Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
53 Man Roster
(05-05-2017, 05:13 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Let me clarify, I meant was Benwikere brought in as a camp body.  

I see it this way.. 

Russell is young and has shown flashes. INT last year showed he can make impact plays at this level. But there's nothing there to suggest he would be able to start for us in a pinch. Not yet anyway. So he's a solid prospect. 

Benwikere caught our coaches eyes with his playtime in Carolina. He has several NFL starts under his belt despite only being 25. However, what happened in Carolina (giving up 300 yards to Julio Jones and getting cut) damaged his mental game. If he's able to recover from that damage, he'd be an excellent addition to our CB room. So he is also a solid prospect.

Bottom line: Neither one is a "camp body", but one of them will be cut if push comes to shove. Odds are one of our 7 "roster-quality" CBs will get hurt between now and September. Having guys like Russell and Benwikere around to fill out the bottom of the CB depth chart is smart. 

In an ideal world I'm sure they would love to keep both. It will just depend how and when the injuries fall, and which of these two has a better camp.

If you need to go into the season with 6 CBs, it's always better to bring 7-8 solid options to camp. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:26 PM)Slythe Wrote: I see it this way.. 

Russell is young and has shown flashes. INT last year showed he can make impact plays at this level. But there's nothing there to suggest he would be able to start for us in a pinch. Not yet anyway. So he's a solid prospect. 

Benwikere caught our coaches eyes with his playtime in Carolina. He has several NFL starts under his belt despite only being 25. However, what happened in Carolina (giving up 300 yards to Julio Jones and getting cut) damaged his mental game. If he's able to recover from that damage, he'd be an excellent addition to our CB room. So he is also a solid prospect.

Bottom line: Neither one is a "camp body", but one of them will be cut if push comes to shove. Odds are one of our 7 "roster-quality" CBs will get hurt between now and September. Having guys like Russell and Benwikere around to fill out the bottom of the CB depth chart is smart. 

In an ideal world I'm sure they would love to keep both. It will just depend how and when the injuries fall, and which of these two has a better camp.

If you need to go into the season with 6 CBs, it's always better to bring 7-8 solid options to camp. 

Yeah, I was seeing it that way too.  I'm more wondering right now (with injuries not coming into play), who would they cut between Russell and Benwikere?  Do they view Russell as the player with more upside and Benwikere as the likely cut or are they up to something else?  Also, it seems everyone here thinks Benwikere is the one to likely be cut.  But yeah, your answer point about Benwikere needing his confidence built up was something I hadn't thought about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:31 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Yeah, I was seeing it that way too.  I'm more wondering right now (with injuries not coming into play), who would they cut between Russell and Benwikere?  Do they view Russell as the player with more upside and Benwikere as the likely cut or are they up to something else?  Also, it seems everyone here thinks Benwikere is the one to likely be cut.  But yeah, your answer point about Benwikere needing his confidence built up was something I hadn't thought about.

I prefer Russel, but predict Benwikere will make the squad because our coaches almost always take experience over potential.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:13 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Let me clarify, I meant was Benwikere brought in as a camp body.  

Ahh. Then yes, I think Benwikere was a camp body.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote