Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Reasons To Believe In The Bengals!
(06-29-2018, 06:56 PM)3wt Wrote: Appreciate the thread Brad.

Realistic or not I have growing optimism.   I think, except for Jefferson, this is going to end up being a very good draft.  Add in Glen, Brown and the coaching changes and I'm very excited.

If the offensive line turns out and both Eifert and Ross turn out, I think it's going to be a fine season.

I'm hoping Jefferson is just kind of flying under the radar.  The fact that we haven't heard much about him since he was drafted doesn't mean much. The tell of the tape will be when the pads come on. For all we know right now he could be a stud LB in waiting. His college tape was pretty damn good so I'm in no way ready to write the guy off quite yet .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 06:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm hoping Jefferson is just kind of flying under the radar.  The fact that we haven't heard much about him since he was drafted doesn't mean much. The tell of the tape will be when the pads come on. For all we know right now he could be a stud LB in waiting. His college tape was pretty damn good so I'm in no way ready to write the guy off quite yet .

jefferson  was the  top HS linebacker in the country..did well even in college even with multiple coaching and scheme changes

lol@ hearing things..Hobson aint the brightest star in the sky
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 09:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: While RT is still a gaping wound, you have to be impressed at how they parlayed one first round pick into both an NFL caliber starting LT AND a top shelf prospect starting at Center. With Boling at LG and Western at RG we have reason to hope, especially because Piano Man is gone.

It does make you wonder - what changed? Because the change actually happened before the season ended as we know Lazor put his foot down over the blocking scheme during the season and got Piano Man overruled. Before this we would have likely seen Piano Man backed up and Lazor let go so something changed.

Something happened that is for sure cause like you said it would of been the other way around in the past with
Lazor getting the axe in favor of PA. Instead somebody finally made the right decision and backed up the coach
that wanted the team to excell.

(06-30-2018, 03:40 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I remember that but I don't think it was Atkins.........  I think it was Sims or someone and it was John Thornton maybe?  

Thats what i remember, Thornton talking Marv into letting Sims start who was clearly better.

Good man Thornton.

(06-30-2018, 09:08 AM)dnkw Wrote: Damn, that's got me excited. Bring on the new season!

Lots of reasons be excited man. Should take some time for coaches and players to gel but once it happens i see a
team that could win atleast 10 games and maybe even a Playoff game for the first time in forever with a running
game. Having a running game takes away Marv's conservative weakness.

Doesn't matter if Marv takes his foot off the gas and runs the ball if it is effective.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 11:04 AM)cooper Wrote: jefferson  was the  top HS linebacker in the country..did well even in college even with multiple coaching and scheme changes

Malik has tons of talent that is for sure but we all know what happened with Paul Dawson who wasn't mentally prepared.

The only reason i don't see Malik not making an immediate impact is all the changes, it is a lot to take in but once he gets
his head in the game i think he could be a stud SAM backer for us. Just the type of Linebacker we needed, athletic, can
cover, shed blocks and stop the run.
Reply/Quote
You are only as strong as your weakest link. Maybe it isn't always true but I do think with a better LT and Center last year we would've won more games. Our RBs are talented and their YPC are only going to increase behind a better line. And Dalton is going to have more time to find the open guy. Not to mention now that we've rediscovered Boyd and have a healthy Ross and Eifert (hopefully) there will be more targets. Then you consider that we have a more aggressive defensive coach and better secondary (yes, even losing Adam I believe adding a Safety and giving WJIII more snaps means we've improved on balance) should help our defense win us more games. We've got pass rushers (Atkins, Dunlap, Lawson, and Jefferson) and one hopes that the players we've added as well developing players we already had means we have better run defense (this is what I'm most worried about).

If nothing else, a lot of people are in contract years so they're going to be playing lights out. So yeah, lots of reasons for optimism.

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 03:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lots of reasons be excited man. Should take some time for coaches and players to gel but once it happens i see a
team that could win atleast 10 games and maybe even a Playoff game for the first time in forever with a running
game. Having a running game takes away Marv's conservative weakness.

Doesn't matter if Marv takes his foot off the gas and runs the ball if it is effective.

I'm as excited for this season as I've been for a while.  On paper we look pretty damn good.  And I think that's going to carry over to the field.   :andy:
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 04:48 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm as excited for this season as I've been for a while.  On paper we look pretty damn good.  And I think that's going to carry over to the field.   :andy:

Same here man, i usually always try to be optimistic cause i just don't like to think negative but last season it was hard
with Paul Alexander as the O-line coach and with Bodine at Center and Ogbuehi at LT. This time around having a proven
NFL Left Tackle in Cordy Glenn and a young stud Center in Billy Price just gives even the most negative Bengal fan hope
I would think.

Not to mention a guy like Frank Pollack who coached in my opinion the best O-line in football the last few years and is a
disciple of Bill Callahan, who just might be the best O-line coach not named Jim McNally who is working with Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 11:04 AM)cooper Wrote: jefferson  was the  top HS linebacker in the country..did well even in college even with multiple coaching and scheme changes

Have I recently accused Hobson of being a genius ? He's ok at writing nice stories that have little to nothing to do with football,  but nobody is rushing to the conclusion that he should be on the coaching staff ..  What do ya want ? I don't necessarily have the inside scoop on anything other than when the last time my cat was feed.  Jefferson's name just hasn't been popping up much which in certain members minds around here is the same thing as not being a good football player . I haven't made any such connections lately.   Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Can not wait for the season to arrive.

Nice post ThumbsUp

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 03:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: If Price lives up to expectations we may see Andy faint from shock at the sight of an actual pocket to step up into :)

Yes- would like to see how Brady, Ben and Rogers would have done with our centers during the last 8 years.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 12:17 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Yes- would like to see how Brady, Ben and Rogers would have done with our centers during the last 8 years.

good point..they are less mobile than andy most probably would have looked worse
Reply/Quote
This off season with the new assistant coaches, cutting ties with Alexander, drafting best player available for need, acquiring two great vets from the Bills- was atypical for Bengals and shows a desire to do things to improve the team. Very encouraging.

Continuing to keep Marv is a huge mistake. We are not going any where in playoffs ( assuming we make playoffs which is doubtful) nor will we improve our record against Steelers so long as Marv remains in charge. Very discouraging.
Reply/Quote
Meh, I'm waiting until the season is under way before I consider believing in them to do something.

But if people want to believe in them now, go for it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 09:16 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Can not wait for the season to arrive.

Nice post ThumbsUp

Only 3 more weeks till rookies report to camp!!
Reply/Quote
I'm happy to see the changes, however I'm not confident so many changes can be implemented enough in a single offseason. I'm thinking it may take another year or two to really get (some of) those changes fully implemented to the level they need to be. Mainly, I'm skeptical the OL performance is going to be that drastically improved after just one offseason. Second, I don't think we see quite as many turnovers on defense either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 04:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm happy to see the changes, however I'm not confident so many changes can be implemented enough in a single offseason. I'm thinking it may take another year or two to really get (some of) those changes fully implemented to the level they need to be. Mainly, I'm skeptical the OL performance is going to be that drastically improved after just one offseason. Second, I don't think we see quite as many turnovers on defense either.

Understandable. It is just going from Ken Zampese as OC, Paul Alexander as O-line Coach, Russell Bodine at Center,
Cedric Ogbuehi at LT to Bill Lazor, Frank Pollack, Billy Price and Cordy Glenn seems like quite the upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 04:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm happy to see the changes, however I'm not confident so many changes can be implemented enough in a single offseason. I'm thinking it may take another year or two to really get (some of) those changes fully implemented to the level they need to be. Mainly, I'm skeptical the OL performance is going to be that drastically improved after just one offseason. Second, I don't think we see quite as many turnovers on defense either.

I think the changes started when Lazor told PA to take a hike with a couple of games to go last season. I honestly believe we will be pleasantly surprised on the difference between last season and this season. I don't think the changes are to big for the players, most seem to say it is actually easier to understand. Time will tell though.....
Reply/Quote
Where did this Lazor imposing his will on PA come from? This is the first I can ever remember hearing about it. Anybody got a link?
Reply/Quote
It goes back to the end of last season and the postseason presser. You can find several threads on it in here just search on Lazor.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Gleanings-from-the-press-conference-transcript?highlight=lazor
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 07:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think the changes started when Lazor told PA to take a hike with a couple of games to go last season. I honestly believe we will be pleasantly surprised on the difference between last season and this season. I don't think the changes are to big for the players, most seem to say it is actually easier to understand. Time will tell though.....

I think that none of us on this message board  know a darn thing about any interface that takes place between coaches and or management

some may think they do.. but they dont

Alexander is gone..dont ask why..just smile
Reply/Quote