Cody Core          WR
Mark Walton       RB
Jordan Evans      LB
Cethan Carter     TE
Niles Scott          DL
Jordan Franks     TE
Hunter Sharp      WR

SIGNED PLAYERS

Please note: I did this with fanspeak ultimate GM and it only reports the cap hit at the end, but since I didn't write down the actual contracts I will estimate length and value.  Also, I am not taking into account camp bodies and veteran signings that will be made to fill up rest of roster and resigning of guys like Trey Hopkins,  but as you will see there is still tons of cap room to make those signings.  If you have any questions just ask.

Name                    Position       Cap Hit
CJ Uzomah              TE              3,000,000  
Darqueze Dennard    CB             5,250,000  (7.5 million 4 year)
Trenton Brown         OT             9,300,000  (15.5 mil 5yrs 40% guarenteed)
C.J. Mosley               LB             5,863,132  (9.7 mil 5yrs)
Stephen Gostkowski  K               3,500,000  (5.0 mil 4yrs)

Team Finances Before Draft

Salary Cap: 190,000,000
Player Salaries: 155,480,809
Dead Money: 2,171,116

Carryover: 7,400,000
Reserved for Draft Picks: 5,000,000
Cap Space Remaining: 34,748,075

DRAFT  (Player Positions)  2 LB , 1 LB/EDGE Hybrid, 1 Edge, 1 Guard, 1 TE , 2 CB , 1 OT

TRADE PARTNER:
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
SENT:
  • ROUND: 3 PICK: 8
  • ROUND: 6 PICK: 37
  • ROUND: 6 PICK: 40

RECEIVED:
  • ROUND: 3 PICK: 6

R1  

LB DEVIN WHITE

LSU

Devin White will be either an All Pro Will linebacker or mediocre linebacker who never develops natural LB skills.  I would have preferred to trade back, but I don't think many people want to trade up into these picks.

R2

LB MACK WILSON

ALABAMA

Mack Wilson will fit much better into a SAM cover linebacker because he lacks natural blitzing ability. He's Tall and has good size which could help cover Tight Ends in the NFL.

R3 

G CHRIS LINDSTROM

BOSTON COLLEGE

The guard position is something we need to address because it has been unstable since Zeitler left.  I would love to see Westerman also get his shot and Lindstrom has experience playing at Tackle as well so he conceivably be a backup in that roll.   The guy just plays mean and he's ranked as my #2 Guard in this draft behind Cody Ford who is my #1 Tackle and Guard. 

R4

TE ISAAC NAUTA

GEORGIA

Kittle 2.0 enough said?  Great hands, an exceptional blocker for the run game, and he will be a superstar at the NFL level.  My sleeper pick of this draft.

R5 

CB JUSTIN LAYNE

MICHIGAN STATE

Justin Layne 6'3" tall frame is a developmental CB that could end up being a Richard Sherman or Rotational guy.  We need more Corner's and after letting go of Kirkpatrick I would pick up another in Free agency.  I see some good talent and he could be a starter at the next level.

R6 

EDGE JOHN COMINSKY

CHARLESTON

Ok So when i get to the 6th round of the draft I tend to look for two things.  Guys who excelled at smaller schools and have shown the raw tools to develop and big school recruits with lots of talent, but had a lackluster college career.  John Cominsky is a small school edge rusher with great size and lots of athletic ability.  I think if he sheds about 10 pounds to gain a faster first step and be coached up he could be a rotational guy.  During the Senior bowl he consistently got stood up by the RT, but I do see something there.

R6

LB SIONE TAKITAKI

BYU

Shows talent as an edge rusher and could also be used in blitz packages as a SAM LB.  He was one of the stars of the East West shrine game.

R6 P38  

OT MITCH HYATT

CLEMSON

Former 5 star recruit for Clemson that had some ups and downs, but never fully developed and came out a year early in the draft.  The guy has the talent and athletics to be elite so maybe with some coaching we can gain some value.

