Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
5 Key Players Bengals May Have To Get Rid Of This Off Season
Per WKRC Sports Story :

The main thing Bengals have to do this off season is resign Joe Burrow so he is not a Free Agent at end of next season. The sooner, the better, because all other Bengals player moves revolve around this.

So the 5 players that WKRC says look to be salary cap hits are JOE MIXON, TYLER BOYD, LA'EL COLLINS, DJ READER, TREY HENDRICKSON. WKRC isn't saying gone after next season, they are saying gone before this June.

WKRC also says there is a remote chance Mike Brown doesn't pay and keep Joe Burrow, to keep other players. However keeping Joe Burrow is what the team wants and a big reason they sold the name right to stadium for extra revenue, and no longer Paul Brown Stadium. Plus Joe Burrow is the main reason for record breaking advanced season tickets being sold by Bengals.

Joe Burrow will go from his out of college contract to being one of the highest paid players in the NFL, right up there with Mahomes and Watson. So as WKRC says it, players have to go to make room for this huge contract.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:12 PM)kevin Wrote: Per WKRC Sports Story :

The main thing Bengals have to do this off season is resign Joe Burrow so he is not a Free Agent at end of next season.  The sooner, the better, because all other Bengals player moves revolve around this.

So the 5 players that WKRC says look to be salary cap hits are JOE MIXON, TYLER BOYD,  LA'EL COLLINS, DJ READER, TREY HENDRICKSON.   WKRC isn't saying gone after next season, they are saying gone before this June.  

WKRC also says there is a remote chance Mike Brown doesn't pay and keep Joe Burrow, to keep other players.  However keeping Joe Burrow is what the team wants and a big reason they sold the name right to stadium for extra revenue, and no longer Paul Brown Stadium. Plus Joe Burrow is the main reason for record breaking advanced season tickets being sold by Bengals.

Joe Burrow will go from his out of college contract to being one of the highest paid players in the NFL, right up there with Mahomes and Watson. So as WKRC says it, players have to go to make room for this huge contract.

WKRC is either looking for views or not very bright.

Bengals are paying Burrow without question.  Even as the highest paid player the structure of the deal can be very team friendly.

As long as LC is on IR he cant be cut, Trey is a bargain, and Reader is the best run stuffer in the NFL.

The truth is the Bengals do not have to cut anyone to pay Joe.  To pay Tee, Wilson and others decisions will have to be made.

Reply/Quote

The main thing Bengals have to do this off season is resign Joe Burrow so he is not a Free Agent at end of next season.  The sooner, the better, because all other Bengals player moves revolve around this.

So the 5 players that WKRC says look to be salary cap hits are JOE MIXON, TYLER BOYD,  LA'EL COLLINS, DJ READER, TREY HENDRICKSON.   WKRC isn't saying gone after next season, they are saying gone before this June.  

WKRC also says there is a remote chance Mike Brown doesn't pay and keep Joe Burrow, to keep other players.  However keeping Joe Burrow is what the team wants and a big reason they sold the name right to stadium for extra revenue, and no longer Paul Brown Stadium. Plus Joe Burrow is the main reason for record breaking advanced season tickets being sold by Bengals.

I could definitely see us cutting Collins and Mixon, as they are not living up to their contracts and could be replaced and upgrade the team.

If they cut Boyd, Hendrickson or Reader, they'd be idiots. All 3 are outperforming their contracts by a wide margin and we're lucky to have them.

Also, the idea that we wouldn't pay Burrow to keep other players is nonsense. Brown isn't that stupid.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, but what does WKRC say?
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson and Reader? :lol:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
For reference I think this is the article the OP is talking about if anyone is interested:

https://local12.com/sports/bengals/cincinnati-bengals-salary-cap-casualties-roster-cuts-based-burrow-extension-fantasy-football-nfl-free-agency-mixon-tyler-boyd-reader-hendrickson-lael-collins-offseason-contract

Also note it mentions "the realities of being cut" meaning they discuss if it would be likely or not to happen. Also unlike what the OP stated about being cut before June, for the players listed it states the cap hit for cut before and after June 1st for those players that have contracts beyond 2023.  So even if it happened with those 3 players it probably would not happen until after June 1st to reduce the cap hit.

And mostly they are not saying they are all going to be cap casualties.  In fact they mention Reader and Hendrickson as unlikely.

For example here is what the article says about Hendrickson:

Quote: I could see the Bengals making the decision to move on after 2023 because of the money, but hard to imagine he isn't on the roster this season.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:46 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: For reference I think this is the article the OP is referencing if anyone is interested:

https://local12.com/sports/bengals/cincinnati-bengals-salary-cap-casualties-roster-cuts-based-burrow-extension-fantasy-football-nfl-free-agency-mixon-tyler-boyd-reader-hendrickson-lael-collins-offseason-contract

Also note it mentions "the realities of being cut" meaning they discuss if it would be likely;y or not to happen. Also unlike what the OP stated about being cut before June the players listed very clearly state the cap hit for cut before and after June 1st for those that have contracts beyond 2023.

What?
Reply/Quote

Um, no. 

They don't know what they're talking about. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Um, no. 

They don't know what they're talking about. 

I didn’t even catch the “might not pay Joe Burrow” part.

LOL LOL LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:46 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: For reference I think this is the article the OP is talking about if anyone is interested:

Also note it mentions "the realities of being cut" meaning they discuss if it would be likely or not to happen. Also unlike what the OP stated about being cut before June, for the players listed it states the cap hit for cut before and after June 1st for those players that have contracts beyond 2023.  So even if it happened with those 3 players it probably would not happen until after June 1st to reduce the cap hit.

And mostly they are not saying they are all going to be cap casualties.  In fact they mention Reader and Hendrickson as unlikely.

For example here is what the article says about Hendrickson:

Not to be pedantic, but you can technically designate 2 players as "post June 1st cuts" even if you release them prior to June 1st.

Quote:Post June 1st, only $1 million will be charged against the cap in 2022, with the remaining $4 million accelerating to the 2023 league year. Additionally, teams are allowed to designate up to two players per year as post-June 1st designations, even if they are released prior.

Assuming nothing has changed in the last year.
https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/training-camp/explaining-june-1-salary-cap-implications-in-the-nfl
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:32 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Not to be pedantic, but you can technically designate 2 players as "post June 1st cuts" even if you release them prior to June 1st.

Assuming nothing has changed in the last year.
https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/training-camp/explaining-june-1-salary-cap-implications-in-the-nfl

Thanks for the reminder I forgot about that one.  I guess it depends on how it is looked at because the player is released to seek opportunities elsewhere with the designation but the team keeps the player's salary on the books until June 2.  So yes I guess technically they could all be cut before June as the OP stated.  NFL contracts and cap rules are full of so many if then, then this, but now always, if this happens type stuff it is hard to keep track of.   :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thanks for the reminder I forgot about that one.  I guess it depends on how it is looked at because the player is released to seek opportunities elsewhere with the designation but the team keeps the player's salary on the books until June 2.  So yes I guess technically they could all be "cut" before June as the OP stated.  NFL contracts and cap rules are full of so many if then, then this, but now always, if this happens type stuff it is hard to keep track of.   :)

Sometimes it feels like the NFL intentionally wrote the cap rules to be confusing and nonsensical LOL
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I could definitely see us cutting Collins and Mixon, as they are not living up to their contracts and could be replaced and upgrade the team.

If they cut Boyd, Hendrickson or Reader, they'd be idiots. All 3 are outperforming their contracts by a wide margin and we're lucky to have them.

Also, the idea that we wouldn't pay Burrow to keep other players is nonsense. Brown isn't that stupid.

Ya they can save 16 mm in cap getting rid of Mixon and Collins. Heard Collins ranked 60th out of 64 OT in pass blocking and 20th in run blocking according to PFF. It would be be one thing being ranked the opposite but when you're going to pay your franchise QB nearly 500 mm you simply have to have better production/protection
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 03:50 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Sometimes it feels like the NFL intentionally wrote the cap rules to be confusing and nonsensical LOL

Yeah I think the complexity of contracts and cap rules are the result of decades of lawyers for the NFLPA and the NFL going back and forth on issues.  When you have that many lawyers squabbling and occasionally compromising for many years I can see how things would get muddy quickly.  But that's why they make the big bucks to sort through all that I guess.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
So, that was a spoof article, right? Because that perspective does not represent the way the Bengals have been doing business in recent years, at all.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 04:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, that was a spoof article, right?  Because that perspective does not represent the way the Bengals have been doing business in recent years, at all.

Click bait, it's becoming the norm anymore.

There's no way in hell there's even the slightest sliver of a chance MB cuts Joe Burrow. The only two on the list I see with a chance of being cut is Joe Mixon and Collins.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: As long as LC is on IR he cant be cut

I agree with most of your post, and this article seems like trash, but this bit I wanted to talk about the above part of your post....

I don't think LC is actually on IR anymore once the league year ends and the off-season starts. It is why people the next year get out on PUP, because the IR doesn't continue through the offseason. It is only during the season that you can't cut him off IR because he is a vested veteran, and thus during the season his base salary becomes guaranteed when he was on the roster Week 1.

This current situation is exactly why people get injury guarantees in their contract which Collins doesn't seem to have. Pretty sure he can be cut.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:27 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Yeah, but what does WKRC say?

"As God is my witness...I thought this trash sports take could fly!" - WKRC rep (allegedly).

I know it's C and not P, but...I mean...c'mon!
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2023, 02:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: WKRC is either looking for views or not very bright.

Bengals are paying Burrow without question.  Even as the highest paid player the structure of the deal can be very team friendly.

As long as LC is on IR he cant be cut, Trey is a bargain, and Reader is the best run stuffer in the NFL.

The truth is the Bengals do not have to cut anyone to pay Joe.  To pay Tee, Wilson and others decisions will have to be made.

This…. and I’d expect Joe gets pulled in on Higgins. It’s just like GB/Rodgers/Adams and KC/Mahomes/Hill it’s a tough formula and I’d expect he chooses Chase over Higgins. Personally the WR market isn’t good for anybody. I think Higgins is with us in ‘23
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Collins is injured and won't play most of next year if at all. He needs cut and we need to sign a stud RT to replace him. The other option is to just roll with Adeniji again.

Higgins and Boyd are both on the last year of their contracts. We could keep them for a year and let them become free agents or we could trade them get something of value for them that could pay dividends for years.

Mixon absolutely needs cut. He is not worth 12+ million. The extra 10 million in free cap space could be put to much better use.
Reply/Quote