Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd down sacks
To make it Bengal-relevant, I am throwing out the issues/sacks on third and not always long. It was often 3rd and 5.

My argument was that the routes ZT has designed take too long to develop and the WRs are not able to uncover quickly enough to get Burrow a target. Since the team seems diametrically opposed to the screen game, I suggested that Chase should be used on more quick tosses to move the chains on these downs.

Several people felt that is a waste of Chase and takes away the deep ball.

I wanted to point out that in the FIRST DRIVE of the game, the Chiefs moved the ball right down the field and Hill was targeted three times for about 30 yards. None of those passes were more than 3 yards downfield. They were high %, low-risk, chain-moving plays.

Hill still got shots down the field, but he allowed Mahommes to get in a groove and get that first score.

I think this is all that is missing from the offense. The line has issues holding up on those longer routes, so design it with the ball out in a second. Burrow can also survey the field to see if he has time to go downfield, if not, check it down to your best weapon that can uncover the fastest. It protects Burrow and it keeps the offense on the field. If you watch the Pats, Bucs, or even the Chiefs last night, this is a staple of their offense and something the Bengals simply haven't shown.

Just my two cents.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sometimes I dream about what our offense would look like with Andy Reid calling the plays... *drool*
Reply/Quote
Need to use Uzomah more for the quick passes.

Reply/Quote
a Quick slant is all you need...get the ball in his hands fast and let him work for the yards
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 09:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wanted to point out that in the FIRST DRIVE of the game, the Chiefs moved the ball right down the field and Hill was targeted three times for about 30 yards.  None of those passes were more than 3 yards downfield.  They were high %, low-risk, chain-moving plays.  

In the five games prior to the Niners Chase barely averaged 10 yards a receptions (20 for 204 yds).
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 10:07 AM)AttackZ Wrote: Sometimes I dream about what our offense would look like with Andy Reid calling the plays... *drool*

I specifically recall seeing Bieniemy calling some plays against the Chargers last night. Not sure if he was calling them all, but definitely some.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 09:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To make it Bengal-relevant, I am throwing out the issues/sacks on third and not always long.  It was often 3rd and 5.  

My argument was that the routes ZT has designed take too long to develop and the WRs are not able to uncover quickly enough to get Burrow a target.  Since the team seems diametrically opposed to the screen game, I suggested that Chase should be used on more quick tosses to move the chains on these downs.

Several people felt that is a waste of Chase and takes away the deep ball.  

I wanted to point out that in the FIRST DRIVE of the game, the Chiefs moved the ball right down the field and Hill was targeted three times for about 30 yards.  None of those passes were more than 3 yards downfield.  They were high %, low-risk, chain-moving plays.  

Hill still got shots down the field, but he allowed Mahommes to get in a groove and get that first score.  

I think this is all that is missing from the offense.  The line has issues holding up on those longer routes, so design it with the ball out in a second.  Burrow can also survey the field to see if he has time to go downfield, if not, check it down to your best weapon that can uncover the fastest.  It protects Burrow and it keeps the offense on the field.  If you watch the Pats, Bucs, or even the Chiefs last night, this is a staple of their offense and something the Bengals simply haven't shown.

Just my two cents.

unless we actually have the designed plays it is way too hard to judge the routes, could i not also say Burrow is holding on the ball longer than the designed route, i would not know that answer either... 

Most short routes are not going to take more than 2 to 3 secs so decent blocking on most 3rd and 5 and less the route and time to throw should be there
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I specifically recall seeing Bieniemy calling some plays against the Chargers last night. Not sure if he was calling them all, but definitely some.

If the Bengals have any serious interest in hiring Bienemy, they had better get him on the phone.  After the Urban Meyer firing, some are speculating that Bienemy is one of the top candidates available for the Jacksonville job.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the Bengals have any serious interest in hiring Bienemy, they had better get him on the phone.  After the Urban Meyer firing, some are speculating that Bienemy is one of the top candidates available for the Jacksonville job.

Time will tell, but I don't think Bienemy would come here to be our OC and ZT getting fired seems like a long shot.  I could see the Jaguars trying to get Byron Leftoversandwich in as their HC, though.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Time will tell, but I don't think Bienemy would come here to be our OC and ZT getting fired seems like a long shot.  I could see the Jaguars trying to get Byron Leftoversandwich in as their HC, though.

Agree, he was on the same short list that I saw Bienemy's name on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree, he was on the same short list that I saw Bienemy's name on.

Leftwich seems like the slam-dunk candidate, though.  He has the Jaguars connection, he's the most noteworthy OC going right now, and he'd be going from an NFC team to the AFC so there would be less hard feelings with the move.  As far as the Bengals factoring into this, I'm back to sincerely doubting we are looking for a new HC any time soon (and I'm not saying that because I love ZT or have a lot of faith in him).
Reply/Quote