Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40 yrs in stripes
Jan. 2021 will begin the teams 40th anniversary of changing the teams uniform dramatically from basic black, orange and white, to a awesome helmet logo like no other NFL team has even seen. Keeping the orange helmet, the team has given the name Bengals a real meaning, by adding very unique black stripes looking like actual tiger stripes. And with a black facemask to make it look more intimidating.
Jersey's were given a wide orange stripe over the shoulder with black tiger stripes. The pants were also given an upgrade with a wide orange stripe with the same tiger stripes as the jersey. This was the first team to have a helmet logo far different than all other 27 teams in the league. Since then it has changed 2 more times. In 1996 the jersey was given a new logo of a leaping tiger on the sleeves of the jerseys, and the tiger stripes were more bolder. I like this uniform the most. And then in 2003, another dramatic change, a new tri-color jersey design. I didn't like this design when it first came out, and I still don't like it today. But the rounded jersey numbers with the shadow effect makes it look too cartoonish. I do happen to like the 3rd jersey and that's the orange jersey. It really looks good with the black pants.
I'm hoping the team will retire this current uniform and go back to the 1980's design, or the 1996 design with the leaping tiger. The leaping tiger on the center of the field looked great also. I like the tiger striped endzones also.
Reply/Quote
Huh is this wishful thinking or?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I'd love to go back to the 96 jerseys.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd love to go back to the 96 jerseys.

Agreed.  It's a good look.

[Image: Dillon_Corey3_Bengals.jpg]

Or, since they won't do that, get rid of the stupid white piping on the jersey at least. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:57 PM)Bigcatfan Wrote: Jan. 2021 will begin the teams 40th anniversary of changing the teams uniform dramatically from basic black, orange and white, to a awesome helmet logo like no other NFL team has even seen. Keeping the orange helmet, the team has given the name Bengals a real meaning, by adding very unique black stripes looking like actual tiger stripes. And with a black facemask to make it look more intimidating.
Jersey's were given a wide orange stripe over the shoulder with black tiger stripes. The pants were also given an upgrade with a wide orange stripe with the same tiger stripes as the jersey. This was the first team to have a helmet logo far different than all other 27 teams in the league. Since then it has changed 2 more times. In 1996 the jersey was given a new logo of a leaping tiger on the sleeves of the jerseys, and the tiger stripes were more bolder. I like this uniform the most. And then in 2003, another dramatic change, a new tri-color jersey design. I didn't like this design when it first came out, and I still don't like it today. But the rounded jersey numbers with the shadow effect makes it look too cartoonish. I do happen to like the 3rd jersey and that's the orange jersey. It really looks good with the black pants.
I'm hoping the team will retire this current uniform and go back to the 1980's design, or the 1996 design with the leaping tiger. The leaping tiger on the center of the field looked great also. I like the tiger striped endzones also.

Rounded numbers look cartoonish, but that leaping tiger is alright? I don't follow. To me that tiger was very 90s. You saw similar designs with the Vancouver Grizzlies, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, and Seattle SuperSonics in the NBA, and I know Jscksonville had a fairly silly looking jaguar on their sleeves at that time too. To each their own, but it wasn't my favorite.

Anyway... I'm cool with changing the uniform, but I'd rather they move forward instead of bringing back whatever year's jersey. I've actually seen some pretty nice reimaginings of the helmet too... I think my favorite one was a black helmet with orange stripes. The stipes themselves were a lil more realistic looking too.

But yeah... All in all... We could use an update.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote