Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
5+ minute TD drives
Reply/Quote
That’s also indicative of the way people are playing us and the direction of the NFL
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
To do that you one can’t be turning it over .

2 you’ve got a damn good QB, especially since our run game has only come on in the last 3-4 games.

You also have to be staying away from too many penalties.

This is the kind of stats a superbowl team has
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I said in the stats thread that this is the biggest improvement in our offense. Last year a 75 yard drive was 4 plays and a go route to Ja'Marr who would take it 50 to the end zone. This year we can do that same drive but it takes 15 plays. Not only does it take minutes off the clock, it limits the opponents offensive opportunities, but it opens up the playbook to all sorts of successful plays which is evidenced by the marked improvement in red zone scoring

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
With Chase back, we can still sprinkle home those home-runs too. We are effectively a better offense this year. Hopefully we can get back to the Super Bowl while we have this core.
Reply/Quote
I saw this earlier. I think we improved in some key areas on offense. The ability for long sustained drives and don't rely on the big plays as much. We are much better in the red zone and converting short yardage situations. Although that last one may have been because we were so bad at it last year but we are still better.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
All these good numbers for the offense is due to one thing I feel, and that is the revamped O-Line that is as everyone says "gelling". Extended long clock eating drives with a score, excellent redzone scores, keeping the other teams O off the field, our D getting a breather, the run game going like old fashioned smash mouth football and JB having time to pick his receivers out. Joe said it himself that with the time he has had in the pocket it's hard NOT to find somebody open. The Oline playing like they have has opened up another level play when they are on the field. It's impressive to see. ThumbsUp I hope they find a way to mix Perine and Mixon together to really give other defenses more to plan for and not just using Perine as a 3rd down back/blocker.

Sure seemed like alot of 2nd and short for us with Perine plowing thru the line. Nance even said more than once, "Perine with another 8 to 9 yards on that run"
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 09:05 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: All these good numbers for the offense is due to one thing I feel, and that is the revamped O-Line that is as everyone says "gelling". Extended long clock eating drives with a score, excellent redzone scores, keeping the other teams O off the field, our D getting a breather, the run game going like old fashioned smash mouth football and JB having time to pick his receivers out. Joe said it himself that with the time he has had in the pocket it's hard NOT to find somebody open. The Oline playing like they have has opened up another level play when they are on the field. It's impressive to see.  ThumbsUp  I hope they find a way to mix Perine and Mixon together to really give other defenses more to plan for and not just using Perine as a 3rd down back/blocker.

Sure seemed like alot of 2nd and short for us with Perine plowing thru the line. Nance even said more than once, "Perine with another 8 to 9 yards on that run"

You know, if Mixon isn't getting those yards, we're just going to hear "the browns D-line". We seem to blame our o-line a lot and then give Mixon credit if he runs well. I hope we run well overall but I would like Perine to start or at least get 50/50 reps, I'd keep Mixon on a short leash and stop giving excuses when Perine seems better. We're trying to win a Superbowl here lol. That run game was crushing against the Chiefs, so many 7, 8, 9, 10 yard runs. I don't remember Mixon doing that, he'll gash for 20 and then 1, 2, negative. Those consistent big hits must make the game so easy for Burrow. To me Perine's floor seems higher than Mixon's floor and Perine's ceiling is higher than Mixon's ceiling, but we have no real input lol.
Reply/Quote
Burrow and the team are learning how to win without having to rely on those big, explosive plays like last year.

It is what HAD to happen for us to take the next leap and win the SB. We can play either way now and can run the ball on
teams to boot. Watch Play Action take off soon. This team is so dangerous, I wouldn't want to play us if I was a fan of another
team. Need to beat the Stains to start putting the fear in them, same with the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 07:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Burrow and the team are learning how to win without having to rely on those big, explosive plays like last year.

It is what HAD to happen for us to take the next leap and win the SB. We can play either way now and can run the ball on
teams to boot. Watch Play Action take off soon. This team is so dangerous, I wouldn't want to play us if I was a fan of another
team. Need to beat the Stains to start putting the fear in them, same with the Bills.

I don't have the numbers, but it seemed that Joe was under center a lot more against KC.  That provides more diversity to the run game and is a more effective way to run play action.  Of course that means Joe has his back to the play and takes away from what he does best, but it adds in other areas.

Bottom line, the more different things we can do, the more play calling options we have, and the more that opponents have to prepare for.

Just another step in the evolution of Joe and this offense.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 06:44 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: You know, if Mixon isn't getting those yards, we're just going to hear "the browns D-line". We seem to blame our o-line a lot and then give Mixon credit if he runs well. I hope we run well overall but I would like Perine to start or at least get 50/50 reps, I'd keep Mixon on a short leash and stop giving excuses when Perine seems better. We're trying to win a Superbowl here lol. That run game was crushing against the Chiefs, so many 7, 8, 9, 10 yard runs. I don't remember Mixon doing that, he'll gash for 20 and then 1, 2, negative. Those consistent big hits must make the game so easy for Burrow. To me Perine's floor seems higher than Mixon's floor and Perine's ceiling is higher than Mixon's ceiling, but we have no real input lol.

I'm hoping we're not having that conversation on Monday, and instead are talking about how both backs went off for huge games.  But it will be interesting, and there would be multiple possible reasons, including how the defense is playing the run, whether Burrow is functioning out of shotgun or under center when either Mixon or Perine are on the field, and run play design.  

I will say that I've seen a LOT of people jumping on the Perine wagon and supporting him starting over or at least getting more snaps than Mixon, so I don't think this is Mixon apologist heaven.  

Personally, I'd love to see them really mix it up between both backs in running and passing plays, and I want to see a fresh-legged Mixon ready to do some damage after watching Perine grind the past few games, and Perine continue to punish the defense with these guys ready to put the losing to the Browns to bed for once and all.  I look at the interesting possibilities this all presents more than the competition (which isn't how anyone on this current team seems to react anyway).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 06:25 PM)pally Wrote: I said in the stats thread that this is the biggest improvement in our offense.  Last year a 75 yard drive was 4 plays and a go route to Ja'Marr who would take it 50 to the end zone.  This year we can do that same drive but it takes 15 plays.  Not only does it take minutes off the clock, it limits the opponents offensive opportunities, but it opens up the playbook to all sorts of successful plays which is evidenced by the marked improvement in red zone scoring

It's a game of adjustments.  Offense makes plays down the field, defense adjusts and plays 2 deep, offense counters with the run and short pass game, defense stacks the box and plays man, offense goes back to deep shots.

The key is being effective in different ways, taking what the defense gives you, and not being predictable. And our super power -- a QB who can make adjustments on the fly, and a coach who trusts him to do it.

The longer this group is together, the more they continue to evolve. Evolution is good.  And I'm Christian.
Reply/Quote
Defenses aren't going to let Chase run pass them

5 minute drives are useful, because we can't afford to give Mahomes or Allen the ball back in the 4th quarter
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 06:25 PM)pally Wrote: I said in the stats thread that this is the biggest improvement in our offense.  Last year a 75 yard drive was 4 plays and a go route to Ja'Marr who would take it 50 to the end zone.  This year we can do that same drive but it takes 15 plays.  Not only does it take minutes off the clock, it limits the opponents offensive opportunities, but it opens up the playbook to all sorts of successful plays which is evidenced by the marked improvement in red zone scoring

....and it keeps your defense fresh, which is crucial late in games. It's winning the clock, Parcells made a living at it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 09:05 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: All these good numbers for the offense is due to one thing I feel, and that is the revamped O-Line that is as everyone says "gelling". Extended long clock eating drives with a score, excellent redzone scores, keeping the other teams O off the field, our D getting a breather, the run game going like old fashioned smash mouth football and JB having time to pick his receivers out. Joe said it himself that with the time he has had in the pocket it's hard NOT to find somebody open. The Oline playing like they have has opened up another level play when they are on the field. It's impressive to see.  ThumbsUp  I hope they find a way to mix Perine and Mixon together to really give other defenses more to plan for and not just using Perine as a 3rd down back/blocker.

Yes!

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 08:00 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'm hoping we're not having that conversation on Monday, and instead are talking about how both backs went off for huge games.  But it will be interesting, and there would be multiple possible reasons, including how the defense is playing the run, whether Burrow is functioning out of shotgun or under center when either Mixon or Perine are on the field, and run play design.  

I will say that I've seen a LOT of people jumping on the Perine wagon and supporting him starting over or at least getting more snaps than Mixon, so I don't think this is Mixon apologist heaven.  

Personally, I'd love to see them really mix it up between both backs in running and passing plays, and I want to see a fresh-legged Mixon ready to do some damage after watching Perine grind the past few games, and Perine continue to punish the defense with these guys ready to put the losing to the Browns to bed for once and all.  I look at the interesting possibilities this all presents more than the competition (which isn't how anyone on this current team seems to react anyway).

All of this. 

What we don't need is another opening drive turnover by the offense. We've done it three times in a row. You lose a possession and let them score, it's easier for them to play their brand of football.

Reader being back will help. 

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 11:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....and it keeps your defense fresh, which is crucial late in games. It's winning the clock, Parcells made a living at it.

This. Especially for Lou’s second half defense. Adjustments plus fresh players equals second half shutdowns.
Reply/Quote
I like those long game controlling drives.... The other QB cannot beat us if he is on the Bench. and helps keeps other teams offense from getting going and keeps the defense rested.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 05:50 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote:

Waits for some talking head to use this to say "The Bengals just aren't explosive enough".  
Reply/Quote