Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US
(05-13-2022, 08:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think a red wave fixes this.  Hell, as long as biden is in office the GOP should love every minute of global supply issues. 

I'm resigned to America ping ponging back and forth between political parties endlessly looking for quick and simple fixes, though.  

Republican can gains in the midterms likely just mean dismantling the 1/6 committee and  Then endlessly billing taxpayers for fraud investigations and impeachment hearings.

Prove me wrong, GOP.

I'm not absolutely sure either but it would be at least a turn in a different direction. That's a starting point at least. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:06 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'm not absolutely sure either but it would be at least a turn in a different direction. That's a starting point at least.  

Do you have an issue with the GOP being, as Americans would put it, the pro insurrection party?

I'm not asking in bad faith or to shame republican voters, just curious about that. I seem to remember you had a problem with Trump for not ending it.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:06 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  I'm not absolutely sure either but it would be at least a turn in a different direction. That's a starting point at least. 

I don't begrudge you from wanting a turn, but I'm thinking it's more of a turn in the same old direction. 

The GOP is complaining about supply chain stuff and inflation but they've been telegraphing a game plan of taxpayer funded culture war stuff for a while now. 

But if that's what voters want, so be it. I'll just say I've been working 60 hour weeks for the past few years just in case.  Fingers crossed and all. 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:10 AM)hollodero Wrote: Do you have an issue with the GOP being, as Americans would put it, the pro insurrection party?

I'm not asking in bad faith or to shame republican voters, just curious about that. I seem to remember you had a problem with Trump for not ending it.

Jan 6th was a shameful day in our history & anyone participating in violent or destructive acts should be prosecuted. And yes, Trump should have been on TV ASAP shutting it down. Hopefully he won't run again.

That being said I don't see conservatives as whole (Not even close) to being the pro insurrection party.

No shame here. As a registered Independent I'm happy to say I didn't vote for the current shit show. And as each day brings us another disaster or step in the wrong direction it only confirms I made the right choice at the time. 

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't begrudge you from wanting a turn, but I'm thinking it's more of a turn in the same old direction. 

The GOP is complaining about supply chain stuff and inflation but they've been telegraphing a game plan of taxpayer funded culture war stuff for a while now. 

But if that's what voters want, so be it. I'll just say I've been working 60 hour weeks for the past few years just in case.  Fingers crossed and all. 

Yup. I can tell you with 95% certainty that a GOP controlled House and Senate would not change the current situation. And in 2025 when there is another Republican POTUS and they take all branches, we won't see any real changes from policies. We will see cyclical changes that the ignorant will attribute to their political party, but the reality is that they don't do much different than the Democrats when is comes to these things.

It's all a façade. Freedom is a façade. Our democracy is a façade. All of it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
So you telling us there's a chance? LOL

Cyclical changes are exactly what a 2 major party system encourages isn't it?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:43 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: So you telling us there's a chance? LOL

Cyclical changes are exactly what a 2 major party system encourages isn't it?

Sort of.  I bring up gary Johnson a lot but he's a good example of the way things work, I think.  Successful fiscally and freedom focused republican governor forced into a fringe 3rd party because the GOP would rather build around a lifetime Democrat with no political experience who isn't afraid to let us indulge in the glee of blaming others for the shit in our own britches. 

Fear not, the party of Mr. "I take no responsibility" will be back soon.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:23 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  Jan 6th was a shameful day in our history & anyone participating in violent or destructive acts should be prosecuted. And yes, Trump should have been on TV ASAP shutting it down. Hopefully he won't run again.

That being said I don't see conservatives as whole (Not even close) to being the pro insurrection party.

That might be fair, I sure used that as tongue in cheek a bit, for in America people often get called pro-something. Pro-crime or Pro-pedophilia for example when voting for a SC judge.

As for the conservative party as a whole, well I have a very different perspective on that. The party censores people that claim the insurrection was real or that refused to find Trump the votes he needs to overturn the election. They call the insurrection a legitimate political discourse. And by saying "they" I mean the significant majority at least, for otherwise these things would not have happened.
Whoever calls the insurrection a vacation or a deed of patriots does not get censored, however. Or speaks of stolen elections or defends this "Green Bay sweep". And for sure not all those that run to Trump to kiss the ring, so to speak, the guy you imho rightfully (btw kudos for that) paint as behaving shamefully on Jan 6.
In light of all this, I have a really hard time calling them an anti-insurrection party these days.

(05-13-2022, 09:23 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  No shame here.

It was never my intention to shame you for anything. I was, and still am, curious on how you weigh those things. No bad intentions behind it.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 08:47 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I don't care what color your politics are - you can't ignore the failure that is happening right now.

November can't get here soon enough.

Failure by who? Abbott is the largest supplier of baby formula and I believe this was their largest facility that has been shut down for months because babies were getting sick and dying. Baby formula was recalled and the FDA had to investigate.

Should POTUS have gone in and led a 3rd shift sanitation crew at the baby formula factory?
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:09 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm confused. When did conservatives start caring about children after they're born?

They never have. They only care as long as they have them as a wedge issue, but really don't care if the cat drags your newborn away to eat under the living room sofa.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I guess women having babies have to have their knockers removed before giving birth or something..Breast feeding is still a thing despite the republican party.. 
As for Ukraine..we could dump a trillion bucks into the war and not really miss it. Look how much we dumped into Afghanistan and Iraq.. At least if Ukraine wins, and they will as long as trump isn't reelected it'll bleed the Russian army dry till they won't be able to fend off Chechnya if they reconstitute. Georgia might kick the Russians of Ossetia out..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'm seeing this a lot and I'm curious what anyone expects the government to do?

