Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US
(05-13-2022, 09:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup. I can tell you with 95% certainty that a GOP controlled House and Senate would not change the current situation. And in 2025 when there is another Republican POTUS and they take all branches, we won't see any real changes from policies. We will see cyclical changes that the ignorant will attribute to their political party, but the reality is that they don't do much different than the Democrats when is comes to these things.

It's all a façade. Freedom is a façade. Our democracy is a façade. All of it.

Can't tell if you are being ironic here. You are, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 01:45 PM)Dill Wrote: Can't tell if you are being ironic here. You are, right?

He's right. nothing of any substantial worth will get accomplished, no matter which side controls the 3 branches.

Neither side wants to rock the boat, they just play their little games enough to get the votes to stay in office. I think term limits would have the biggest impact on this. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 03:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: He's right. nothing of any substantial worth will get accomplished, no matter which side controls the 3 branches.

Neither side wants to rock the boat, they just play their little games enough to get the votes to stay in office. I think term limits would have the biggest impact on this. 

Well, I do think one side's effort to seize the government after their guy was voted out of power, 

to the point even of storming the Capitol,

is an attempt to "rock the boat" regardless of who has the votes to stay in office.

I am astonished it is so difficult to convince people "both sides" did not and would not do that.

Yet people conclude nothing changes no matter who is in power. 
Reply/Quote
I'm headed back to Louisville from Florida in the morning. Looked at the gas stations on the way back to the hotel to see how much Vaseline I would need to fill the tank. $4.50 per gallon here in Spring Hill. Sure could use a mean tweet and some $1.59 gas right now....
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You start jacking around with people's kids, and you're gonna have problems.

Yes, and here we are running back to the political party that made countless covid orphans for its own political gains.  But sure....formula...that'll kill a political party. 

(05-15-2022, 09:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm headed back to Louisville from Florida in the morning. Looked at the gas stations on the way back to the hotel to see how much Vaseline I would need to fill the tank. $4.50 per gallon here in Spring Hill. Sure could use a mean tweet and some $1.59 gas right now....

Yep, mean tweets and prosperity...that's all that happened on Trump's watch.  Gilded age 2.0, it was. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 06:59 PM)Dill Wrote: Well, I do think one side's effort to seize the government after their guy was voted out of power, 

to the point even of storming the Capitol,

is an attempt to "rock the boat" regardless of who has the votes to stay in office.

I am astonished it is so difficult to convince people "both sides" did not and would not do that.

Yet people conclude nothing changes no matter who is in power. 

Storming the Capital was fine, but has to be peacefully done. 
Violence was unacceptable, but both sides use violence at "peaceful' rallies.

Trump could never have stayed in Office, most sane people are aware of that. He was voted out, plain and simple, anything he did after that was just him being a sore loser.

If you can't see that, then no idea what to tell you.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to some, nothing is on the Biden administration, yet his presidency is marked by supply chain issues all across the board and record gasoline prices. The buck stops at the top, right? He owns all this. 

Eh, the buck stops with private businesses in our current environment.

CEOs of companies like Amazon and BP have more sway than the POTUS. Think about it. The POTUS has a negligible control over the oil market. Congress has slightly more. Your $5.00 a gallon gas? Blame the CEO of BP that made nearly $8 billion in profit (not revenue, profit) last year. Granted, BP recorded a loss the previous year... but that's our tax system.

Which is why companies like BP have sway. They're worried about taxes, so prices go up when one party is in office. When the pro-big business party is in office, prices go down.

Maybe if businesses were taxed fairly (no breaks just for being huge), then we could blame the small changes on guys like Biden. In the current environment? Not really.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 09:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm headed back to Louisville from Florida in the morning. Looked at the gas stations on the way back to the hotel to see how much Vaseline I would need to fill the tank. $4.50 per gallon here in Spring Hill. Sure could use a mean tweet and some $1.59 gas right now....

This has been mentioned and explained several times, including by me (to which you never responded) but the gasoline prices are a global issue, not a Presidential issue. I don't think you're looking for genuine discussion on this topic at this point, though. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 09:44 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Storming the Capital was fine, but has to be peacefully done. 
Violence was unacceptable, but both sides use violence at "peaceful' rallies.

Trump could never have stayed in Office, most sane people are aware of that. He was voted out, plain and simple, anything he did after that was just him being a sore loser.

If you can't see that, then no idea what to tell you.

So far "both sides" have not stormed the Capitol with zip ties to block the peaceful transmission of power. That is different from breaking into a laundromat during a riot to rob coin dispensers.

Trump certainly was voted out, but not "plain and simple."  I'll explain why I "can't see that."

This isn't just about storming the Capitol, itself an unprecedented event, but also about the manner in which it is incrementally becoming a heroic event to millions of Republican voters.
https://theweek.com/donald-trump/1006031/gop-rally-recites-pledge-of-allegiance-to-flag-flown-by-jan-6-insurrectionists
And like the Russia investigation, it is gradually being embedded in a "hoax" narrative across the Right.
https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/january-6-insurrection-hoax/
So that's not over.

And when I said "seize the government," Iwas not just referring to the Capitol insurrection, but also to the Green Bay Sweep, the coordinated plan of Republicans from 7 states to present an alternative slate of electors to the House on Jan. 6, placing the legitimacy of the elections in question, with the goal of forcing a House vote (per the Constitution) to settle the issue, giving the presidency to Trump. Note: the alternative slate was not and could not have been valid, but there would have been no way to determine that for days. 

It's not clear that this could not have worked. At the very least, had Pence carried out his assignment, a far greater cloud would have been over the election than already was with NO evidence of fraud, enhancing the Big Lie's credibility with the factual/video account of Republican "electors" being illegally denied by Dems in a blatant power grab--just as Trump predicted. The coup stalled through the effort of some Republicans, who may not be in office the next time around.

What this "sore loser" has done "after that" and "out of office," is remain the GOP's power in Congress and front runner for 2024, with a promise to use his office to pay back all those who stole the election he won by millions. And a number of state legislatures are creating the legal basis for that win, should voters in their states pick the wrong guy.

I don't understand why people assume there was really nothing to worry about back then and there won't really be the next time around--if we just leave it up to the system things will work out fine. As if Trump is past and can do no harm out of office.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 10:52 PM)Benton Wrote:  is why companies like BP have sway. They're worried about taxes, so prices go up when one party is in office. When the pro-big business party is in office, prices go down.

Maybe if businesses were taxed fairly (no breaks just for being huge), then we could blame the small changes on guys like Biden. In the current environment? Not really.

So then you admit it--Biden IS the cause!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 09:42 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This has been mentioned and explained several times, including by me (to which you never responded) but the gasoline prices are a global issue, not a Presidential issue. I don't think you're looking for genuine discussion on this topic at this point, though. 

I've noticed the neo-con answer to any monetary issue is to "work harder and quit wasting your money" until the price hike can be blamed on a democrat.  Bonus to old conservatives complaining about stuff like this.  I mean...haven't you had like 50+ years to work hard and get rich?  Geez.

New idea...Biden should have Fauchi declare that baby formula is essential to the health and wellness of infants and then we can watch the demand drop and people who hate the idea of illegal immigrant babies getting the stuff change their tune.
Reply/Quote

Might still have that <$2 gas had the pandemic response not been so botched.

God damn Biden.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 06:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I've noticed the neo-con answer to any monetary issue is to "work harder and quit wasting your money" until the price hike can be blamed on a democrat.  Bonus to old conservatives complaining about stuff like this.  I mean...haven't you had like 50+ years to work hard and get rich?  Geez.

New idea...Biden should have Fauchi declare that baby formula is essential to the health and wellness of infants and then we can watch the demand drop and people who hate the idea of illegal immigrant babies getting the stuff change their tune.

Well if those Dems would stop tanking the stock market, my plan would be even better.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 09:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, and here we are running back to the political party that made countless covid orphans for its own political gains.  But sure....formula...that'll kill a political party. 

Yep, mean tweets and prosperity...that's all that happened on Trump's watch.  Gilded age 2.0, it was. 

More Covid orphans on Biden's watch than on Trumps, and he came into office with 3 vaccines.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 05:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: More Covid orphans on Biden's watch than on Trumps, and he came into office with 3 vaccines.

"anyone that is responsible for that many deaths should not remain as POTUS"
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 05:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: More Covid orphans on Biden's watch than on Trumps, and he came into office with 3 vaccines.

That's funny, some of the top GOP mouthpieces swore when the election was over covid would just disappear.  It's like it was a pandemic, or something.

And hey, vaccines only work if people are willing to take them.

EDIT - Actually, it wouldn't have mattered who was president during the initial stages of covid, the same people would have been deadset on ignoring and spreading it.  You've probably noticed them booing Trump for telling them to get vaccinated.
Reply/Quote

Which sides messaging led to the "more Covid orphans" in a year and a half versus less than a year with a lockdown? Science or TV show hostism? If only Biden could force people to take the vaccines, amiright?

So either you're advocating for more lockdowns, manditory vaccines or do you have a plan to end a pandemic that we haven't heard of yet?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 07:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's funny, some of the top GOP mouthpieces swore when the election was over covid would just disappear.  It's like it was a pandemic, or something.

And hey, vaccines only work if people are willing to take them.

EDIT - Actually, it wouldn't have mattered who was president during the initial stages of covid, the same people would have been deadset on ignoring and spreading it.  You've probably noticed them booing Trump for telling them to get vaccinated.

On coronavirus vaccines, Biden says he'll trust scientists, not Trump - POLITICO

Quote:Democratic nominee Joe Biden sharply questioned the Trump administration’s process for approving a coronavirus vaccine, while expressing broad confidence in vaccines and the scientists who create, study and vet them.

So who really started the doubts about the vaccine???
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 08:41 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Which sides messaging led to the "more Covid orphans" in a year and a half versus less than a year with a lockdown? Science or TV show hostism? If only Biden could force people to take the vaccines, amiright?

So either you're advocating for more lockdowns, manditory vaccines or do you have a plan to end a pandemic that we haven't heard of yet?

Lockdowns have proven to be ineffective and did more harm than good, I'm not for ANY mandatory vaccine, and the only way this pandemic ends is naturally.

https://health.wusf.usf.edu/health-news-florida/2022-02-02/a-johns-hopkins-study-says-ill-founded-lockdowns-did-little-to-limit-covid-deaths

Quote:The researchers say lockdowns had no noticeable effect on reducing COVID-related deaths and a "devastating effect" on economies and social ills.

[color=var(--primaryTextColor)]Researchers at Johns Hopkins University have concluded that lockdowns have done little to reduce COVID deaths but have had “devastating effects” on economies and numerous social ills.
The study, titled “A Literature Review and Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Lockdowns on COVID-19 Mortality,” said lockdowns in Europe and the U.S. reduced COVID-19 deaths by 0.2 percent.
Shelter-in-place orders were also ineffective, reducing COVID-19 mortality by 2.9%, the study said.
“We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality,” the researchers wrote in the report, issued Monday.
The study concluded that lockdowns “are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.”
“They have contributed to reducing economic activity, raising unemployment, reducing schooling, causing political unrest, contributing to domestic violence, and undermining liberal democracy,” the report said.
The study was written by Jonas Herby, Lars Jonung and Steve H. Hanke of the Johns Hopkins Institute for Applied Economics, Global Health and the Study of Business Enterprise.
[/color]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 11:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote:

On coronavirus vaccines, Biden says he'll trust scientists, not Trump - POLITICO

So who really started the doubts about the vaccine???

People who are capable of changing their minds when new details and data emerge?
Reply/Quote