Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th WR
Been saying this all offseason. After the first 3 (great) WRs, there's 0 NFL caliber WRs on this team. If you're going to keep spreading it out on offense and going empty backfields, you're going to use a lot of WRs and you're just 1 injury away from having a PS caliber player becoming a starter.

Sure enough Mike Thomas, Trent Taylor, and Stanley Morgan Jr played 88 snaps on offense yesterday. They combined to produce 1 catch on 5 targets for 5 yards (and a 2 pt conversion) and a scaredycat drop in the endzone.

Less options now than there were in the offseason, but they still desperately need to do something about this.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Outside of OBJ, who else is out there?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Outside of OBJ, who else is out there?

TY Hilton
Allen Hurns (he opted out of 2020 and was on IR for 2021, though, so who knows)
DeSean Jackson (he asked to be traded off the Rams last year though)
Willie Snead
Freddy Swain
DeDe Westbrook
Adam Humphries
Isaiah Ford
Tavon Austin

It's pretty thin. As I said, nowhere near as many good options as there was in the offseason to solve this blatant problem. Just know you can't keep rolling 3 guys who clearly aren't NFL caliber players out there on offense.

I'd sign Hilton and Snead.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Been saying this all offseason. After the first 3 (great) WRs, there's 0 NFL caliber WRs on this team. If you're going to keep spreading it out on offense and going empty backfields, you're going to use a lot of WRs and you're just 1 injury away from having a PS caliber player becoming a starter.

Sure enough Mike Thomas, Trent Taylor, and Stanley Morgan Jr played 88 snaps on offense yesterday. They combined to produce 1 catch on 5 targets for 5 yards (and a 2 pt conversion) and a scaredycat drop in the endzone.

Less options now than there were in the offseason, but they still desperately need to do something about this.

That sure came true this game. At one point, Boyd also went out, and without Higgins and Boyd, the Bengals were spreading the field with the players you mentioned: Mike Thomas, Trent Taylor, and Stanley Morgan. 

There were fans on this board that were worried about the 4th receiver and the left guard and both proved pivotal in the loss.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Outside of OBJ, who else is out there?

Josh Gordon sitting on Titans Practice Squad...

How long Boyd and Higgins Out?>
Reply/Quote
We are sitting with about 3 million in cap right now so they'd probably need to clear some cap via a restructure. Trey Hendrickson would be the one I'd be looking at to make the most sense to do so.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: TY Hilton
Allen Hurns (he opted out of 2020 and was on IR for 2021, though, so who knows)
DeSean Jackson (he asked to be traded off the Rams last year though)
Willie Snead
Freddy Swain
DeDe Westbrook
Adam Humphries
Isaiah Ford
Tavon Austin

It's pretty thin. As I said, nowhere near as many good options as there was in the offseason to solve this blatant problem. Just know you can't keep rolling 3 guys who clearly aren't NFL caliber players out there on offense.

I'd sign Hilton and Snead.

Westbrook is interesting.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: We are sitting with about 3 million in cap right now so they'd probably need to clear some cap via a restructure. Trey Hendrickson would be the one I'd be looking at to make the most sense to do so.

seems like some of that OL should be getting reduced pay
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: seems like some of that OL should be getting reduced pay

Couple things. The line actually played better than the public sentiment. There were some losses but there were far more issues with Burrow creating his own pressure (Holding the ball, not throwing hot, etc) than there was with the line. He also struggled with checking out of bad looks in the run game. Specifically there was a run blitz in the 2nd half that was cover 0 off coverage across the back that was an easy check to a smoke screen that we instead ran Mixon for a loss of 3 or 4.

Other thing is now post week 1 all salaries are guaranteed so you can't actually reduce anyone's pay and if you cut them you owe it. The only way to generate space now is by restructuring deals and "adding" years which can be done with void years.
Reply/Quote
Thomas had his guy beat for a TD but JB missed the throw. We lost for one reason yesterday and it wasn't because of our 4th WR
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would like to know the quality of fourth receiver on other teams.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thomas had his guy beat for a TD but JB missed the throw. We lost for one reason yesterday and it wasn't because of our 4th WR

Probably would have gotten scared of getting hit and dropped the TD. Oh wait, he already did that.

Only one reason. Right, okay Bfine. Lol

Reply/Quote
Is Sanu still available?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:35 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Probably would have gotten scared of getting hit and dropped the TD. Oh wait, he already did that.

Only one reason. Right, okay Bfine. Lol

Or maybe he would have caught it and scored us points. Oh wait, he already did that

Yes. One reason. JB doesn't commit 5 TOs and miss some critical passes it's not even a contest.

It's OK, he's great and will bounce back, but yesterday was 100% on him. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thomas had his guy beat for a TD but JB missed the throw. We lost for one reason yesterday and it wasn't because of our 4th WR

Unfortunately, we don't even know if JB was on target if Thomas would have caught it. Game on the line and he dropped an easy one in the end zone. Replays showed the ball was already dropped before he was hit. I don't think we can count on him. Bengals need a legit 4th WR. AFter Higgins they were already in trouble, but then Boyd went out for a while and the receiving corps was not in great shape.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Been saying this all offseason. After the first 3 (great) WRs, there's 0 NFL caliber WRs on this team. If you're going to keep spreading it out on offense and going empty backfields, you're going to use a lot of WRs and you're just 1 injury away from having a PS caliber player becoming a starter.

I've been screaming it right beside you. I sure hope they find a way to get at least 1 better option at #4.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Or maybe he would have caught it and scored us points. Oh wait, he already did that

Yes. One reason. JB doesn't commit 5 TOs and miss some critical passes it's not even a contest.

It's OK, he's great and will bounce back, but yesterday was 100% on him.

I fully agree but it would still be nice to have a better option at #4.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I would like to know the quality of fourth receiver on other teams.

Using ESPN depth charts as my reference... 

Buccaneers have Russell Gage who had 1,556 yards the last 2 years.
Bills have Jamison Crowder who had 1,146 yards the last 2 years.
Chiefs have a 2022 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.
Packers have a 2021 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.
Rams have a 2021 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.
Saints have Marquez Callaway who had 911 yards the last 2 years. (Tre'Quan Smith with 825 the last 2 as their #5)
Eagles have Zach Pascal who had 1,013 yards the last 2 years.
Cardinals have a 2021 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.

Bengals have a guy in his 7th year with 333 career receiving yards as their #4 WR. He has neither past production to feel comfortable with or potential growth to be excited about as a young high draft pick.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:47 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I fully agree but it would still be nice to have a better option at #4.

If Tee or Tyler are out for any period I'm sure we'll pick up a WR and Thomas will still be 4th on the depth chart. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:49 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Using ESPN depth charts as my reference... 

Buccaneers have Russell Gage who had 1,556 yards the last 2 years.
Bills have Jamison Crowder who had 1,146 yards the last 2 years.
Chiefs have a 2022 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.
Packers have a 2021 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.
Rams have a 2021 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.
Saints have Marquez Callaway who had 911 yards the last 2 years. (Tre'Quan Smith with 825 the last 2 as their #5)
Eagles have Zach Pascal who had 1,013 yards the last 2 years.
Cardinals have a 2021 2nd round pick as their #4 WR.

Bengals have a guy in his 7th year with 333 career receiving yards as their #4 WR. He has neither past production to feel comfortable with or potential growth to be excited about as a young high draft pick.

Yep and that's the thing I believe some people are missing. Thomas isn't some dude in his 3rd season that just hasn't had his chance yet.

He's good as a #5 or 6 plus special teamer. He's just not a good 1st guy off the bench/#4.
Reply/Quote