Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Rd Dec Mock - Reload
Rd 1. Darnell Wright OT Tenn
- Collins has been the weak link of the OL lately but still playing relatively well (compared to what we've been use to).

I'm taking this draft to get his replacement in house a year early and starting him the following year unless he shows out early. Would have went WR Boutte here until he declared he was going back earlier today.

Other options:
Michael Mayer TE ND - 1, likely not available as I've seen top 10 to top 20 mocks with him. 2, if we bring back Hurst, I wouldn't want to disrupt the chemistry he has by bringing in his "replacement" once again.
Cam Smith CB SC - again unlikely to be here but wouldn't hurt to have someone on the roster as a backfill/replacement for Chido. As unfortunate as it is, im not sure we will be able to afford his next contract with our upcoming costs.
Note, I don't see any WR projected in this range that has outside ability.

Rd 2. Emmanuel Forbes CB Miss St.
Long (6'), rangy CB that has a knack for the ball (NCAA record for career P6s). Zone scheme fit and willing tackler. Could be a replacement potentially for Chido if not resigned.

Other options:
Andre Carter II Edge Army - saw where he's 6'7" with great burst. Only worry i have from minimal research is strength of competition and military commitment.
Isaiah McGuire Edge Mizzou - potentially a reach at this point but I love what I see from this kid. A my-guy if you will. Give Trey a breather / eventual replacement.
Marvin Mims WR OU - TB replacement. This kid made Rattler look good. Smaller but could fit that slot role well.

Rd 3. Isaiah McGuire Edge Mizzou
Yes, I put him in my potential 2nd rounders. No this isn't a typo. This is my CTB currently for this draft class. Right now I think he's projected more for mid to late 3 or early day 3. Edge rusher with size we like (6'4" 275) and athleticism to boot. If you need to be convinced, I'd turn on the Broderick Jones (UGA) game.

Unfortunately I can't think of other prospects as alternatives at this juncture for round 3 or 4.

Rd 4. Trey Benson RB FSU
Leads the NCAA for forced broken tackles. Sounds and looks from the limited tape I can find to be a mix of Perine (breaking tackles) and Mix (long speed). Maybe I'm overselling but I likes what I saw.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Did a new mock after some of the announcements of returning players.

Using PFF simulator but removing options that don't feel like any chance happen (example, Hyatt making it to our 3rd pick).

Rd. 1 Jared Verse Edge FSU

May not be available when we draft but its hard to pass on someone with his motor and get off. JUCO transfer that only played one year of D1 ball. Good production (even with injury) and may still return.

Rd. 2 Emmanuel Forbes CB Miss St.

Same pick. Same reasoning. To be added, insurance plan in case CTBs repeating injury history (this year at least) keeps happening or get worst.

Rd. 3 Matthew Bergeron OT Syracuse

6'5" 322 lbs. LT/RT versatility. 4 year starter that has gotten better each year (based on the reports I read). Could be the eventual replacement of LC, maybe as soon as the year drafted. Not a finished product and at 23 at the point of the draft, still has time to grow. Please note, drafted him based on traits and improvement reported. Need to watch more Syracuse tape.

Rd. 4 Marvin Mims WR OU

See previous mock. Had him ranked too high before. This is an average range I've seen him in.

Rd. 5 Eric Gray RB OU

Seems to be more like a poor man's Jahmyr Gibbs (who likely would be my target if no Robinson, Mayer, Verse). Seems more like a scat back to me with receiving ability.

Rd 6. Jammie Robinson S FSU

Need to see more of his senior year tape but his Junior year looks like he's a good compliment or future replacement for Bell. Aggressive in attacking the ball with hands to catch it as well. Will play ST (seen him return kicks in past so don't see him refusing to be Gunner if needed).

And fwiw, PFF gave me almost all failing grades on every one of these picks. F, D-, D-, D+, D+, F. Feel free to mock my mock so I can improve in the future.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:26 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: And fwiw, PFF gave me almost all failing grades on every one of these picks. F, D-, D-, D+, D+, F. Feel free to mock my mock so I can improve in the future.

You might run one allowing it to auto-draft.  Then you will have an idea of what they think the Bengals should be looking at.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 02:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You might run one allowing it to auto-draft.  Then you will have an idea of what they think the Bengals should be looking at.

A big majority of the issue is they want you to draft per their rankings even if it doesn't fit the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 02:41 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: A big majority of the issue is they want you to draft per their rankings even if it doesn't fit the team.

Well naturally if you are going to pick players they have lower values on, they are going to grade your picks lower.

Can you explain your comment about there not being a WR available in Rd 1 who had outside ability?
Who was off the board at the time of picking?
Also, it's (very) possible Boyd (also) leaves in FA after next season, so the Bengals could be very much in need of a slot replacement.
So if there's a good WR in Rd 1 when Bengals pick, it might be worth it regardless if they are slot-only or not.

With that said, I like Quentin Johnston, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba as Rd 1 locks.
There are also guys like Josh Downs, Jalin Hyatt, and maybe Marvin Mims or Zay Flowers who could very easily be 2nd rounders, maybe even push into late 1st round.
If one of QJ, JA, or JSN happen to be available at the time of selection, the Bengals could get a real good playmaker who could take over as a starter in 2nd year if (when) Boyd and/or Higgins leave in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 02:41 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: A big majority of the issue is they want you to draft per their rankings even if it doesn't fit the team.

I understand that, they are always going to dock your grades for not following their board.  On some of the ones I've done, their perceived positional needs and mine were on two different wave lengths.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well naturally if you are going to pick players they have lower values on, they are going to grade your picks lower.

Can you explain your comment about there not being a WR available in Rd 1 who had outside ability?
Who was off the board at the time of picking?
Also, it's (very) possible Boyd (also) leaves in FA after next season, so the Bengals could be very much in need of a slot replacement.
So if there's a good WR in Rd 1 when Bengals pick, it might be worth it regardless if they are slot-only or not.

With that said, I like Quentin Johnston, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba as Rd 1 locks.
There are also guys like Josh Downs, Jalin Hyatt, and maybe Marvin Mims or Zay Flowers who could very easily be 2nd rounders, maybe even push into late 1st round.
If one of QJ, JA, or JSN happen to be available at the time of selection, the Bengals could get a real good playmaker who could take over as a starter in 2nd year if (when) Boyd and/or Higgins leave in FA.

Luckily I still have the mock up.

WRs gone by our pick in rd. 1:

Addison 
JSN
Johnston
Downs UNC

At that point, I'm not really comfortable taking WR 5 compared to what could at the end of the process be Edge 2-4 (again, likely Verse isn't available but he was in the simulation. I've seen him top 15 to 30)
Reply/Quote
Ran a 4-rd simulator on PFN and got

1. Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

2. Nolan Smith, DE Georgia

3. Blake Freeman, OT BYU

4. Zach Evans, RB Ole Miss
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 03:04 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Luckily I still have the mock up.

WRs gone by our pick in rd. 1:

Addison 
JSN
Johnston
Downs UNC

At that point, I'm not really comfortable taking WR 5 compared to what could at the end of the process be Edge 2-4 (again, likely Verse isn't available but he was in the simulation. I've seen him top 15 to 30)

Boutte was the other guy I was thinking of as a 1st rounder that I no longer saw on lists due to returning.

What other OTs were available at 1st round pick other than Wright, if you don't mind me asking?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Boutte was the other guy I was thinking of as a 1st rounder that I no longer saw on lists due to returning.

What other OTs were available at 1st round pick other than Wright, if you don't mind me asking?

For Wright, in my original post, this was not based on simulations so idk.

As to my new one, these are the ones taken before our pick and I'm not sure I'd pick any remaining OTs over Verse:

Skoronski
Johnson Jr.
Harrison
Jones

Edit: fwiw, I was going to go Boutte when I made the original mock but I made it the day or day after he announced his return so I went OT thinking Edge may not be there.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 03:07 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Ran a 4-rd simulator on PFN and got

1. Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

2. Nolan Smith, DE Georgia

3. Blake Freeman, OT BYU

4. Zach Evans, RB Ole Miss

Wouldn't be bad but PFN is bad with their simulations imo. I think I've seen people post in the past where they had Carter all the way to our pick and thats almost impossible. Even a Tunsil situation wouldn't drop him that far.
Reply/Quote
PFF mock 12/20 Draft Grade D
1: Christian Gonzalez CB Oregon
2: Will McDonald Iowa St.
3: Graham Barton OT Duke (because Cody Mauch is not on their list.)
4. Tuli Tuipoluta DT3 USC
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:34 PM)puddycat Wrote: PFF mock 12/20 Draft Grade D
1: Christian Gonzalez CB Oregon
2: Will McDonald Iowa St.
3: Graham Barton OT Duke (because Cody Mauch is not on their list.)
4. Tuli Tuipoluta DT3 USC

Mauch is a projected 2nd rounder on their list. 63rd overall.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Boutte was the other guy I was thinking of as a 1st rounder that I no longer saw on lists due to returning.

In case you didn't see the news today, Boutte reconsidered and is declaring for the NFL draft this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 03:24 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: In case you didn't see the news today, Boutte reconsidered and is declaring for the NFL draft this year.

I did not see that. Cool.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote