Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th and Inches in OT
One of the first things I saw post game were threads on Reddit saying that Burrow had audibled out of a run play to throw that pass to Uzomah to clinch the game in OT. There were multiple screen shots of Burrow doing so. Then it comes out in the press this morning that he indeed did audible to the pass play.

I got to thinking that took balls to go against the coach. But then I thought that if Burrow has the freedom to audible, then all he had to say when he came back to the sideline was that he didn't like the look the D was giving him so he called an audible. So then I hear Zach Taylor say that he sent two plays in and let Burrow call the one he wanted. At that point, I immediately saw that as a face saving statement. You know damn well Burrow wouldn't have had to audible, he would have just had the pass play called if that's what had happened.

All I could think of at that point was in the movie Rudy, near the end, when they are trying to get Rudy into the game. Devine calls to take a knee. They get to the huddle and the guys say "forget Devine Tommy, we have to score now for Rudy!...C'mon!" I started laughing picturing Burrow in the huddle saying "Forget Zach guys, we have to score now, c'mon!" And the rest is history.

Anybody else think Burrow called that play on his own?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 06:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: One of the first things I saw post game were threads on Reddit saying that Burrow had audibled out of a run play to throw that pass to Uzomah to clinch the game in OT. There were multiple screen shots of Burrow doing so. Then it comes out in the press this morning that he indeed did audible to the pass play.

I got to thinking that took balls to go against the coach. But then I thought that if Burrow has the freedom to audible, then all he had to say when he came back to the sideline was that he didn't like the look the D was giving him so he called an audible. So then I hear Zach Taylor say that he sent two plays in and let Burrow call the one he wanted. At that point, I immediately saw that as a face saving statement. You know damn well Burrow wouldn't have had to audible, he would have just had the pass play called if that's what had happened.

All I could think of at that point was in the movie Rudy, near the end, when they are trying to get Rudy into the game. Devine calls to take a knee. They get to the huddle and the guys say "forget Devine Tommy, we have to score now for Rudy!...C'mon!" I started laughing picturing Burrow in the huddle saying "Forget Zach guys, we have to score now, c'mon!" And the rest is history.

I think for sure Burrow went in with 2 plays. A QB sneak/run up the middle and the pass play we saw. He saw the box was stacked so he switched out. Anyone who thinks he went rogue and made it up on his own doesn't get how those situations or audibles work. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 06:22 PM)TheFan Wrote: I think for sure Burrow went in with 2 plays. A QB sneak/run up the middle and the pass play we saw. He saw the box was stacked so he switched out. Anyone who thinks he went rogue and made it up on his own doesn't get how those situations or audibles work. 

This....and Moose even alluded to your point earlier in the game.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He didn't go against Taylor. We went in with two plays and picked the riskier of the two. It worked. Hooray.
Reply/Quote
Well, it worked. If it didn't, what would the press and coaches say? I like being aggressive in those situations. My friend even said it would be a great time for a pass when the Bengals went to the line.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
My problem wasn’t the play call(s) or the audible. The Bengals have too many fourth down situations in the first place. This offense has to convert on third down or on second down more often — and there’s nothing wrong with making two first down plays in a row.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 07:54 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My problem wasn’t the play call(s) or the audible.  The Bengals have too many fourth down situations in the first place.  This offense has to convert on third down or on second down more often — and there’s nothing wrong with making two first down plays in a row.

Right.

There is a reason why Zac was converting a bunch of 4th downs last season.

He needed to use every down he could just to try to be competitive.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
From MSN sports:

Just when we wanted to give credit to Zac Taylor for the call of his life, Mike Florio of all people steps in to tell us we should actually be praising quarterback Joe Burrow even more.

“Speaking to him by phone after the game, I told him that I said at that moment, ‘He’s changing it to a pass.’ ‘Sounds like you were right,’ Burrow said, laughing.”

According to Florio, Burrow gave him this as his reason: “They had a lot of people between the A gaps. We didn’t like the play we had called in that situation and we knew we were going to call that play if we didn’t get the look that we liked. It’s been a good play for us the last two years.”

Of course, the story continues to say that Uzomah was not supposed to be Burrow’s first option.

“It didn’t work out exactly the way we thought it would. I don’t think I’ve ever thrown to C.J. on that route before but we got it done... They did a great job of covering the first two and we actually threw it to C.J. in practice this week for the first time in two years. I’m glad that we got that rep because I don’t know if he would’ve been ready for it if we didn’t.”

As it turned out, Uzomah got so open that Burrow was worried he’d overthink it and miss him, Florio reports: “That was going through my mind,” Burrow said regarding missing his target because it was a too-good-to-be-true moment.
Reply/Quote
ZT likely gave him 2 plays. The run play everyone saw coming or the pass play that was likely going to isolate a linebacker on a TE. Uzomah is just too good for a linebacker to be guarding him in that situation. Zimmer got outcoached on that one. YOu dont call that play unless you have a premier pass coverage LB on your team.

But then again, passing in that situation was very dangerous. Zimmer did all he could do
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I’m glad they opted for the pass. If he does QB sneak a lot of time ticks off the clock and the game certainly would have finished with a tie (assuming they get it on QB sneak).
Reply/Quote
To answer your question.Anybody else think Burrow called that play on his own? Yes,absolutely.
Reply/Quote
This subject is ridiculous. Making an audible isn't going against the coach; it's making a necessary adjustment based off the look that the defense gives. It was obvious on TV that they were plugging the run in the middle when Joe did his hard count. Then he audibled to a pass just like he should and just like how he was probably coached to do it.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 06:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: One of the first things I saw post game were threads on Reddit saying that Burrow had audibled out of a run play to throw that pass to Uzomah to clinch the game in OT. There were multiple screen shots of Burrow doing so. Then it comes out in the press this morning that he indeed did audible to the pass play.

Yep... Burrow is too green and too classy to say otherwise (ala LeBron James telling the media that he went rogue on a play drawn up by David Blatt to hot the game winner), but it sure as hell looked like he changed the play at the line.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Why wasn’t the Mixon run the play prior ruled a first down? Not sure what the rules are when measuring, but I thought the ball just had to be past the first part of the stick which it appeared to be.
Reply/Quote
How can I start a thread about our victory and yet take a swipe at Zac.........I got it....I'll make up a scenario where Joe goes against him on our critical play...

[Image: Guinness%20brilliant.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:11 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... Burrow is too green and too classy to say otherwise (ala LeBron James telling the media that he went rogue on a play drawn up by David Blatt to hot the game winner), but it sure as hell looked like he changed the play at the line.

He did, because they called two plays in the huddle. This is a very common thing in the NFL, this isn’t Burrow sticking it to ZT.
Reply/Quote

No. It's pretty common in a lot of situations to have 2 plays called and the QB will choose which one to run at the LoS. Zac and Co have also already said that Burrow has a lot of control at the LoS, regardless. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He did, because they called two plays in the huddle. This is a very common thing in the NFL, this isn’t Burrow sticking it to ZT.

PPl have to keep in mind we had run it ALOT in situtions that probably warranted a pass. That audible was just great. They didnt expect it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
People acting like Burrow went rogue and against Taylor are showing an immense lack of knowledge of how football plays are called. Just making crap up now.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:16 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Why wasn’t the Mixon run the play prior ruled a first down?  Not sure what the rules are when measuring, but I thought the ball just had to be past the first part of the stick which it appeared to be.

They should have brought out the index card like they did in that Dallas game a few years back.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote