Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Teams with 1 Win or Less
(11-08-2019, 12:16 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals will be 4-12 at best or 0-16 at worst. At least we know Skins Jets and Falcons aren't likely to take a QB if that's what the Bengals are looking at...

If Haskins continues to stink it up, they could. If the Falcons are smart, they would as well. Matt Ryan will be 35 next year and he's not exactly tearing it up this year. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think people on the board look at position in general. As long as we go QB they will be happy.

But, the bust rate is high on QB.

I will say that it *should* help that the Bengals have 3 former/active QB coaches on their staff right now in Van Pelt, Callahan, and Taylor.
If there's ever a time to trust the Bengals to pick a good QB, this may be it.

They need to cater a system to a QB's strengths though. Don't force a QB to fit a specific system if that QB's strengths don't match the system. That's not going to work.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 12:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, I wonder if the whole bench Dalton thing could blow up on us?

The Jets and Dolphins already have 1 win. Say they want to tank and we beat them both. The Dolphins would pick a QB. The Jets may trade that pick to a team that wants a QB...and bam...we're settling for Herbert.

And I know people will be happy with Tua or Burrow...but likely they won't both be stars. If either is.

Why not?

The teams that worries me are Tamba Bay, Titans, Chargers, Colts, Saints, or Patriots may trade up before Bengals.  I could see the Bengals missing out on Thomas, Young, Burrow, and Tua.   

I think Herbert would best fit Patriots or Saints.  I see Hurts a great fit for Chargers.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I will say that it *should* help that the Bengals have 3 former/active QB coaches on their staff right now in Van Pelt, Callahan, and Taylor.
If there's ever a time to trust the Bengals to pick a good QB, this may be it.

They need to cater a system to a QB's strengths though. Don't force a QB to fit a specific system if that QB's strengths don't match the system. That's not going to work.

I have no faith in this coaching staff to do anything.

They seem to use the same gameplan on offense and defense each week and not adjust for opponents.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Why not?

The team that worries me is Tamba Bay, Titans, Chargers, Colts, Saints, or Patriots may trade up before Bengals.  I could see the Bengals missing out on Thomas, Young, Burrow, and Tua.   

I think Herbert would best fit Patriots or Saints.  I see Hurts a great fit for Chargers.   

There's just not much history of multiple QB's coming from a draft in the Top 15 or so and all being stars.

2015 - Winston 1/ Mariota 2

That's actually a terrible draft in the Top 10:
https://www.footballdb.com/draft/draft.html?lg=NFL&yr=2015&rnd=1

2014 - Blake Bortles

2013 - EJ Manuel at 16.

2012 - Luck/Tannehill

2011 - Cam Newton/Jake Locker/Christian Ponder at 12.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Haskins continues to stink it up, they could. If the Falcons are smart, they would as well. Matt Ryan will be 35 next year and he's not exactly tearing it up this year. 

Haskins is interesting. Could this be a case like the Bengals had with John Ross where the HC wanted someone different?
Maybe Gruden didn't want Haskins so chose not to give him opportunities.
I'll be curious to see if the new HC for WSH wants a new QB or whether Snyder forces them to roll with Haskins.
After seeing what ARZ did with Rosen and getting Murray, anything is possible.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Haskins is interesting. Could this be a case like the Bengals had with John Ross where the HC wanted someone different?
I'll be curious to see if the new HC for WSH wants a new QB or whether Snyder forces them to roll with Haskins.

When Haskins has played, he hasn't looked good at all though too.

QB is tough in that IF you're say a LB...you get in and play poor...it's not extremely noticeable. As a QB, it's hugely noticeable.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Haskins has played, he hasn't looked good at all though too.

QB is tough in that IF you're say a LB...you get in and play poor...it's not extremely noticeable. As a QB, it's hugely noticeable.

True, but people need to get it out of their head that every 1st round QB has to be good immediately.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's just not much history of multiple QB's coming from a draft in the Top 15 or so and all being stars.

2014 - Blake Bortles

2013 - EJ Manuel at 16.

2012 - Luck/Tannehill

I think both will be pro-bowl studs.  This is the best qb class in years.  much better than prior years.  I think even Gordon could be special.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 01:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the Bengals or the Falcons should get the 1st overall pick regardless of record.  Of all the bad teams, they are the only two that actually went into this year with any sort of expectations and a real starting QB under center (I guess Darnold is somewhat real).  That is what makes the Bengals and Falcons the worst.

How can anyone sit the bench behind two guys who never make it on to the field?  If we pick Judge Jeudy at WR he's gonna play.

Nah..He'd HAVE to be injured before the Bengals pick him.. I'd just about bet good money whoever the Bungles pick first will be injured. It's their built in excuse to tout out another Dey..Wait for some other DEY!  Hey, are there any QBs with the last name of DEY? That would be awesome ..  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Haskins is interesting. Could this be a case like the Bengals had with John Ross where the HC wanted someone different?

Yep. Rookie contracts help teams drop bad/average QBs much sooner. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think both will be pro-bowl studs.  This is the best qb class in years.  much better than prior years.  I think even Gordon could be special.  

People generally think that a lot of years.

History tells us that maybe 1 will be good.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 05:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People generally think that a lot of years.

Not just "people", but "NFL teams".

QBs get overdrafted because the position is so important.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Haskins continues to stink it up, they could. If the Falcons are smart, they would as well. Matt Ryan will be 35 next year and he's not exactly tearing it up this year. 

The thing about the Redskins they are so deep into QB salaries right now. If they cut Alex Smith and label him as a post June cut its 21m against the cap. If they trade Haskins hes still 6m against the cap and then drafting a top 5 QB which will be around 10m that's 37m against the cap...if they dont cut Smith that adds 10m making it 47m.

Because of all that I can see them giving Haskins another year because they will be able to cut Alex Smith alot easier in 2021.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's just not much history of multiple QB's coming from a draft in the Top 15 or so and all being stars.

2014 - Blake Bortles

2013 - EJ Manuel at 16.

2012 - Luck/Tannehill

yeah lots of years are listed as QB years and sometimes you see as many as 5 go in round 1.... most the time maybe 1 or 2 is still around 5 years later (with the same team)

Be interested to see a quick break down of Active starters (their draft spot) and # of rings.....

how many Still starting QBs in the NFL were drafted 1st overall and have a SB ring....  (eli is still in the league but never played for the team that drafted him 1st overall so I really consider him the 4th pick of that draft... but hes not starting anymore.)

outside of that Geoff as been to a superbowl   unless I missed someone
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 06:33 PM)Synric Wrote: The thing about the Redskins they are so deep into QB salaries right now. If they cut Alex Smith and label him as a post June cut its 21m against the cap. If they trade Haskins hes still 6m against the cap and then drafting a top 5 QB which will be around 10m that's 37m against the cap...if they dont cut Smith that adds 10m making it 47m.

Because of all that I can see them giving Haskins another year because they will be able to cut Alex Smith alot easier in 2021.

I had forgotten all about Alex Smith. 

Reply/Quote
1 Win or less? We are the "or less."  Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 10:44 PM)Destro Wrote: 1 Win or less? We are the "or less."  Sad

Sadly we're the NFL poster child for "or less" more often than not.  Sick
Reply/Quote
I feel like we'll beat the Browns once, the Jets, and the Dolphins for 3 wins. We will pick around 3...and probably reach and take Herbert.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 12:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: We likely won't get the 1st pick. I don't want 0-16 for it.

But we can dream of the possibilities for a couple more weeks.

I'd rather go 0-16 than see another dead-cat bounce leading to false hope and a mediocre draft pick. Dalton is done here, so we need a new QB. May as well get the best available. It's not like we get the opportunity often, so may as well tank for the top pick, IMO.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote