Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
An unconventional off-season strategy we should employ
The Saints are not trading Ryan Ramczyk. They just signed him to a contract and it would almost cost as much to keep him as trade him. Also it definitely wouldn't be just a second round pick more like a two firsts or a first and second.

If you are looking to get a right tackle that fits 49ers Mike McGlinchey would probably be a in that 2nd round pick for a 1 year rental. Problem with that is its 1 year and it'll be in the same year as a Jonah Williams extention offer. So you are losing a tackle either way.

Best idea is to draft and develop your offensive tackles unless theres a perfect signing window like when Jack Conklin became available or a aging vet like Riley Reiff.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 09:29 AM)jason Wrote: Not sure how I feel about it either, but the difference between Cincinnati and the Rams is that Burrow is on his rookie deal while Stafford isn't. We also didn't do so hot the last couple of times we drafted in the 20s. There aren't as many Greens and Chases (can't miss guys, not necessarily WRS) in that part of the draft.

We got some good players in the 20s
2010- Gresham
2012- Kevin Zietler
2013- Tyler Eifert
2016- William Jackson
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Honestly not a big fan of that idea. Top 100 picks are generally viewed as long term starters and are much cheaper options.
Where the Bengals should be aggressive at is signing players who are cut in the off-season. 1.) It doesn't count against Comp Picks and 2.) There usually Cheap and looking for titles. Bobby Howard from Seattle, Tre Flowers from Detroit, Lalell Collins from Dallas all could be options come February.
J24

Reply/Quote
Trading away draft picks is basically trading away the future.

The only time I would ever consider it is if we had a bunch of older very good players who have one last shot to win it all. A "now or never" situation. That is pretty much the opposite of what we have right now.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:00 PM)J24 Wrote: We got some good players in the 20s
2010- Gresham
2012- Kevin Zietler
2013- Tyler Eifert
2016- William Jackson

William Jackson is debatable... Good enough to get signed by Washington anyway. Their fans aren't diggin' that signing either. The rest of those guys are almost a decade ago. I was referring to Ogbuehi and Jackson pretty much.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 11:08 PM)jason Wrote: William Jackson is debatable... Good enough to get signed by Washington anyway. Their fans aren't diggin' that signing either. The rest of those guys are almost a decade ago. I was referring to Ogbuehi and Jackson pretty much.

It's been a while since we have been good! Jackson is underrated by most here I would rather have him over Wayne's.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 10:42 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: 2022 draft picks are not less valuable. Should we be willing to move one or two for a clear and immediate upgrade in the right situation to go all in? Sure, but they aren’t less valuable.

We still have to fill out an entire roster and can’t afford to have every non-burrow/chase/Higgins on Vet deals. Plus like Fred said, when we actually have to pay those guys we need a LOT of good players on rookie contracts to fill out the roster.

Even if we hit on them and can’t afford to re-sign them we can get creative and trade them their last year or franchise tag year for more draft picks at that time to replenish the cupboards.

If we stop drafting or stop drafting well this whole thing falls apart and we never get where we want to be. Look at the 2015 team and what bad drafts did to that group
So if we go far in the playoffs and have a low position in the draft, wouldn't it make sense to use some of our picks to move up in the 1st round to get a higher quality player on the rookie contract?  Also would like to get to the point that the Patriots were at where we are so good, good players want to come here later in career to win a title at a discounted rate.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 12:09 AM)J24 Wrote: It's been a while since we have been good! Jackson is underrated by most here I would rather have him over Wayne's.

At this point I'd rather you or I suit up over Waynes...

I have family in Arlington, Virginia... All of em big Washington fans. They can't stand Jackson. Not as a person or anything. Just the money for what they got. He hasn't been good. I'd rather draft a corner early this year than have Waynes or Jackson.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 12:54 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: So if we go far in the playoffs and have a low position in the draft, wouldn't it make sense to use some of our picks to move up in the 1st round to get a higher quality player on the rookie contract? 

The draft is more of a crap shoot than most "experts" want to admit.  Even the best teams miss on first round picks from time to time, and every year there are busts taken in the first round and many players taken after the first round who are better.  So my theory is that the more picks you have the better chance you have of getting a good player.  For example, we gave up a draft pick to move up and select Russel Bodine.
Reply/Quote
Stick the the plan that's working: Hitting on draft picks by picking the best player available and adding responsibly via free agency. If we were to start mortgaging the future, the run could shorter lived.
Reply/Quote
I agree with most on here. I think we need responsibly aggressive this free agency. Are team is close enough that a really good off-season will set us up to potentially win it all. But we need to continue to try and build thru the draft so we don't handcuff ourselves in the future.

Speaking of Burrow if his plays continues what do you think his contract will look like?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 12:54 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: So if we go far in the playoffs and have a low position in the draft, wouldn't it make sense to use some of our picks to move up in the 1st round to get a higher quality player on the rookie contract?  Also would like to get to the point that the Patriots were at where we are so good, good players want to come here later in career to win a title at a discounted rate.

As far as trading up in the draft? I’d be ok with that under the right circumstances if we get 2 4th round comp picks which is a possibility. At that point we may move one or more of the picks to try to get the right player depending on how FA goes. I’d be on board with that. Otherwise I wouldn’t be giving up half of our draft to bring in one traded player or to move up for one prospect.

We can absolutely make a move here or there but it needs to be reasonable.

The draft picks we have are VERY valuable. The OP stated they are less valuable which I couldn’t disagree more with. Going with a mindset that the draft picks we have aren’t valuable could and likely would screw this rebuild up and waste 5 years of Burrow’s career.

Say we win the super bowl and pick 32nd. Just two years ago we picked first so our 2nd-7th rounders that year show how valuable the pick one before it (picked 33rd for our 2nd rounder in 2020- would be picking no worse than 32nd this year) could be this year.

Higgins
Logan Wilson
Davis-Gaither
Kareem
Adeniji
Bailey

If we can add these types of players at the end of each round on rookie contracts I’d say that’s much MORE valuable than signing a bunch of vets at much higher price tags.

Suddenly deciding draft picks don’t matter anymore because we are close would be a devastating mistake. As someone else said, we need to be responsibly aggressive this offseason. We can sign one or to big time players (hopefully o line), bring most of our FA’s back and maybe move up in the draft under the right circumstances. Or trade a mid rounder for a solid vet. What we can’t do is drastically change and give up on the draft. We need to have close to 7 draft picks if not more each year, then hit on a lot of those picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote