerned if we kept him or let him walk. If that had been on their final drive we'd have been talking about it just a much as handing the ball to Perine. I'm not 100% sure, since watching the game again is so painful, but I believe that drive ended in one of LA's touchdowns.

Im still disappointed in Boyd, our most seasoned playmaker. The drop was obviously bad but we had them on the ropes after Higgins incidental contact TD Bomb and Awuzie's interception.

3rd down in the redzone, CJ out wide runs streak right into the safety driving him into the endzone, Boyd in the slot has an option route, in or out... DB is very obviously set up inside, Boyd goes inside for some crazy reason.  Burrow pumps to throw outside had to stop himself and was sacked. Forced to FG and momentum killer.

One time that we actually saw Burrow a tad pissed and he gestured at Boyd coming off the field "outside".

I'm also pissed at the oline line, the lack of screen passes, Perine, not doubling Kupp after OBJ went down, etc so no need to come to Boyd's defense too crazy. But in huge games the vets making the most money cannot make the silly bad plays in crucial times.

Reply/Quote
Why?

Just why?

I'm logging out again till the draft
Reply/Quote
Why, again?

Doesn’t FA start this week?

Why keep living in the past?

The Super Bowl was an amazing experience both good and bad. Let it go and focus on the now and work on how this team improves to get back next year. All teams are looking to take there shots at Joe.
Reply/Quote
Isn't time to wig out for free agency yet? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I generally haven't thought about the SB in weeks...
Reply/Quote
Just let it go
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 08:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Just let it go

Reply/Quote
The problem with trying QB sneaks is Trey Hopkins. He is horrible in the run game. He is a big reason the Bengals struggle on those short yardage situations. You have many people that keep saying we should bring him back which I just dont understand. He severely limits what the offense can do. The Super Bowl is one glaring example. Another is the Chiefs regular season game at the end where the Bengals were trying to punch it in and couldnt do it. They needed a penalty then a pass to win because the line anchored by Hopkins couldnt get the push to run the ball.
Reply/Quote