Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th and 1 - Fake Draw from the shotgun QB Sneak???
(10-06-2019, 07:49 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I can definitely snippet that play and upload it to YT for you, I have NFL gamepass with rewind lol.

That would be great!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: See...this is the GREAT part of being a bengals fan. It's not bad enough that we had to suffer through the last 25+ years, most of the time, and the last 3+ years specifically. We now have to live through the growing pains of a new HC and all his **** ups AND all his newborn patience and optimism, something long time bengals fans have little of. 

So all the MB bullshit, followed by all the Marv bullshit, now we get a new, fresh faced coach and have to deal with all his new bullshit. 

That's a bit much if you ask me.

It is !

Like you say this ain't a "normal" fan base. Not for us old farts anyways. 

We've suffered through 30 years of MB, 16 years of ML and his 0-7 in the playoffs, and now we had a little bit of hope that ZT was gonna start a turn around and we're sitting here 0-5 with all the problems we've been suffering still here or worse.

I can't blame anybody for being pissed.
Reply/Quote
As has been documented, Taylor took over in Miami as OC for Lazor and made the offense WORSE, then he had a terrible offense at UC. People laughed it off saying he had no talent.

Well, I think we're seeing here that he just isn't some natural OC that has a great feel for the game. He copied the Rams playbook, but has no clue when to use what plays.

The offensive line blocked a bad Cardinals pass rush fairly well, and Dalton had a career low yards passing at halftime. Some of that was drops. Some was predictable playcalling.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't blame anybody for being pissed.

We should be beyond pissed. We should feel betrayed. We were baited and switched.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As has been documented, Taylor took over in Miami as OC for Lazor and made the offense WORSE, then he had a terrible offense at UC. People laughed it off saying he had no talent.

Well, I think we're seeing here that he just isn't some natural OC that has a great feel for the game. He copied the Rams playbook, but has no clue when to use what plays.

The offensive line blocked a bad Cardinals pass rush fairly well, and Dalton had a career low yards passing at halftime. Some of that was drops. Some was predictable playcalling.

I get the ZT hire, but I pointed out that he was QB coach not a proven OC, so that was risk #1.  Other teams that go the Rams copy route had a rookie QB on a rookie deal and used the extra cash to make big moves in free agency and/or make some big trades to shore things up.  We are rolling with Dalton, who isn't bad or overpaid, but he's not a promising rookie, either.

We can say we are trying to be like the Rams, but other than ZT being in his 30s and on the offensive side of the ball, we haven't followed the template like other teams have.

EDIT - Oh and the new HCs like McVey and Nagy also get veteran and proven DCs to help them, and we did not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really, that might have been the worst playcall that I've ever saw. There was a 0% chance it worked.

As the defensive line collapsed on Mixon, then you sneak Dalton 5 feet to the right of that where there is a wall of defenders.

Just terribly executed. If you're going to get cute like that - spread the defense out and fake a jet sweep or a screen and roll Dalton out.

Taylor is by far the worst coordinator in the NFL.

Do we hire Gruden the stoner playa when he gets fired? Or has he already been fired i haven't checked. 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get the ZT hire, but I pointed out that he was QB coach not a proven OC, so that was risk #1.  Other teams that go the Rams copy route had a rookie QB on a rookie deal and used the extra cash to make big moves in free agency and/or make some big trades to shore things up.  We are rolling with Dalton, who isn't bad or overpaid, but he's not a promising rookie, either.

We can say we are trying to be like the Rams, but other than ZT being in his 30s and on the offensive side of the ball, we haven't followed the template like other teams have.

EDIT - Oh and the new HCs like McVey and Nagy also get veteran and proven DCs to help them, and we did not.

MB follows his template and his template only. He's convinced the 32nd try will be the charm  Yes
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: MB follows his template and his template only. He's convinced the 32nd try will be the charm  Yes

Right, which is why anyone who thought we were actually trying to become the Cincinnati Rams was doing a lot of wishful thinking.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get the ZT hire, but I pointed out that he was QB coach not a proven OC, so that was risk #1.  Other teams that go the Rams copy route had a rookie QB on a rookie deal and used the extra cash to make big moves in free agency and/or make some big trades to shore things up.  We are rolling with Dalton, who isn't bad or overpaid, but he's not a promising rookie, either.

Taylor is totally a Bengals hire. Other teams are smart enough to bring in proven guys around such an inexperienced guy as you say. Not here!
Reply/Quote
Hey - Marvin Lewis is 7 WAR now!
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Taylor is totally a Bengals hire. Other teams are smart enough to bring in proven guys around such an inexperienced guy as you say. Not here!

It is an investment and a risk.  We all wish we invested in Microsoft when they were a handful of stinky guys in a garage.  So I can see why getting a QB coach to be the HC makes sense if we figure he's going to be an OC and then another team would make him HC and we'd miss out.  We are just getting in early and letting him learn here and locking him down.

It's a risk and an investment.  Will it pay off?  Well, he sure does stink now so let's hope so!
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is an investment and a risk.  We all wish we invested in Microsoft when they were a handful of stinky guys in a garage.  So I can see why getting a QB coach to be the HC makes sense if we figure he's going to be an OC and then another team would make him HC and we'd miss out.  We are just getting in early and letting him learn here and locking him down.

It's a risk and an investment.  Will it pay off?  Well, he sure does stink now so let's hope so!

The thing is, he was a bad OC in Miami. He was a bad OC at UC. So his track record was bad.

His hype came from being with McVey and it wasn't based on reality.

Some guys take over for a fired OC and make things better. Innovative guys get hired in college and come up with crazy innovative schemes that work. He's not that guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That would be great!!

Audio quality isn't great, sorry, don't know why. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NOqbtw_2lk&feature=youtu.be
Reply/Quote
6 hours later and I still can’t get over the sheer stupidity of this play call.
Reply/Quote
Mixon blew the block on that play, should have used GIO on that play who is better and more experienced blocker. Looked like an open lane until the defender slipped past Mixon. Good call, horrible execution.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 10:02 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Mixon blew the block on that play, should have used GIO on that play who is better and more experienced blocker. Looked like an open lane until the defender slipped past Mixon. Good call, horrible execution.

Snapping the ball back into the shotgun when you need a yard and are doing a QB sneak is NEVER a good call unless you have a very mobile QB.

And, Mixon is a poor blocker. There...I'll say it.

The fake drew defenders to him. And there was a wall of defenders.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:59 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Audio quality isn't great, sorry, don't know why. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NOqbtw_2lk&feature=youtu.be

Thank you sir!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
What it lacked in logic and ingenuity it made up for in sheer hilarity. I'm fairly sure Zac only put that I to the playbook as a prank on AD. They will have a good chuckle watching tape tomorrow and seeing Dalton being carried like a new bride over the threshold
Reply/Quote
That play made no sense at all. Could do nothing but facepalm after that. It’s like they were trying NOT to win. This team baffles me.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really, that might have been the worst playcall that I've ever saw. There was a 0% chance it worked.

As the defensive line collapsed on Mixon, then you sneak Dalton 5 feet to the right of that where there is a wall of defenders.

Just terribly executed. If you're going to get cute like that - spread the defense out and fake a jet sweep or a screen and roll Dalton out.

Taylor is by far the worst coordinator in the NFL.

It was a pathetic choice.  We saw Dalton getting scolded on the sideline after, so maybe he made the wrong read.  Regardless, I couldn't help thinking what the 6'7" Jake Dolegala would do on a simple sneak.  

If they are going to move on from Dalton, and unless he signs a contract for half his market worth to stay here (not likely) they will be moving on,  I would like to see them spend a lot of next year's draft on the defense and give Dolegala a shot.  Everyone liked what they saw of Finley in the preseason, but I think with this team he would be a disaster.  He holds the ball a long time and doesn't even have Dalton's arm strength.  Dolegala has some insane tools.  It would be fun to see what he could do and just build the team before adding the franchise QB.  You might end up having something with him...and on a rookie deal, he would allow for some serious FA spending...of course, you first have to be willing to spend on a FA.  
Reply/Quote