Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
3rd Round-Zachary Carter-DT-Florida
(04-30-2022, 09:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And really there are no perfect prospects in the 3rd Round. Guys will all have flaws.

Heck in this draft, the #1 pick has questionmarks.

I think many people wanted Winfrey with this pick instead of Carter, as no one thought Winfrey would make it out of Rd 2.
Carter had pretty solid production for 3 seasons at Florida, which is better than Winfrey did.
17.0 sacks across 3 seasons whereas Winfrey had just 6.0 across 2 seasons.

Get Carter some added bulk and I think he could become a menacing interior rusher. He can be a rotational nickel for now though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think many people wanted Winfrey with this pick instead of Carter, as no one thought Winfrey would make it out of Rd 2.
Carter had pretty solid production for 3 seasons at Florida, which is better than Winfrey did.

Get Carter some added bulk and I think he could become a menacing interior rusher. He can be a rotational nickel for now though.

I was high on Winfrey due to the Senior Bowl MVP and how dominate he was at practice, specifically pass rush. I understand he was bad at run defense so it makes sense why he wouldn't be considered for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
4 less reps on the bench than Ja’Marr?

Super-long arms.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think many people wanted Winfrey with this pick instead of Carter, as no one thought Winfrey would make it out of Rd 2.

Carter is going to be in the rotation day 1. They are impressed enough with him that he’s getting playing time immediately
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 10:23 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Carter is going to be in the rotation day 1. They are impressed enough with him that he’s getting playing time immediately

Really, I see all 3 of our picks getting atleast some playing time as rookies.

We have Ossai coming back too.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: PFF hates the pick. I'll trust the coaches with this one.

Wasn't it just last year that PFF gave the same OT their highest ranking in both pass blocking and run blocking?

And he was selected in the 4th round?

There is a good reason the NFL teams don't pay attention to PFF player ratings.  The teams utilize some of the raw objective stats that PFF produces, but the player rankings are useless on draft day.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 01:00 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Career depth guy

He won't be here past his rookie contract... I'd bet anything on it... Enjoy watching him in pre season in the 4th quarter..
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 10:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really, I see all 3 of our picks getting atleast some playing time as rookies.

We have Ossai coming back too.

I expect Britt to compete for apples starting spot and Dax will play in multiple spots
Reply/Quote
Great pick. Will fill in at 3T nicely.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 10:07 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I was high on Winfrey due to the Senior Bowl MVP and how dominate he was at practice, specifically pass rush. I understand he was bad at run defense so it makes sense why he wouldn't be considered for us.

A lot people were wrong on Winfrey including myself.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 10:23 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Carter is going to be in the rotation day 1. They are impressed enough with him that he’s getting playing time immediately

This isn't a good thing. The pass rush wasn't good enough last year and it's gotten worse going into next season. You're replacing  pro bowl guy like Ogunjobi with a third round rookie. It's honestly the one part of this team I'm a bit concerned with. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 01:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Bengals identified their needs and filled them very well in these first three rounds. I think they got extreme value with Hill in the first (he was being talked about as a top 15 to 20 player routinely). I think they got good value with CTB in the 2nd (He was being talked about right around where we picked him) and I am curious to see how Zach Carter works out. He is the most controversial pick so far because there does not seem to be a consensus about him. Some publications had him as a 3rd to 4th rounder (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zach-carter/32004341-5278-6801-508d-115b8e175a05 https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Zachary-Carter-DL-Florida https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/zachary-carter/wyjwkbS5zA)

Others, like Dane Brugler and PFF, had him as a 6th round prospect.

It is worth noting, however, that Dane Brugler had him rated strictly as an edge defender. He did not put him in the IDL category. He wrote:

The way he talks about him, I can see why he would rate him as a 6th round player at edge. But some of his weaknesses (lacking flexibility to bend around the edge, below average production [presumably for a DE, as his production is outstanding for a DT], underdeveloped counters) seem to be alleviated by moving him inside and some of his strengths (transfers energy with his first two steps, quickness to fire off the ball, excellent motor and effort) all seem ideal for an interior pass rusher.

It's worth noting many of his weaknesses were also listed for Perrion Winfrey (body stiffness, below average Change of direction, struggles to break down in small spaces, underdeveloped pass rush counters, lacking pass rush instincts, poor tackle production) and their strengths are similar as well (length, powerful fast hands, good pass rush moves), but Winfrey was graded as a DT, not an edge. And he happens to have Winfrey as a 2nd round player, something we already know the NFL disagrees with.

One thing Dane mentions several times with Winfrey is that he was not overly impressed with the tape of Winfrey during college ("A two-year starter at Oklahoma, Winfrey lined up at nose guard in former defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s 3-3-5 base scheme. It was tough to get an accurate read on him in the Sooners’ slanting front, however, his skills were unleashed at the Senior Bowl and allowed him to show scouts his flashes of dominance."), but was blown away by his performance at the Senior Bowl. So, you know, that may be the dividing line here. Because if there's one thing we've learned over the years, it's that the Senior Bowl creates hype for players that the NFL doesn't really carry over (you saw it with the Senior Bowl's darling, Jermaine Johnson, falling from where media reporters thought he'd go [top 10] to right where he was predicted to go prior to the Senior Bowl [late first - early second]).
I hope this guy isnt the "Drew Sample" of this draft...Ive some good and some bad stuff on him...time will tell.....but looking at the pick, he looks like a Cam Sample clone?? 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 10:39 AM)Tony Wrote: He won't be here past his rookie contract... I'd bet anything on it... Enjoy watching him in pre season in the 4th quarter..

What don't you like about him?

He's pretty athletic for his size, has position versatility, has long arms, and he has proven college production.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Yep he'll likely play next to BJ Hill on passing downs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Seems like Lou gets what he wants, this year.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What don't you like about him?

He's pretty athletic for his size, has position versatility, has long arms, and he has proven college production.

We didnt draft his guy, so he's crying all over the board about it.  Rnd 1 pick too.  Apparently Tony is a closet GM and knows better than all of us, and the team of course.
Reply/Quote
I asked my Pops (Packers fan) what he thought about their draft picks. He replied with "They know what theyre doing" referring to scouts, gm, coaches, etc. which made me think that we have to trust that our guys in the draft room are making the best decisions given the situation. I trust our draft room more than I do the websites that give rankings. I think we'll be ok.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:05 AM)Goalpost Wrote: A lot people were wrong on Winfrey including myself.  

It has to be something more than just play on the field. Remember we had PW in for a Top 30 visit. I heard him being interviewed on Sirius radio and the dude sounded like he was baked. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It has to be something more than just play on the field. Remember we had PW in for a Top 30 visit. I heard him being interviewed on Sirius radio and the dude sounded like he was baked. 

FWIW, marijuana is legal in Oklahoma.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:09 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This isn't a good thing. The pass rush wasn't good enough last year and it's gotten worse going into next season. You're replacing  pro bowl guy like Ogunjobi with a third round rookie. It's honestly the one part of this team I'm a bit concerned with. 

We have Ossai and Hubert coming back off injury, plus Cam Sample is Kareem have another year under their belts. They could also add some veteran depth and maybe even Ogunjobi back.
Reply/Quote