Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 UFAs with best chance to make roster
C Brad Lundblade
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd say Worley has the best shot because of Burfict's suspension. Rey, Brown, Vigil, Jefferson and Evans are the only locks at LB. That leaves at least one spot open. I'm hoping Flowers lives up to his rookie camp hype and find a way onto the roster.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Surprised that Worley went undrafted but I think he has the potential to be a contributor for us on defense.
Reply/Quote
Always liked Worley. I think he makes the 53. At least until Burfict gets back. However, there are always injuries unfortunately. Henderson is pretty good safety. I don't think there is room for Flowers on the 53 but probably will make PS.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
It would be Flowers or Worley but I think flowers has the edge.

Reply/Quote
I reckon we'll just have to wait n see who, if anyone rises to the top come preseason game time and even then there's no guarantees as to whether they can hang in there with starters during the regular season. How many preseason stars turned into regular season duds? A few preseason duds turn on the jets come regular season, but the former is much more common.  Heck, there may still be someone waiting for final cuts from another team who just doesn't fit their particular scheme or has a really crowded bunch in their position group.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
One of the things that I could see happening is Flowers making the roster as a hybrid player (like QB/HB/WR). This way the Bengals can carry a 3rd QB, as well as another position like HB. This could help them if there's a couple other players they want to keep over the 3rd QB or the 4th HB but also don't want to do without a 3rd QB or 4th HB.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Worley makes it due to need at LB, while I think Flowers definitely makes the PS at the very least.

I think they're going to want an extended look at Flowers. A project that might last a couple years while they sort out how they want to use him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Worley and Henderson were both draftable players, so I'd give them the best chance of making the team. Flowers looks like a PS guy to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 01:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: One of the things that I could see happening is Flowers making the roster as a hybrid player (like QB/HB/WR). This way the Bengals can carry a 3rd QB, as well as another position like HB. This could help them if there's a couple other players they want to keep over the 3rd QB or the 4th HB but also don't want to do without a 3rd QB or 4th HB.

I like this idea just as an insurance as a backup quarterback but can flowers play special teams?  I think that is what Walton can do well.  Walton can be the next Peerman.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
From the outside looking in, I notice both Flowers & Worley receiving praise & press. I think Worley could crack the 53. Not sure Flowers does, but he certainly has a chance.

All five mentioned can play imho. This could be another classic case of us having to watch one or more of these guys go somewhere else and succeed.
Reply/Quote
My early bet is on Flowers (4th rb) and Worley making the initial 53, with Worley going back to ps if he clears waivers when Burfict returns. Obviously we all will have better opinions on this after the 3rd or so preseason game.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 10:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: C Brad Lundblade

Here's a little bit of a read on my guy:
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Price-bench-pressing-playbook/bd4e36a4-c163-4180-be5d-06c4cef479d2

All he has to do to make the 53 is beat out TJ Johnson. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 07:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's a little bit of a read on my guy:
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Price-bench-pressing-playbook/bd4e36a4-c163-4180-be5d-06c4cef479d2

All he has to do to make the 53 is beat out TJ Johnson. 

Enjoyed the read.  That Billy Price certainly is a team player.  Lundblade certainly has the cerebral to fit in, with his academic accolades.  Wonder why he went undrafted, after making 1st team All-Big 12?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Enjoyed the read.  That Billy Price certainly is a team player.  Lundblade certainly has the cerebral to fit in, with his academic accolades.  Wonder why he went undrafted, after making 1st team All-Big 12?

That’s a great question. Certainly you would think he would have been drafted by someone. Must be something there.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 07:44 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That’s a great question. Certainly you would think he would have been drafted by someone. Must be something there.

Weaknesses
  • Stubby frame carries painfully short arms
  • Lack of length allows nose tackles to discard and dismiss his attempts at block security on the move
  • Gets caught whiffing when nose tackles show him simple arm-overs at times
  • Attempts to neutralize opponents rather than beat them as run blocker
  • Gets fooled by occupy blocks that pull his focus from blitzers and twisters headed his way
  • Doesn't have the reactive athleticism or length needed to recover when beaten
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brad-lundblade?id=32462018-0002-5599-5927-785058ecf6ab
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 10:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: C Brad Lundblade

I agree! Can play all three interior line positions. He just may sneak in there. Good choice. Gonna be tough, but being a C and having G knowledge certainly helps his cause.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 09:47 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Weaknesses

• Stubby frame carries painfully short arms
  • Lack of length allows nose tackles to discard and dismiss his attempts at block security on the move
  • Gets caught whiffing when nose tackles show him simple arm-overs at times
  • Attempts to neutralize opponents rather than beat them as run blocker
  • Gets fooled by occupy blocks that pull his focus from blitzers and twisters headed his way
  • Doesn't have the reactive athleticism or length needed to recover when beaten
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brad-lundblade?id=32462018-0002-5599-5927-785058ecf6ab

I read an article recently that said his technique wasn't very good. It said that Price had taken hm under his wing so to speak and was trying to help him with that. 
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 12:11 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I read an article recently that said his technique wasn't very good. It said that Price had taken hm under his wing so to speak and was trying to help him with that. 

Read it too, and thought it was a cool insight to both players. Good reminder of how exciting it must be for these guys starting a new adventure.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 03:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Alright, I can clearly see that I'm the minority opinion here that Flowers has an excellent shot of making the opening day roster.  Cool

In Flowers' defense, I'm going to go with;  As a QB, his hand eye coordination is impeccable.  Dude likely handled 2500+ shotgun snaps in his college career, all while keeping his eyes on the defense at the same time.

I am with you Sunset, Flowers is impressive running the ball and is so versatile i think we will find a place for
him somewhere on the roster. We usually keep 4 RB's anyways, so Mixon, Gio, Walton and Flowers.

Also think Worley makes the roster and Rolland-Jones has a shot with his pass rush abilities.

Also am with Bfine on Lundblade, he could very well beat out TJ Johnson or Hopkins.
Reply/Quote