Private companies make the shit and set up the supply chains. Should the government shell out money to them instead while they continue to gouge prices? Should the government buy up a bunch of stock and give it out? Should the government stay out of it and let the businesses figure it out? Because all 3 of those options are L's to a large group of voters and they'll be villanized not matter which way they go.

On the other hand, giving money to foreign nations is fairly typical operating procedure for governments across the globe and usually a part of the budget.
Reply/Quote
Supply chain issues and a lack of market competition (the company that owns Similac, one of the largest producers in the US, has shut down plants following a fatal contamination outbreak months ago) led to the shortage. Basically, a company was scared of law suits so they stopped production.

The US is sending $40 billion to Ukraine. That's unrelated to US companies being crappy and ill prepared and enjoying a structure which doesn't support competition. The current administration didn't do anything to encourage a practical monopoly on the formula market. If anything, it's trying to help out a capitalistic fail as the FDA is expediting reviews of foreign formulas being imported and permits.

I mean, sure, I guess the government could take total control over the formula industry to make sure the manufacturing doesn't take a dip. But is that the direction anyone wants to go?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 11:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Supply chain issues and a lack of market competition (the company that owns Similac, one of the largest producers in the US, has shut down plants following a fatal contamination outbreak months ago) led to the shortage. Basically, a company was scared of law suits so they stopped production.

The US is sending $40 billion to Ukraine. That's unrelated to US companies being crappy and ill prepared and enjoying a structure which doesn't support competition. The current administration didn't do anything to encourage a practical monopoly on the formula market. If anything, it's trying to help out a capitalistic fail as the FDA is expediting reviews of foreign formulas being imported and permits.

I mean, sure, I guess the government could take total control over the formula industry to make sure the manufacturing doesn't take a dip. But is that the direction anyone wants to go?

This is a great post.  Honestly, well argued and /thread.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 11:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Supply chain issues and a lack of market competition (the company that owns Similac, one of the largest producers in the US, has shut down plants following a fatal contamination outbreak months ago) led to the shortage. Basically, a company was scared of law suits so they stopped production.

Agree. This is not on the Biden administration. This is a blatant truth in the eyes of ALL political leaders, both L/R. Total control is not what we need but better control of where we get our resources should be reviewed. Same for medications. As for Ukraine, they are fighting our war, keep giving them the money they need because their doing a hellova job at embarrassing Russia and it's not costing American lives. I guess it's all how you look at it. 

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This stuff is hardly new, though.  When your typical low-end but law-abiding American sees a prisoner or otherwise ward of the state getting some sort of benefit he doesn't rather than wonder why we live in a society where a segment of the population can "do the right thing" and still get left behind, he demands that the benefit be removed from the other people.

That's just the way things go.  If you want formula for your kids you are better off being an illegal who is locked up at the border than some dumbass American who works 39.5 hours a week a McDonalds, right?  Hell, I'm sure there is at least one movie or show or sit com where some working poor American commits various crimes every time he needs to get medical care so he can go to prison and get it on the dole.

Be rich or have nothing.  Being in the middle doesn't pay.

I guess.  Gotta wonder why so many people are so jealous of prisoners, illegal immigrants, and welfare cases, though.

Seeing prisoners or wards of the state getting benefits is one thing. Watching tons of formula go to the border to be given to those coming here uninvited and illegally, while you can't find formula to feed your baby, is something totally different. This one issue will be a huge blow to the democrat party. You start jacking around with people's kids, and you're gonna have problems.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: I guess women having babies have to have their knockers removed before giving birth or something..Breast feeding is still a thing despite the republican party.. 
As for Ukraine..we could dump a trillion bucks into the war and not really miss it. Look how much we dumped into Afghanistan and Iraq.. At least if Ukraine wins, and they will as long as trump isn't reelected it'll bleed the Russian army dry till they won't be able to fend off Chechnya if they reconstitute. Georgia might kick the Russians of Ossetia out..

You realize some newborn mothers can not supply enough milk to breastfeed, right? Also, there is a period when breastfeeding is supplemented with formula with rice, etc, mixed in to move a child to solid food. 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 11:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agree. This is not on the Biden administration. This is a blatant truth in the eyes of ALL political leaders, both L/R. Total control is not what we need but better control of where we get our resources should be reviewed. Same for medications. As for Ukraine, they are fighting our war, keep giving them the money they need because their doing a hellova job at embarrassing Russia and it's not costing American lives. I guess it's all how you look at it. 

According to some, nothing is on the Biden administration, yet his presidency is marked by supply chain issues all across the board and record gasoline prices. The buck stops at the top, right? He owns all this. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Seeing prisoners or wards of the state getting benefits is one thing. Watching tons of formula go to the border to be given to those coming here uninvited and illegally, while you can't find formula to feed your baby, is something totally different. This one issue will be a huge blow to the democrat party. You start jacking around with people's kids, and you're gonna have problems.

The people getting the formula are prisoners.

I really can't say I am surprised that the talking point from the conservative media mouthpieces is that we should be starving children.

(05-15-2022, 11:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to some, nothing is on the Biden administration, yet his presidency is marked by supply chain issues all across the board and record gasoline prices. The buck stops at the top, right? He owns all this. 

I really don't understand how the proponents of capitalism want to blame market failures on the government. You want a free market? Don't blame the government when it doesn't do what you want it to.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to some, nothing is on the Biden administration, yet his presidency is marked by supply chain issues all across the board and record gasoline prices. The buck stops at the top, right? He owns all this. 

Owns yes, but some issues have been brewing before him AND trump. 

Reply/Quote