Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th quarter comebacks
In the Marvin Lewis era the Bengals have trailed by 7 points or more at the start of the 4th quarter 73 times. Four times they have came back to force overtime, and 5 times they have came back to win in regulation. Six of those 9 comebacks were in the Dalton era.

The first was week 5 of '03 when the Bengals came back from 6-13 to force overtime with the Bills, but we lost 22-16.

The biggest was the classic '04 game against the Ravens where the Bengals trailed 20-3 at the end of 3, but three 4th quarter td passes by Carson Palmer and a Shayne Graham FG with no time left resulted in a 27-26 victory. Palmer also led an epic comeback in '09 when we trailed the Steelers 20-9 after 3 quarters. That was the one where Palmer hit Caldwell with the game winning td with just 14 seconds left.

In 2013 in a span of 7 games Dalton led the team from behind by 7 points or more at the start of the 4th three times. In week 3 we came back from 30-21 to beat the Division Champions Packers 34-30 (Reggie Nelson with game winning 58 yard fumble return td). In week 9 we came back from 10-17 to force overtime against the Dolphins, but lost on a safety. And in week 11 we came back from 3-17 to force overtime on the 50 yard hail mary to Green on the last play of regulation, but we lost on a FG in overtime.

When we tied Carolina in '14 on the Nugent miss in overtime we had erased a 24-17 deficit at the start of the 4th quarter.

In '15 we trailed the Seahawks 24-7 at the start of the 4th quarter before winning 27-24 in overtime.

Then there was Sunday against the Dolphins.
Reply/Quote
Love good ole Kenny and Boomer but Andy has done well i must say.
Reply/Quote
Good stuff and may see a couple more this year with this bunch of players who never seem to quit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
5 or even 9 times out of 73? We suck. Ninja
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I think it is even more impressive, and relevant to this year's squad to say that in three of their four wins THIS SEASON, they trailed by two scores in the second half.

I don't have the exact numbers, but they were trailing by two scores fairly late in the third quarter in all of those wins if memory serves me correctly.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:23 AM)Shady Wrote: 5 or even 9 times out of 73? We suck.  Ninja

First of all 20 teams have more games than 73 games where they trailed by 7 or more after three quarters.

But our winning percentage in those games (.075) is very slightly below the league average (.087) and we rank 20th.

No way of figuring in the games that we came back to force into overtime.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all 20 teams have more games than 73 games where they trailed by 7 or more after three quarters.

But our winning percentage in those games (.075) is very slightly below the league average (.087) and we rank 20th.

No way of figuring in the games that we came back to force into overtime.

I was being a little snarky. Andy takes alot of flak, but he's been pretty impressive with engineering comebacks.  
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
As nice as 4th quarter comebacks are I'd still prefer they take the lead early and never have to have those 4th quarter comebacks.. You know. Like 63-0 leads.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote