Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 KEY DAYS COMING FOR BENGALS
(02-17-2022, 09:56 AM)kevin Wrote: Other teams will be all over Reiff and Bates on Day One of Free Agency.  They will not be as easy to resign because of that.  Now if you are saying Uzomah is a Free Agent also, that is a problem.   The Bengals will have to use their one Franchise Tag wisely.  The Bengals do not have long to decide who they lock in for one more year with the Tag. 

I don't think the entire O Line is up for being replaced. Getting rid of all 5 starters on a Super Bowl O Line could just put Bengals back in Last Place.  Jonah Williams and others will be back.  They do need to Add some Better Blockers, but in no way would I suggest a complete elimination and rebuild after winning 3 Play-Off Games and AFC.   The First Bengal Draft Pick must be a BLOCKER, that should not even be up for debate. Burrow needs a lot more BLOCKING.  What Burrow did behind this Line, he really should have been NFL MVP. 

Teams will be all over Reiff? What?!?! Franchise tag him?!?! You do realize he was cut last year because nobody would pay him $11 mil (far less than franchise tag) and then didn’t have a bunch of teams lining up to make him a starter. In fact most assumed he was going to be forced to be a backup or at best kick inside to guard. He also made less than half of the franchise tag amount this season and did nothing to really outperform that salary. He also had injury concerns. We should be worried about UPGRADING Reiff, not how we are going to keep him.

CJ is also not a franchise tag candidate.

The bengals have ONE legitimate franchise tag player and that is bates. If we don’t franchise tag him we don’t franchise tag anyone. The price that franchise tag players cost is way to high to just use it simply to keep a player. They have to be worth paying top 5 money to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:31 AM)higgy100 Wrote: LOL. How the hell do you think a team that was suppose to come in last place THIS season after winning 6 games the previous 2 years got to the SB? Every player and coach on this team spoke of the veteran leaders that also were pretty damn good players that kept team chemistry, belief and the locker room intact.

Your line of thinking is EXACTLY what happens to teams like the S__t stains up north and all these manufactured teams over the years that bring in shit morale and me me me players.

100% correct. We’ve seen not keeping glue guys lead to our beloved teams falling back to being mediocre. Two names always come to mind for me. Tony Perez and Max Montoya.

It’s totally worth keeping Bates and CJ around because of what they bring to the locker room.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 12:04 PM)brian5562 Wrote: 100% correct. We’ve seen not keeping glue guys lead to our beloved teams falling back to being mediocre. Two names always come to mind for me. Tony Perez and Max Montoya.

It’s totally worth keeping Bates and CJ around because of what they bring to the locker room.

Hilarious Oh.  My.  God.  The reason we need to overpay for fake 'Locker Room Guys' is because of 2 reds /bengals players from 35-45 years ago. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: I wouldn't be shocked if this team burned a bit of draft capital to move up a bit in the draft to get players they want, especially for Oline guys, but there will be other positions that need to be filled as we know not everyone will be back. I don't see them mortgaging their future ala Rams, but sacrificing a year of #1 pick? I dunno.. It won't be deferred till sometime in the distant future like some teams tend to do..

I agree that trading off 8 years of first rounders is not the way to go, but if the right player is there (either draft or team trade) and we need to trade a #1 to make the deal it absolutely has to be looked at. I don't think that the Rams are very bummed about not having a pick at #32 this year. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 12:04 PM)brian5562 Wrote: 100% correct. We’ve seen not keeping glue guys lead to our beloved teams falling back to being mediocre. Two names always come to mind for me. Tony Perez and Max Montoya.

And we know that, production-wise, CJ will never command that huge salary. I believe as long as he's nicely compensated he'd like to remain a key cog that can catch 40-50 balls a year, block his ass off like he does and get back to AFC championship games in a city he's comfortable in and beloved.

And salaries aren't paid based on anything more than that team "hoping" production stays the same or increases and really only what a player has done previously and Bates has been very productive overall prior to the incredible playoff performance. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 12:13 PM)CincyDog Wrote: Hilarious Oh.  My.  God.  The reason we need to overpay for fake 'Locker Room Guys' is because of 2 reds /bengals players from 35-45 years ago. 

I'm thinking if your athletic accomplishments amounted to anything other than supplying the Capri Sun to your teammates after overhand throw in Little League then you might understand just a tad bit better what is being discussed here.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 12:35 PM)higgy100 Wrote: I'm thinking if your athletic accomplishments amounted to anything other than supplying the Capri Sun to your teammates after overhand throw in Little League then you might understand just a tad bit better what is being discussed here.

Yea the team that won the super bowl had so much team chemistry

With their Traded for QB from Det.

Aaron Donald.

Odell Beckham

Jalen Ramsey

Vonn Miller.

Just the consummate team/rahrah locker room guys.
Reply/Quote
Reiff has too much injury history for teams to be salivating over him or the Bengals to overpay either.

Would like to get him back but only at a discount.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Who said anything about over paying? I think people are saying as far as the in house guys go Bates and CJ are the priority and a big reason for that is the REAL chemistry they bring to the team.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 09:56 AM)kevin Wrote: Other teams will be all over Reiff and Bates on Day One of Free Agency.  They will not be as easy to resign because of that.  Now if you are saying Uzomah is a Free Agent also, that is a problem.   The Bengals will have to use their one Franchise Tag wisely.  The Bengals do not have long to decide who they lock in for one more year with the Tag. 

I don't think the entire O Line is up for being replaced. Getting rid of all 5 starters on a Super Bowl O Line could just put Bengals back in Last Place.  Jonah Williams and others will be back.  They do need to Add some Better Blockers, but in no way would I suggest a complete elimination and rebuild after winning 3 Play-Off Games and AFC.   The First Bengal Draft Pick must be a BLOCKER, that should not even be up for debate. Burrow needs a lot more BLOCKING.  What Burrow did behind this Line, he really should have been NFL MVP. 

Not sure why you think this year will be different than last year for Reiff.

He wasn't a day one pick-up for the Bengals and had yet another season with injury leading to missing games. I could see Spain getting more interest then Reiff early on to be honest.

Bates would be the first one that has offers from other teams if he is left un-signed.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:22 AM)CincyDog Wrote: If they start making key contract offers based on fake 'Team Chemistry' they will never have the run they want to. 

That is something the old Bengals or Moron Reds would do 'Clubhouse guys' 'Crafty Vets'  'Team Familiarity' etc.  

Hopefully, we do not overpay for 3 games of playoff production 

Are you suggesting they throw out who stepped up in Big Games and got them to The Super Bowl ?

You aren't suggesting they blow this team up again and start all over, even after a Super Bowl ?

Here is where you and me will disagree. I would bring just about all of this team back. I say just about because some players will go free agent to other teams, and also some better Blockers need added so that Burrow isn't the most sacked QB in the NFL again. 

You mentioned the Reds. The Reds found out trading Tony Perez and breaking up a winning team was stupid.  Reds admit it was an awful mistake.  Bengals have a Super Bowl Team, and for example I want Uzomah back and not brining in old injured Gronk who has seen his better days, as some are talking.  Talk about a payroll expense, I can't see old man Gronk and that was Bradys guy as Chase is Burrows guy. 

It was 4 play-off games counting The Super Bowl, and you say it like it is nothing. I say it is something. Play-Off experience is HUGE. 

Team Chemistry is not Fake. Team Chemistry is not easy to achieve, which all the Bengals losing seasons proved. The timing these players have with each other on the playbook, I want just about All of this team back in 2022. 

Oh Yes, all we heard was the 31 years without a play-off win.  Now this team wins 3 play-off games and suddenly that is garbage also.  

Bring back as much of this Super Bowl team as they can bring back, but my word, get some Blocking in here. We didn't take Sewell but took Chase, that was a good move, but now we need to use the first pick on the Blocker we passed on last year to get Chase.  Burrow needs Mucho Blocking in free agency and draft. the Bengals have a Super Bowl Defense, but if they could get a Super Bowl O Line to go with it, Ay, Chihuahua !!!
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:00 PM)brian5562 Wrote: Who said anything about over paying? I think people are saying as far as the in house guys go Bates and CJ are the priority and a big reason for that is the REAL chemistry they bring to the team.

Bates literally admitted to letting his contract status keep him from being focused on football.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-safety-jessie-bates-contract-status-has-affected-play

He allowed a 122.0 QB Rating in his coverage this year and set career lows in INT, Pdef, and Tackles. He was amazing in the playoffs, but if you pay a guy based off a small playoff sample size and ignore the much larger reality, you'll regret it.

I think people are so reversed on this whole chemistry thing. Nobody was talking about the chemistry that Bates and Uzomah brought to the team when they went 12-35-1 the previous 3 years. Chemistry doesn't bring winning, winning brings chemistry, and good players bring winning.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote