Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49ers punter said to have induced fumbles, Phillips had a broken hand?
The niners posted this funny article.

I've heard reports Philips broke his hand in the raiders game, has anyone else heard that rumor? It wasn't on any injury report.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/12/17/22837094/49ers-mitch-wishnowsky-punt-special-teams-fumbles-richard-hightower
Reply/Quote
Personally, I would like to have had the refs check the balls SF was using to punt to see how they were prepared and if there was any oil on them.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:54 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The niners posted this funny article.

I've heard reports Philips broke his hand in the raiders game, has anyone else heard that rumor? It wasn't on any injury report.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/12/17/22837094/49ers-mitch-wishnowsky-punt-special-teams-fumbles-richard-hightower

Certainly he did not break his hand in previous game and the coaches still sent him out to return punts did they ? 

Hope not anyway and if so then would never expect him to be sent back out there again by coaches with a known broken hand after already fumbling the first return. 

If he did have broken hand then the coaches were incompetent or he lied about it and never told them in which case he would  had to have looked normal in practice throughout the week. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If you broke your hand then tell your coach you can’t return punts

I’m calling BS
-Housh
Reply/Quote
In less than 3 years, the 49ers punter has had 16 punts muffed or bobbled. That stat alone can indicate he might be able to change or disguise his punts in a way American returners aren’t used to seeing, esp ones that don’t see him on a regular basis.
But, it also sounds like they spent a lot of time studying Darius and had a punter capable of putting it in the way he likes least to receive it.
I don’t believe he had a broken hand. I do believe the injured shoulder, in part, led to the 2nd muff, as he couldn’t really extend his arms

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
LOCUSTS!!!

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2021, 11:06 AM)pally Wrote: In less than 3 years, the 49ers punter has had 16 punts muffed or bobbled.  That stat alone can indicate he might be able to change or disguise his punts in a way American returners aren’t used to seeing, esp ones that don’t see him on a regular basis.
But, it also sounds like they spent a lot of time studying Darius and had a punter capable of putting it in the way he likes least to receive it.  
I don’t believe he had a broken hand.  I do believe the injured shoulder, in part, led to the 2nd muff, as he couldn’t really extend his arms

Do we know if the 16 punts miffed or bobbled is that different than other punters? I feel like at least once a game we see someone bobble a punt or drop it even if they don't lose it. Phillips chose to dive for the first punt because he misjudged it so I'm not sure how that's due to the punter. The second one he let hit him off his chest. We've seen Phillips have bad decision making all year so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised but these events. 

I'm also not sure why anyone would say they wished Erickson was back and how he was reliable. He was notorious for muffing/fumbling punts and leads the league in fumbling punts since he's been in the league. He had 17 fumbles in 5 years with the Bengals.

For reference that's only 1 less than Gio, Mixon, and Perine have had in their entire careers...combined.
Reply/Quote
And everyone couldn't wait to get rid of Brandon Tate who very rarely fumbled or put it on the ground.. He was such trash....right? 
I hate to say it, but I'd MUCH RATHER have a return guy who doesn't fumble than one who occasionally gets a TD return every few years, but several fumbles a year or God forbid every game.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2021, 12:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: And everyone couldn't wait to get rid of Brandon Tate who very rarely fumbled or put it on the ground.. He was such trash....right? 
I hate to say it, but I'd MUCH RATHER have a return guy who doesn't fumble than one who occasionally gets a TD return every few years, but several fumbles a year or God forbid every game.. 

Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I thought the issue with Tate wasn't fumbles. It was that he would take a kickoff 8 yards in the endzone and try to run it out or that he would fair-catch inside the 5. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2021, 02:15 PM)Earendil Wrote: Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I thought the issue with Tate wasn't fumbles. It was that he would take a kickoff 8 yards in the endzone and try to run it out or that he would fair-catch inside the 5. 

Your memory isn't failing.  Tate was the best at turning a touch back to a return inside the 10.  People are so busy comparing the dumb stuff the Bengals do now to the dumb stuff they did in the past 5 years that no one sees the option that people want of not doing dumb stuff.
Reply/Quote