Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 wide formation
I heard an analyst stating that when they implemented a 5 wideoout formation at LSU that is when Burrow really became masterful. It allows him to see the coverage better and beat it. The Bengals decided to mix some of this in. From what I've seen, every time he lines up in that formation with the Bengals he succeeds. Needs to be 50% of our offense at least until proven unsuccessful
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:45 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I heard an analyst stating that when they implemented a 5 wideoout formation at LSU that is when Burrow really became masterful. It allows him to see the coverage better and beat it. The Bengals decided to mix some of this in.  From what I've seen, every time he lines up in that formation with the Bengals he succeeds.  Needs to be 50% of our offense at least until proven unsuccessful

It has been used quite often. The problem is, college offensive lines can handle college pass rushers better. However, in recent history, college pass rushers have translated to the NFL better than college offensive linemen. There are a plethora of really good pass rushers in the NFL, but not a ton of really good offensive linemen. In our case, that is resulting in Burrow being under a lot of pressure, and five wide doesn't help that. Burrow has done really well, regardless, but I am worried about his longevity with the amount of five-wide we run with the state of this offensive line. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:49 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It has been used quite often. The problem is, college offensive lines can handle college pass rushers better. However, in recent history, college pass rushers have translated to the NFL better than college offensive linemen. There are a plethora of really good pass rushers in the NFL, but not a ton of really good offensive linemen. In our case, that is resulting in Burrow being under a lot of pressure, and five wide doesn't help that. Burrow has done really well, regardless, but I am worried about his longevity with the amount of five-wide we run with the state of this offensive line. 
When we run five wides he gets it out quicker and has no real pressure. It has not been stopped since I've seen it here. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:45 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I heard an analyst stating that when they implemented a 5 wideoout formation at LSU that is when Burrow really became masterful. It allows him to see the coverage better and beat it. The Bengals decided to mix some of this in.  From what I've seen, every time he lines up in that formation with the Bengals he succeeds.  Needs to be 50% of our offense at least until proven unsuccessful

part of the problem in making that comparison is the defense at times was in prevent end of half or especially the last TD which really was the gift TD of just not allowing a quick score... In the NFL you are not going to live long if you stay empty.. I actually liked what Aikman said which is the total opposite... Burrow needs to be under center.. allows play action... I think a mix of both is good..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow has made it known he likes 5 man protection. Of course it will take him a while to convince the coaches as it goes against common practices.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:52 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: When we run five wides he gets it out quicker and has no real pressure. It has not been stopped since I've seen it here. 

I could be misremembering, I don't have the numbers in front of me. I am remembering it working well but him being under quite a bit of pressure when we go five wide. I would be interested in seeing success rates broken down by offensive packages. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I could be misremembering, I don't have the numbers in front of me. I am remembering it working well but him being under quite a bit of pressure when we go five wide. I would be interested in seeing success rates broken down by offensive packages. 

Would like to see the stats as well. 
Reply/Quote
Empty Formation:

14/21, 129 yds, 3 TD
+0.72 EPA/DB
1 pressure (4.8% QBP rate)

All Other Formations

23/39, 187 yds
-0.13 EPA/DB
20 pressures (47.6% QBP rate)
Reply/Quote
Honestly, even when they aren’t five wide they are in five man protections a lot. The difference as stated is when you spread the defense out five wide the coverages become much harder to disguise compared to when five go in the pattern but from more compressed sets.
Reply/Quote
I said it before, in another thread, this team has the talent to be super dangerous in a 5 wide set...if they had a good O-Line.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:29 PM)Destro Wrote: I said it before, in another thread, this team has the talent to be super dangerous in a 5 wide set...if they had a good O-Line.

He seems to get rid of it much quicker in the 5 wide sets, like in one second. It might actually play well to their weakness. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:48 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Empty Formation:

14/21, 129 yds, 3 TD
+0.72 EPA/DB
1 pressure (4.8% QBP rate)

All Other Formations

23/39, 187 yds
-0.13 EPA/DB
20 pressures (47.6% QBP rate)

Wonderful find, I am completely wrong. I wonder if I am thinking of four wide, but regardless, this is awesome and shows that Burrow truly is comfortable five wide. If it is working, then keep doing it.
Reply/Quote

Yes, use it often.
Reply/Quote