R7 

CB JORDAN BROWN

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Another possible backup corner from a small school who is starting to gain some hype.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm confused on some of your financial assumptions, so let me get answers to those first then I'll look at the rest.

Dead Cap:
Total dead cap from proposed cuts: 7 Million
Total Dead cap already for 2019: 2 Million (rounded down)
Total Dead cap before draft: 9 Million

Signings:
Are these cap figures what you expect to be for year 1? It looks like you are making the assumption they are all very heavily back loaded based on their cap it vs average dollar amount.

Draft Pool Reserve:
You have it at 5 Million but it is actually 9.64 million as of right now assuming we don't move and we pay to slot.

Even worst case in most of these situations we will have money, but you are underestimating the year 1 cap hits of Brown and Mosley by roughly 30-40%. I think it's doable but would have to run the numbers with a better idea of structure and how the contracts would age.
Reply/Quote
I really like the players you selected. I would, however, love to see a "realistic" free agency and cuts. I don't think there's any way the Bengals cut all those guys and I don't think there is any way they sign ANY of the external free agents that you have listed.

That being said,

It seems that the first 2 picks will either be LB/OT or OT/LB.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2019, 05:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I really like the players you selected.  I would, however, love to see a "realistic" free agency and cuts.  I don't think there's any way the Bengals cut all those guys and I don't think there is any way they sign ANY of the external free agents that you have listed.

That being said,

It seems that the first 2 picks will either be LB/OT or OT/LB.

Yea the issue is if you cut Dre an already thin CB room gets horribly thin. I think we are stuck with him one more year which is why I tell people not to sleep on an early CB pick this year in the draft. I could also see someone like Tony Lippet getting signed as depth because of his background with our DC in two places. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2019, 05:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm confused on some of your financial assumptions, so let me get answers to those first then I'll look at the rest.

Dead Cap:
Total dead cap from proposed cuts: 7 Million
Total Dead cap already for 2019: 2 Million (rounded down)
Total Dead cap before draft: 9 Million

Signings:
Are these cap figures what you expect to be for year 1? It looks like you are making the assumption they are all very heavily back loaded based on their cap it vs average dollar amount.

Draft Pool Reserve:
You have it at 5 Million but it is actually 9.64 million as of right now assuming we don't move and we pay to slot.

Even worst case in most of these situations we will have money, but you are underestimating the year 1 cap hits of Brown and Mosley by roughly 30-40%. I think it's doable but would have to run the numbers with a better idea of structure and how the contracts would age.

The results are what fanspeak spit out after completing the ultimate GM.  Like I said I didn't go thru it by hand, but I assume they are recovering some of this cap hit year 1 thru signing bonuses.  It didn't really give me any clear numbers on how is structures it deals, I simply put in the yearly contract number of years and % guaranteed.  After the combine I will do a deep dive mock where i hand structure everything.  

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2019, 05:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea the issue is if you cut Dre an already thin CB room gets horribly thin. I think we are stuck with him one more year which is why I tell people not to sleep on an early CB pick this year in the draft. I could also see someone like Tony Lippet getting signed as depth because of his background with our DC in two places. 

you shouldn't be forced into overpaying a guy who doesn't perform at a certain level.  it's better to take a chance on finding a guy mid or late draft and in free agency.  I would prefer them to chances on young guys than be stuck with dre one more year

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2019, 06:12 PM)Okeana Wrote: you shouldn't be forced into overpaying a guy who doesn't perform at a certain level.  it's better to take a chance on finding a guy mid or late draft and in free agency.  I would prefer them to chances on young guys than be stuck with dre one more year

The issue is depth. Can he be a 4th corner? Sure he’d be a good fourth corner, the money is a sunk cost and your paying him to leave so you might as well keep him. We saw last year after him and Dennard got hurt we basically have nothing beyond are starting three. I think even if you keep Dre you need another vet to come in along with possibly a mid round pick.
Reply/Quote