Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American justice
[Image: 47680749_570096110102753_324325672149319...e=5C98B871]

For clarity the law was changed due to her case so that minors cannot be sentenced to life anymore...but they refuse to change her sentence.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Cyntoia was a prostitute who killed a guy who hired her for sex. That is first degree murder. If she had been an adult she would have deserved a life sentence.

Vehicular homicide is a much lower level crime than First Degree Murder. Under the law killing someone by accident is not s bad as intentionally killing a person, but I can certainly see the logic of the people who disagree.
(12-10-2018, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cyntoia was a prostitute who killed a guy who hired her for sex.  That is first degree murder.  If she had been an adult she would have deserved a life sentence.  

Vehicular homicide is a much lower level crime than First Degree Murder.  Under the law killing someone by accident is not s bad as intentionally killing a person, but I can certainly see the logic of the people who disagree.

Not only that, she murdered him while he was sleeping and then stole his possessions.  I pity the life that poor girl lived, but it doesn't excuse, or in this case even mitigate, her actions.
(12-10-2018, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cyntoia was a prostitute who killed a guy who hired her for sex. That is first degree murder. If she had been an adult she would have deserved a life sentence.

Vehicular homicide is a much lower level crime than First Degree Murder. Under the law killing someone by accident is not s bad as intentionally killing a person, but I can certainly see the logic of the people who disagree.

(12-10-2018, 08:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not only that, she murdered him while he was sleeping and then stole his possessions.  I pity the life that poor girl lived, but it doesn't excuse, or in this case even mitigate, her actions.

The defense lawyer, the cop, and the leftist bureaucrat all agree on this. Shocked
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-10-2018, 08:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The defense lawyer, the cop, and the leftist bureaucrat all agree on this. Shocked

Sounds like the start of a bad joke...” so a defense lawyer a cop and a leftist bureaucrat walk into a bar”
I still feel being pimped out and killing in self defense mitigates it...and the state realized how bad a decision it is by passing/changing their laws to stop t from happening again.

But that they changed it BECAUSE of THIS case and won't go back and correct it is what bothers me.

I'm fine being on an island here.  Smirk
(12-10-2018, 08:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The defense lawyer, the cop, and the leftist bureaucrat all agree on this. Shocked

I don't agree with the length of the sentence--move over, Dino; this island is pretty small--but I agree she was guilty of murder.

The meme phrasing suggests a poor girl who was purchased by a pimp and forced into sex slavery killed him in self defense--maybe trying to escape. But we went over this case last year. She was soliciting, willingly went home with a guy who bought sex (not her), checked out his guns, then killed him and stole the ones she liked, later claiming she feared for her life--in my view because that was her best chance of escaping conviction.

But she was also only 16, if I remember correctly. Actual correction should be attempted here, not just punishment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-11-2018, 12:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: I still feel being pimped out and killing in self defense mitigates it...

Not self defense when your victim is asleep and you subsequently rob them after killing them.  If she had killed her pimp we're having a completely different conversation.  I guess she wasn't as threatened by her pimp as she was by the sleeping guy.

Quote:and the state realized how bad a decision it is by passing/changing their laws to stop t from happening again.

Not sure exactly what change your referencing, but the general change has been no life without parole for offenses committed as a juvenile.  She is eligible for parole.

Quote:But that they changed it BECAUSE of THIS case and won't go back and correct it is what bothers me.

Was it solely because of this case?

Quote:I'm fine being on an island here.  Smirk

You're entitled to your opinion, to be sure.  That even Fred doesn't share that opinion should at least give you pause.  
(12-11-2018, 01:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not self defense when your victim is asleep and you subsequently rob them after killing them.  If she had killed her pimp we're having a completely different conversation.  I guess she wasn't as threatened by her pimp as she was by the sleeping guy.

I equate it to the abused wife who can never seem to leave but lashes out at others in her life.  That she stole something maybe meant she was going to try and run away.  I don't know.  I'm not saying she isn't guilty just that the facts of her life and how/whhe was there should mitigate her sentencing.

(12-11-2018, 01:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not sure exactly what change your referencing, but the general change has been no life without parole for offenses committed as a juvenile.  She is eligible for parole.

Was it solely because of this case?

There are others with the same sentence, but hers is what pushed TN to make a change.

(12-11-2018, 01:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're entitled to your opinion, to be sure.  That even Fred doesn't share that opinion should at least give you pause.  

I'm sure that legally I am wrong...but morally I feel it is the right thing to do.