Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
42 Passes and Only 22 Runs
That’s the run to pass ratio during today’s game against the Vikings. The Bengals ran only 22 times while going to the air 42 times. That’s not a lot of runs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s the run to pass ratio during today’s game against the Vikings.  The Bengals ran only 22 times while going to the air 42 times.  That’s not a lot of runs.

That's a stout defense. They did what they had to do to win. And Browning answered the bell. These guys are coaching and playing their asses off and rallying around Jake Browning. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:40 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That's a stout defense. They did what they had to do to win. And Browning answered the bell. These guys are coaching and playing their asses off and rallying around Jake Browning. 

That’s all true, of course.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s all true, of course.

Damn it's been fun to watch! 

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s the run to pass ratio during today’s game against the Vikings. The Bengals ran only 22 times while going to the air 42 times. That’s not a lot of runs.

Efficiency is the name of the game. 18 for 80 yards. 27 points on 64 plays is excellent on a defense that hadn’t given up a TD since November 19? Or the last 2 games?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s the run to pass ratio during today’s game against the Vikings.  The Bengals ran only 22 times while going to the air 42 times.  That’s not a lot of runs.

And they won, so what is point?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And they won, so what is point?

In the games where the Bengals won handily they ran much more.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget, one of those runs was a loss by a TE who was supposed to throw the ball but never did.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And they won, so what is point?

I mean the Vikings defense is tough and if you listened to Jake after the game it’s rough to play against. And we are worrying about ratios. It’s efficiency
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:54 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Don't forget, one of those runs was a loss by a TE who was supposed to throw the ball but never did.

....and he made a better decision than TB, lol. If he had only seen Jake WIDE OPEN.

Reply/Quote
Yeah the Vikings are stingy against the run. But having said that Mixon was running well. I would like to be more balanced but it's hard to complain after a game like that. The only thing I would say is it's fine just giving Brown carries as he's definitely shown he deserves them but I'd love to scheme a couple plays a game to try and get him the ball in space. Let's try and help the guy who just posted the 2nd fastest run get a couple more big ones.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 09:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and he made a better decision than TB, lol. If he had only seen Jake WIDE OPEN.

Yup.  Would've given us an extra 4 in regulation, thus eliminating the need for overtime.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 08:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In the games where the Bengals won handily they ran much more.

So games that are close they won with pass then? 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 09:14 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yup.  Would've given us an extra 4 in regulation, thus eliminating the need for overtime.

I was thinking Sanu (?) to Dalton on that one.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 09:13 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah the Vikings are stingy against the run. But having said that Mixon was running well. I would like to be more balanced but it's hard to complain after a game like that. The only thing I would say is it's fine just giving Brown carries as he's definitely shown he deserves them but I'd love to scheme a couple plays a game to try and get him the ball in space. Let's try and help the guy who just posted the 2nd fastest run get a couple more big ones.

He was one trip up away from breaking another one today. To me, it looked like they went pass heavy after going down 14-3.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 09:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So games that are close they won with pass then? 

Those and the losses. 
Reply/Quote
The Vikings were selling out to stop the run and still gave up 4.5 YPC

I’ll take this
-Housh
Reply/Quote
What bothers me most about the number of runs is the fact we've proven in the prior two weeks that we have lined up a Pony backfield in an offset-I multiple times in the last two weeks, and EVERY time one of the backs has motioned wide and the play has been a screen to that back. Why are we not trying to run out of that formation? Motion Brown and hand it off to Mixon up the middle or to the opposite side of the formation. Motion Mixon out and run it with Brown. Don't motion anyone and leave them guessing who in the hell is going to take the handoff, and which way he is going to go. Hell, run some more passing plays that aren't a screen for that matter. It's there for the taking, and we refuse to play with it.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 09:13 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah the Vikings are stingy against the run.

Stoolers next week will be another similar test.

And they will be pissed off bc they lost today hehehe
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 09:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What bothers me most about the number of runs is the fact we've proven in the prior two weeks that we have lined up a Pony backfield in an offset-I multiple times in the last two weeks, and EVERY time one of the backs has motioned wide and the play has been a screen to that back.  Why are we not trying to run out of that formation?  Motion Brown and hand it off to Mixon up the middle or to the opposite side of the formation.  Motion Mixon out and run it with Brown.  Don't motion anyone and leave them guessing who in the hell is going to take the handoff, and which way he is going to go.  Hell, run some more passing plays that aren't a screen for that matter.  It's there for the taking, and we refuse to play with it.

I've just noticed quite a bit more motion overall.... especially WRs circling around the back of the formation. I believe they're showing stuff on tape, and we'll see something totally unexpected out of it when the time is right. They seem to think way ahead. Sometimes to their own detriment, to be fair 

Reply/Quote