Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can still remember watching this happen so damn vividly. What an electrifying moment it was!

Reply/Quote
I wasn't there live but remember watching the game when he did it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When someone mentions 9-11 Pete thinks they are talking about the date he broke the hit record.
Reply/Quote
Ahhhhhhh

The memories
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 04:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I wasn't there live but remember watching the game when he did it.

I watched it on TV too. Man, as electric as it was over the tube, I can't imagine what it must have felt like in the stadium.
Reply/Quote
Watched on TV as well but did have two friends that were attending live.

Great memories

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I wonder how much that piece of turf went for when they tore down the stadium? I remember having the opportunity (can't remember when or how) to buy a piece of Riverfront turf (maybe a 700wlw commercial, tv commercial) as a keepsake. Not that particular piece, but a piece.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 10:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I watched it on TV too. Man, as electric as it was over the tube, I can't imagine what it must have felt like in the stadium.

No doubt.....I still get chills when I see the replays!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 07:51 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I wonder how much that piece of turf went for when they tore down the stadium? I remember having the opportunity (can't remember when or how) to buy a piece of Riverfront turf (maybe a 700wlw commercial, tv commercial) as a keepsake. Not that particular piece, but a piece.

They have a plague in the cement in the parking garage underneath GABP where the ball was supposed to have landed. I'd be interested to know how they calculated that during construction and exactly how close it actually is.

Bonus question. Does anyone remember the game before he broke the record?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 10:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Bonus question. Does anyone remember the game before he broke the record?

I want to say we were playing the Cubs.  And Pete almost set the record at Wrigley Field.  No sure how many hits he had that day...but he had probably a couple.  Some assumed he would take himself out of the game to set the record at home.  But not Pete.  I believe he had another at bat with 4191 hits in Chicago but made an out.  
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 09:21 AM)Goalpost Wrote:   I want to say we were playing the Cubs.  And Pete almost set the record at Wrigley Field.  No sure how many hits he had that day...but he had probably a couple.  Some assumed he would take himself out of the game to set the record at home.  But not Pete.  I believe he had another at bat with 4191 hits in Chicago but made an out.  

Nope.  The day before 4192 he didn't get a hit at all.  0 for 3 or 4.  National media attention since the record was on the line and nothing.  I missed that game and was just figuring I wouldn't get to see the record happen on live TV.  The next day was around a TV and I saw it happen then promptly turned off the TV.  My interest in baseball was already pretty much gone by that point in my life.  I didn't even know the world series had happened for a week before finding out about the last Reds win and that was only because I saw someone wearing a shirt for it (I wasn't living in Cincy area anymore for 4192 or the series).
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 09:21 AM)Goalpost Wrote:   I want to say we were playing the Cubs.  And Pete almost set the record at Wrigley Field.  No sure how many hits he had that day...but he had probably a couple.  Some assumed he would take himself out of the game to set the record at home.  But not Pete.  I believe he had another at bat with 4191 hits in Chicago but made an out.  

Bingo! Kind of...

I was thinking the same thing, then curiosity got to me and i looked it up. I remember them being at Wrigley and Pete had a couple hits. The talk leading up was, will he break it on the road. He did have 2 more ABs that day but made outs. The game ended in a tie (before lights at Wrigley). The Reds actually played 2 more games in the SD series right after the Cubs series. Rose sat game 1, went hitless in game 2 and put himself in the lineup (late scratch due to a pitcher change) for game 3 where he got 4192. Interesting side note. Here's the story...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/redsblog/2015/09/08/sept-8-1985--day-pete-rose-really-broke-ty-cobbs-record/71873560/

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 03:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Bingo!

Wow!  If that is what you call a "bingo" I hope you don't volunteer at any senior centers or church groups.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 12:24 PM)Penn Wrote: Wow!  If that is what you call a "bingo" I hope you don't volunteer at any senior centers or church groups.

IT WAS CLOSE ENOUGH FOR ME TO BINGO IT!!  Big Grin

Reply/Quote