Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
53 Man Roster due Saturday the 5th at 4 p.m.
(09-02-2020, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That TE group is somewhat concerning...

Well, I have been seeing Sample and Uzomah looking pretty damn good in the vids.

Cethan Carter is Simmons guy and he must be for a reason as Simmons is one of the best ST's coaches in the league.

But yeah, would like for us to look into a top TE next year in the Draft for sure if Sample doesn't take off.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Sample will have a good year with Burrow throwing to him, loves to throw to the TE's and Sample
is sure handed similar to Thaddeus Moss and even blocks better. We will see with this group.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 09:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, I have been seeing Sample and Uzomah looking pretty damn good in the vids.

Cethan Carter is Simmons guy and he must be for a reason as Simmons is one of the best ST's coaches in the league.

But yeah, would like for us to look into a top TE next year in the Draft for sure if Sample doesn't take off.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Sample will have a good year with Burrow throwing to him, loves to throw to the TE's and Sample
is sure handed similar to Thaddeus Moss and even blocks better. We will see with this group.

If Uzomah and Sample both stay healthy we’ll probably be ok, but we need better depth than Cethan Carter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 10:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If Uzomah and Sample both stay healthy we’ll probably be ok, but we need better depth than Cethan Carter.

Have to agree, with both TE and CB we need more depth, especially with the injuries at Corner.

BTW, speaking of CB, heard Tony Brown had a great night on Sunday.

Just happy we have first dibs on the waiver wire, maybe we can pick up a good CB and TE.
Reply/Quote
Don't see the need for 3 qb's. I don't see Finley, Dolegala, or Allen getting picked up. We can get whichever is 3rd string to the practice squad. Scotty Washington would probably get to the practice squad especially without preseason games. Gotta keep 6 linebackers, especially for special teams.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 10:14 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Don't see the need for 3 qb's.  I don't see Finley, Dolegala, or Allen getting picked up.  We can get whichever is 3rd string to the practice squad.  Scotty Washington would probably get to the practice squad especially without preseason games.  Gotta keep 6 linebackers, especially for special teams.

I know that the coaches have said Finley has looked good in the scrimmages but unless that arm has gotten bigger he is 
more of a wasted spot to me than a lot of these guys. Dolegala at least has a big arm and I heard he has looked good to 
this TC. I know that Finley is Taylor's pick but if he cannot help on Sunday's getting us wins it is a wasted spot.

Would rather bring in Mo Sanu and keep him as a utility player that can back up multiple spots if he has no other suitors.

Mo can play ST's, block, can play WR, QB, RB, etc
Reply/Quote
I think Evans probably makes the team. Be very surprised to only have one LB that was here last year.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That TE group is somewhat concerning...

Not strong but they can block and it seems ZT will have more multi WR sets and I still see Tate as that matchup nightmare in the slot
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks don't think Allen is getting one of the QB spots?

See, if the coaches rreally don't have an ego, they'd cut bait on Finley and make him the covidQB, and Allen 2nd string.

Unless the plan is covidQB (Allen) steps into the starter's spot right off the bat
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
8 receivers is pure insanity.

If they do this I'll be extremely disappointed.
Reply/Quote
Here it is

2QB Burrow, Finley
4RB Mixon, Gio, Williams, Patrick
3TE Uzi, Sample, Carter
7WR Green, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Higgins, Erickson, Stanley
9OL Williams, MJ, Hopkins, FJ, Hart, Price, X, Hakeem, Knipfel

8DL Dunlap, Atkins, Reader, Daniels, Hubbard, Lawson, Brown, Kareem
6LB Pratt, Bynes, Wilson, ADG, Evans, Bailey
7CB WJ3, Alexander, Philips, Sims, Brown, Rose, Waynes
4S JB3, Bell, Williams, Wilson

3 Huber, Randy, Harris

Pretty sure Waynes has to make the initial 53 in order to be eligible to return this year. So we have to keep him then send him to IR. Very well could use that #1 waiver priority and replace Waynes, Knipfel, and Patrick on the roster after cut down with best talent available. Preferably a big DT and another OL.
Reply/Quote
I can see a cut of a TE from a team like TB.

They have 3 good TE's. Gronk and Howard are going nowhere, but third Cameron Brate. If so, maybe then we grab someone like him who is cut do to salary and unexpected addition of Gronk.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 09:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can see a cut of a TE from a team like TB.

They have 3 good TE's. Gronk and Howard are going nowhere, but third Cameron Brate. If so, maybe then we grab someone like him who his cut do to salary and unexpected addition of Gronk.

Would love to get Brate...
Reply/Quote
I think with 16 on the PS, and the ability to protect 4, and have vets there, we see some experienced guys on the PS.

With COVID, if injuries hit, you need guys who can come in and play right away. FAs will have to go through protocol. I'd want more guys who can play immediately rather than projects, both on the roster and on the PS. A kicker/punter on the PS might be a good idea. And a LS.

Looking at the roster differently:

1. Roster Locks = 37. Starters + first backups.

O = 18. Burrow; Mixon; Green, Boyd (slot), Ross; Uzomah; J. Williams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart. Finley; Bernard; Higgins, Tate, Sample, Johnson, Price.

D = 16. Dunlap, Atkins, Reader, Hubbard; Bynes, Pratt; WJ3, Alexander (slot), Phillips; Bell, Bates. Lawson, Daniels; L. Wilson, Sims, S. Williams.

ST = 3. Bullock, Huber, Harris.
------------

2. Near Locks = 6 (43 total).

O = 3. Erickson; Carter; Adeniji.
D = 3. Kareem; ADJ, B. Wilson.
----------

3. Probable = 4 (47 total).

O = 3. T. Williams; Thomas; Redmond.
D = 1 Bailey.
------------

With only 6 spots left, it is time to take inventory. We still lack a QB3 (Dolegala/Allen), a 4th RB (Perine/Patrick), a TE4 (Schreck/Wilcox/Franks), a 6th LB (Calitro/Evans).

There are only 7 DL so far, 1-2 more have to make it (A. Brown, Freedom, Futrell, Bledsoe, McKenzie, Dishon). And I only have 4 CBs, there has to be 1-2 more there (T. Brown, Rose).

A 5th safety (Henderson) or an 8th WR (Morgan) are also possible based on their play.

For me, I think Morgan, A. Brown, Calitro, T. Brown, Rose, Perine, and Morgan are the guys most deserving of making it, but we only have room for 6 of them. And that is assuming only 2 QBs and no waiver pick-ups.

4. Last 6.

Perine (RB4), A. Brown (DE/DT), Calitro (LB6), T. Brown (CB), Rose (CB), Henderson (S5).
----------

5. Pracice Squad (16)

1. Morgan (Protected) WR8
2. Dolegala (Protected) QB3
3. Evans (Protected) LB7
4. F. Akinmoladun (Protected) DL9
------------
5. Schreck TE4
6. Patrick RB5
7. Wilcox TE5
8. Mauigoa OL10
9. Knipfel OL11
10. McTyler CB7
11. Bledsoe DL10
12. Dishon DL11
13. Spears Jr LB8
14. Washington WR9
15. McKenzie DT/OG (or Godsil if no one else can LS2)
16. Vizcaino PK/P (or another PK/P)
-------------

6. So long

Allen; Irwin, Lodge; Franks; Futrell; Mabin, Smith.
----------

I would assume we claim someone (or more than one someone) who gets waived and they make the 53, or at least the PS. Anyway, that is how I see the guys we have.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 12:08 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Here it is

2QB Burrow, Finley
4RB Mixon, Gio, Williams, Patrick
3TE Uzi, Sample, Carter
7WR Green, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Higgins, Erickson, Stanley
9OL Williams, MJ, Hopkins, FJ, Hart, Price, X, Hakeem, Knipfel

8DL Dunlap, Atkins, Reader, Daniels, Hubbard, Lawson, Brown, Kareem
6LB Pratt, Bynes, Wilson, ADG, Evans, Bailey
7CB WJ3, Alexander, Philips, Sims, Brown, Rose, Waynes
4S JB3, Bell, Williams, Wilson

3 Huber, Randy, Harris

Pretty sure Waynes has to make the initial 53 in order to be eligible to return this year. So we have to keep him then send him to IR. Very well could use that #1 waiver priority and replace Waynes, Knipfel, and Patrick on the roster after cut down with best talent available. Preferably a big DT and another OL.

I think you are right on Waynes. But once folks clear waivers, he'll be on IR & we will fill that spot. 

Also think you are right that we pickup someone on waivers: DL, CB, and QB still possible.

Like you, I see no reason for Dolegala or Allen to make the 53. Put one or both on the PS, protect the best one, and go from there. Who cares if our 3rd/4th QB gets poached?
Reply/Quote
My guess (preference?):

QB (3) - Burrow, Dolegala, Finley
RB (4) - Mixon, Bernard, Williams, Perine
TE (3) - Uzomah, Sample, Carter
WR (7) - Green, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Higgins, Thomas, Erickson
OL (8) - Williams, Jordan, Hopkins, Sua-Filo, Hart, Johnson, Adeniji, Price

DL (9) - Atkins, Reader, Dunlap, Hubbard, Daniels, Lawson, Brown, Kareem, Covington
LB (5) - Bynes, Pratt, Wilson, Davis-Gaither, Bailey
S (5) - Bates, Bell, Williams, Wilson, Henderson
CB (6) - WJ3, Alexander, Phillips, Rose, Sims, McTyer

K - Bullock
P - Huber
LS - Harris

Bolded are my bubble guys.

I could see Henderson being dropped for an extra OL, but I don't see any OL on the squad who deserves to make the 53. If the Bengals were to go with an extra OL, I'd expect it'd be someone they picked up after cutdown day.

EDIT - Removed Calitro for Covington after today's trade.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My guess (preference?):

QB (3) - Burrow, Dolegala, Finley
RB (4) - Mixon, Bernard, Williams, Perine
TE (3) - Uzomah, Sample, Carter
WR (7) - Green, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Higgins, Thomas, Erickson
OL (8) - Williams, Jordan, Hopkins, Sua-Filo, Hart, Johnson, Adeniji, Price

DL (8) - Atkins, Reader, Dunlap, Hubbard, Daniels, Lawson, Brown, Kareem
LB (6) - Bynes, Pratt, Wilson, Davis-Gaither, Bailey, Calitro
S (5) - Bates, Bell, Williams, Wilson, Henderson
CB (6) - WJ3, Alexander, Phillips, Rose, Sims, McTyer

K - Bullock
P - Huber
LS - Harris

Bolded are my bubble guys.

I could see Henderson being dropped for an extra OL, but I don't see any OL on the squad who deserves to make the 53. If the Bengals were to go with an extra OL, I'd expect it'd be someone they picked up after cutdown day.

This is pretty close to what I suspect will happen. A couple of differences though: 

I doubt they go with only 8 DL, especially since only one is a NT. I would scratch Henderson and add Akinmoludun. He's not a NT either, but I have a sneaky feeling they like him more than Brown anyway. Just a guess. Regardless, I suspect our waiver claims this weekend include a NT, and one of those two guys is cut. 

On CB, as somebody mentioned above, Waynes has to make the club for us to be able to bring him off IR later. So scratch McTyer and include Waynes. Then immediately after official cuts we put Waynes on IR, and either bring back McTyer or a waiver claim. And personally I suspect Tony Brown makes it over Rose, but who knows. Brown was a good special teamer in GB, I believe (I liked him in the draft and was surprised they waived him). 

I think I see Redmond making it before Calitro, but again who knows. 
Reply/Quote
Regardless, some additions I could see happening:

Decent nose tackles aren't that hard to find on cutdown day, so I bet we claim one.

Back of the CB room, once Waynes officially goes to IR: could be a waiver claim. Could also be a veteran such as Prince Amukamara, who I think overlapped with Anarumo in NY (could be wrong) and was just let go by the Raiders. But teams hold on to good young CBs, so unlike NT there's no guarantee we find anybody there better than McTyer or Rose.

OL: Since Johnson, Adeniji and Price all have positional versatility, we might go into week 1 with just 8 OL. We might see if we can stash Redmond on the PS, but remember how much Frank Pollack liked him? Maybe he ends up with the Jets. But a guy to keep an eye on is Jamon Brown, recently released by the Falcons and overlapped with ZT in Los Angeles. From Louisville too. Maybe we work him out at the beginning of week 2, as at least last I knew veteran contracts weren't guaranteed if signed after week 1.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think Evans probably makes the team. Be very surprised to only have one LB that was here last year.

We need some players in year 3 and 4 to step in 2021. I hope Evans is one of them.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 06:27 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Regardless, some additions I could see happening:

Decent nose tackles aren't that hard to find on cutdown day, so I bet we claim one.

Back of the CB room, once Waynes officially goes to IR: could be a waiver claim. Could also be a veteran such as Prince Amukamara, who I think overlapped with Anarumo in NY (could be wrong) and was just let go by the Raiders. But teams hold on to good young CBs, so unlike NT there's no guarantee we find anybody there better than McTyer or Rose.

OL: Since Johnson, Adeniji and Price all have positional versatility, we might go into week 1 with just 8 OL. We might see if we can stash Redmond on the PS, but remember how much Frank Pollack liked him? Maybe he ends up with the Jets. But a guy to keep an eye on is Jamon Brown, recently released by the Falcons and overlapped with ZT in Los Angeles. From Louisville too. Maybe we work him out at the beginning of week 2, as at least last I knew veteran contracts weren't guaranteed if signed after week 1.

I believe any vet on the 53 man roster the first game gets a guaranteed salary. I bring it up as Bengals have more contract flexibility after week #1.

After week 1, team can claim them, give them contracts or keep existing, but they could also sign them and cut them in 2 or 3 weeks with no long term salary cap hit.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 07:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We need some players in year 3 and 4 to step in 2021. I hope Evans is one of them.

Evans is a FA after this year, and I doubt he's back in 2021. 
Reply/Quote