Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 year history pick 33
I decided to check the recent history of pick 33 and here are the results....

2019 Byron Murphy CB Washington.....drafted by Arizona
68 tackles, 1 int, 10 pass defended in 1st year

2018 Austin Corbett G/C Nevada....drafted by Cleveland
22 games, 8 games started, 7 with the Rams
Cleveland dealt him to the Rams as an underachiever for a 5th rounder

2017 Kevin King CB Washington....drafted by Green Bay
Last year 66 tackles, 1 force fumble, 5 ints, 15 passes defended
Career 111 tackles, 1 force fumble, 6 ints, 22 passes defended
This is the most recent trade involving pick 33.
Green Bay traded back from 29 to 33 with Cleveland, also getting Cleveland's 108th pick.

2016 Emmanuel Ogbah DE Okla St....drafted by Cleveland
Last year 32 tackles, 5 1/2 sacks, 1 forced fumble
Career 154 tackles, 18 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
Traded in April last year to KC for safety Eric Murray.
Ogbah forced the trade by no showing at Cleveland's off season programs.

2015 Landon Collins S Alabama....drafted by the Giants
Last year 117 tackles 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles
Career 554 tackles, 5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 8 ints
3x Pro Bowler
This is the most recent trade up
Giants traded pick 40, 108 and 245 to the Titans for pick 33.

So basically there have been two trades in the last 5 years at pick 33.
Green Bay traded back to 33 with Cleveland
And the Giants traded up to 33 with the Titans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
i like trading back for an extra 3rd this year

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think that recent list of 33rd pick outcomes only goes to show what we already know, that it's a crap shoot on weather that player will be a stud or a dud.

I still believe that if there is a player there who's talent evaluation matches that slot, and he will make your team better than it was the year before, it's best to just make the pick. I'm honestly not sure that the Bengals would make great selections with additional picks, anyway. We've had drafts in recent years with as many as 10 picks. Did they make great selections of players that fit specific roles? Not really, they just seemed to amass a bunch of guys that typically bombed out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Tells me it could be a good spot to get a db. Id rather load up the front 7 or oline, but you have to stick to BPA.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: i like trading back for an extra 3rd this year

Depends on who is available, or how many good guys are available.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that recent list of 33rd pick outcomes only goes to show what we already know, that it's a crap shoot on weather that player will be a stud or a dud.

I still believe that if there is a player there who's talent evaluation matches that slot, and he will make your team better than it was the year before, it's best to just make the pick. I'm honestly not sure that the Bengals would make great selections with additional picks, anyway. We've had drafts in recent years with as many as 10 picks. Did they make great selections of players that fit specific roles? Not really, they just seemed to amass a bunch of guys that typically bombed out.

While I agree, Cleveland made 2 of those picks, so not surprising that 1 of them underwhelmed (Ogbah's been fine, though not setting the world on fire).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Man, there looks to be a ton of talent available at this pick until midround. Lots of RB and WR which might entice a trade down and still get the pick they want, but again, there really could be a stud pick waiting for us.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:02 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I decided to check the recent history of pick 33 and here are the results....

2019 Byron Murphy CB Washington.....drafted by Arizona
68 tackles, 1 int, 10 pass defended in 1st year

2018 Austin Corbett G/C Nevada....drafted by Cleveland
22 games, 8 games started, 7 with the Rams
Cleveland dealt him to the Rams as an underachiever for a 5th rounder

2017 Kevin King CB Washington....drafted by Green Bay
Last year 66 tackles, 1 force fumble, 5 ints, 15 passes defended
Career 111 tackles, 1 force fumble, 6 ints, 22 passes defended
This is the most recent trade involving pick 33.
Green Bay traded back from 29 to 33 with Cleveland, also getting Cleveland's 108th pick.

2016 Emmanuel Ogbah DE Okla St....drafted by Cleveland
Last year 32 tackles, 5 1/2 sacks, 1 forced fumble
Career 154 tackles, 18 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
Traded in April last year to KC for safety Eric Murray.
Ogbah forced the trade by no showing at Cleveland's off season programs.

2015 Landon Collins S Alabama....drafted by the Giants
Last year 117 tackles 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles
Career 554 tackles, 5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 8 ints
3x Pro Bowler
This is the most recent trade up
Giants traded pick 40, 108 and 245 to the Titans for pick 33.  

So basically there have been two trades in the last 5 years at pick 33.
Green Bay traded back to 33 with Cleveland
And the Giants traded up to 33 with the Titans.

I went back to the year 2000 to see how often the 1st pick of the 2nd round was traded (short answer not often)

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-2nd-round-pick-33?pid=838237#pid838237

(02-26-2020, 08:15 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: If a team covets Love or Fromm aren't they going to trade up to the back of the first to take them so as to get the 5th year option e.g. like Ravens for Lamar Jackson in 2018, Vikings for Bridgewater in 2014, Redskins for Patrick Ramsey in 2002? All taken with the 32nd pick.

Since 2000 the 33rd pick has only been traded 4 times and never for a QB.
One was the previous year before they knew it was the 33rd, one was trading up into the first leaving just two teams trading up for the 33rd.

2017 Browns moved up from 33rd to 29th for Ndjoku
2015 Giants traded up from 40 to 33 for Landon Collins (cost them 108th and 245th)
2010 the Patriots received a 2011 2nd round pick from Carolina that turned out to be the 33rd
2007 Cardinals moved up from 38 to 33rd for Alan Branch (the Raiders received the 105th)
Reply/Quote
The Draft is a crapshoot man. Think there should be at least a couple players that fit what we need that should slide
out of the 1st. Depending on the needs of the teams right behind us I would just make the pick at 33, but if we can
trade back from 33 and still get said player I am all for it.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't just look at pick 33, but at the top 5 picks in the 2nd round over the years. There's been some great ones. That spot is worth a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I wouldn't just look at pick 33, but at the top 5 picks in the 2nd round over the years.  There's been some great ones.  That spot is worth a lot.

Yeah, it is a nice place to be when we need someone to fall a touch.

Might be the first time I enjoy the Draft a lot with us getting the first pick in each round.

Hopefully they won't just go to commercial everytime we are about to pick lol
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: i like trading back for an extra 3rd this year

There are a couple teams with multiple 2nd rounders...if they want 33 bad enough...get more than a 3rd.  
Reply/Quote
I'm all for moving back and getting more picks. They've done pretty well with moving back in the 2nd the last few years when they had a guy targeted: Mixon, Bates, and the jury is still out with Sample. The trade value chart shows trading down 5-10 spots should net a 4th & a 5th/6th. I think they can get a 3rd with the extra time before their pick.

This year I really want to accumulate picks in rounds 2-4. The staff coaching in the North/South game is huge and they should take advantage of it. The likelihood of hitting on those picks should be much higher this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There are a couple teams with multiple 2nd rounders...if they want 33 bad enough...get more than a 3rd.  

I hope I'm wrong, but the teams aren't going to overpay like that. The teams with 2 2nds would be able to move up into the mid/upper 20s offering that. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:58 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I hope I'm wrong, but the teams aren't going to overpay like that. The teams with 2 2nds would be able to move up into the mid/upper 20s offering that. 

Based on the point system, you are right...

I am starting to just hope a stud WR or LB falls to them there and they just take it.  A fringe first round pick should be an immediate starter and there is a lot of talent out there this year.  I do hope it is from one of those two position groups....LB if I got to choose.  I think WR has tremendous depth in the draft.  

If they are able to add just one starter in FA at Guard, CB, or LB it would really open up the draft for WR, LB/CB (whichever is not attained in FA) and then a Guard at the top of Rd 4.  
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I wouldn't just look at pick 33, but at the top 5 picks in the 2nd round over the years.  There's been some great ones.  That spot is worth a lot.

Yep, we took Andy Dalton with the #35 pick that we got in trade, from the Raiders.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Based on the point system, you are right...

I am starting to just hope a stud WR or LB falls to them there and they just take it.  A fringe first round pick should be an immediate starter and there is a lot of talent out there this year.  I do hope it is from one of those two position groups....LB if I got to choose.  I think WR has tremendous depth in the draft.  

If they are able to add just one starter in FA at Guard, CB, or LB it would really open up the draft for WR, LB/CB (whichever is not attained in FA) and then a Guard at the top of Rd 4.  

I get wanting to stay at 33, and I agree that there should be a good LB/WR available. I'd also add a G/RT type as an option at 33. Really it all depends on how free agency goes. 

I'm probably sounding like a broken record but right now I prefer they trade down for more picks to take advantage of the coaching the North/South game. That opinion could change depending what they get for Dalton. If they can get a mid-3rd or more, I'd be 'more ok' picking at 33 and trading down later. 

Free agency starting & Dalton being traded can't get here soon enough.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 10:01 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I get wanting to stay at 33, and I agree that there should be a good LB/WR available. I'd also add a G/RT type as an option at 33. Really it all depends on how free agency goes. 

I'm probably sounding like a broken record but right now I prefer they trade down for more picks to take advantage of the coaching the North/South game. That opinion could change depending what they get for Dalton. If they can get a mid-3rd or more, I'd be 'more ok' picking at 33 and trading down later. 

Free agency starting & Dalton being traded can't get here soon enough.

That's what is so exciting (and nerve wracking at the same time) is that all this talk about trading back to accumulate more picks could be academic if they are able to get a few solid picks for trades.

I was thinking about Glenn and Dre and maybe there is a team with a need for both positions with cap space that would be willing to part with a single pick for both.  Almost like you get a 5th and a 7th but in this case it turns in to a decent 4th round pick?  I can dream.

Either way, I sure hope a second for Dalton happens.  That, and one key FA move (it really would only have to be one!) at, say, LB, and the draft opens up to get Burrow, a WR1, a CB, and a ball hawking safety all in the first three rounds.  God, I get so excited every time I picture walking in to draft day with the #1 overall pick, two 2nd round picks, and the first pick in Rd 3.  That would be 4 picks in the top 65 players.  Wow.  Can't come soon enough (that's what she said).  
Reply/Quote