Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
@ 7-9....we're now picking 12th....so....?
since we moved from 8th a fortnight ago to now 12th, b/c of our last 2 wins it's changed who we will now target....so instead of thinking who in the top 10 may still be there for us.....probably now think who in the slots from 10 to 25 do we want....
do we pick the 18th BP on most boards....OT Mike McGlinchey, ??  or do we just go BPA....& that could be the 10th BP on the board DE Clelin Ferrell from Clemson....
or one of the 3 DT who may be there...#11 Christian Wilkins whos also from Clemson....or #9 Vita Vea from Washington...or #12 Da'Ron Payne from Alabama...

or perhaps a LB Roquan Smith who's ranked at 16th on the big board....or maybe even trade down a few slots for OC Price....he's ranked around 24....

imo the #1 question is who's our OT's going to be next yr....I think right now Fisher won't be one of them....How about CED....?  i'd prefer they both sit....so if I were guessing now i'd say we'll pick the OT McGlinchey....
but it all comes down to how confident they are about our O-line....who's going to be playing LT & RT...
so many options.... 
I love the NFL draft....
& next year w/Ross being hopefully healthy/ready....be like a free 1st rd pick for us...
Reply/Quote
heard where some ppl are saying we'll pick OT Connor Williams from TEX....in rd #1...
I thought why....? when McGlinchey is ranked as the #1 OT in this draft....
I just checked out the OT's & on Walterfootball.com he's listed as the 10th best OT....
said one AFC North team who needs an OT said he grades out as a late 3rd rder or early 4th rder...

but I would love to get OC Billy Price in rd #2.....but I doubt he'll still be there for us....
Reply/Quote
The draft guides right now are in flux. Either Williams or McGlinchey are definite Day 1 picks.

My gut says this is the year we ignore BPA and draft for needs because the OL cost us the season (and arguably cost us last season too). We need to go Offensive Line in Rounds 1 and 2 and conceivably 3 as well. And in so doing we should be looking to colleges running pro style offenses that are known for linemen (like Wisconsin and Notre Dame and such).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 12:32 AM)Steve Wrote: since we moved from 8th a fortnight ago to now 12th, b/c of our last 2 wins it's changed who we will now target....so instead of thinking who in the top 10 may still be there for us.....probably now think who in the slots from 10 to 25 do we want....
do we pick the 18th BP on most boards....OT Mike McGlinchey, ??  or do we just go BPA....& that could be the 10th BP on the board DE Clelin Ferrell from Clemson....
or one of the 3 DT who may be there...#11 Christian Wilkins whos also from Clemson....or #9 Vita Vea from Washington...or #12 Da'Ron Payne from Alabama...

or perhaps a LB Roquan Smith who's ranked at 16th on the big board....or maybe even trade down a few slots for OC Price....he's ranked around 24....

imo the #1 question is who's our OT's going to be next yr....I think right now Fisher won't be one of them....How about CED....?  i'd prefer they both sit....so if I were guessing now i'd say we'll pick the OT McGlinchey....
but it all comes down to how confident they are about our O-line....who's going to be playing LT & RT...
so many options.... 
I love the NFL draft....
& next year w/Ross being hopefully healthy/ready....be like a free 1st rd pick for us...
Lots of options. If Derwin James falls he's the obvious pick. Yes we need oline but go oline rest of way. This year's draft guards that would normally go in the second will go in the late 4thbearly 5th. That's how insanely deep the interior oline is. James helps us out on very position in DEFENSE besides dt. If he's gone then id go raquan smith. If he's gone, then it's not popular but courtland Sutton. If they're all gone trade down a few spots and grab price.
(01-01-2018, 12:58 AM)Steve Wrote: heard where some ppl are saying we'll pick OT Connor Williams from TEX....in rd #1...
I thought why....? when McGlinchey is ranked as the #1 OT in this draft....
I just checked out the OT's & on Walterfootball.com he's listed as the 10th best OT....
said one AFC North team who needs an OT said he grades out as a late 3rd rder or early 4th rder...

but I would love to get OC Billy Price in rd #2.....but I doubt he'll still be there for us....
Mcglichey is a horrible ot. He's a day 3 talent imo. Better suited as a guard, but his body style can't play inside. That Williams article was written before he came back healthy and proved everyone wrong. I want Williams but as a guard. Think he'd be a many time all pro at guard. He'd still be a good tackle.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 07:43 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Lots of options. If Derwin James falls he's the obvious pick. Yes we need oline but go oline rest of way. This year's draft guards that would normally go in the second will go in the late 4thbearly 5th. That's how insanely deep the interior oline is.  James helps us out on very position in DEFENSE besides dt.  If he's gone then id go raquan smith. If he's gone, then it's not popular but courtland Sutton. If they're all gone trade down a few spots and grab price.
Mcglichey is a horrible ot. He's a day 3 talent imo. Better suited as a guard, but his body style can't play inside. That Williams article was written before he came back healthy and proved everyone wrong. I want Williams but as a guard. Think he'd be a many time all pro at guard. He'd still be a good tackle.

I agree there's a lot of options...
this is not a great OT group....but it's much better for the interior O-lineman...
I still want OG Nelson w/ our 1st pick...just doubt he'll be there at 12....
b/c he is the #1 O-lineman in this draft...
pro bowl quality....
he would be a ROCK to anchor our line for the next 6 years....

I feel if he's gone maybe we should pick a LB, DT, or S in rd one.....
if we "have to" go OT pick one in rd #2....
in rd #1 I want a stud.....not just an ok starter...
or if OC Price is there in rd #2 pick him & let Bodine go....
I don't want us to pick an OT just b/c we need one....if the qualitys not there....don't pick one...
I doubt if S James will be there at # 12...
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:19 AM)Joelist Wrote: The draft guides right now are in flux. Either Williams or McGlinchey are definite Day 1 picks.

My gut says this is the year we ignore BPA and draft for needs because the OL cost us the season (and arguably cost us last season too). We need to go Offensive Line in Rounds 1 and 2 and conceivably 3 as well. And in so doing we should be looking to colleges running pro style offenses that are known for linemen (like Wisconsin and Notre Dame and such).

strange how our O-line sucked so bad early in the yr....
but the past few games they've done a pretty good job...so maybe our war room won't go OT in rd 1 if they feel a different position group player gives them more BANG for their buck....

as in a S, LB or DT....

I would LOVE OG Nelson in rd #1 & OC Price in rd #2.....
but I doubt we'll get a shot at either of them...
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 10:54 AM)Steve Wrote: I agree there's a lot of options...
this is not a great OT group....but it's much better for the interior O-lineman...
pro bowl quality....

I don't want us to pick an OT just b/c we need one....if the qualitys not there....don't pick one...
Well agree to disagree on Nelson. And I think James goes right in that area. Also raquan smith or Josh Jackson an option.
Reply/Quote
We better pick O Linemen that are NFL ready, cause Paul Alexander sure isn't going to coach em up.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 10:36 PM)whodey1967 Wrote: We better pick O Linemen that are NFL ready, cause Paul Alexander sure isn't going to coach em up.

I don't blame P.A. for not being able to "coach up" Ced & Fisher....
they're both so weak.....they just get shoved backwards too much...
they can't be fixed.....
I don't blame Alexander for this...
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:31 PM)Steve Wrote: I don't blame P.A. for not being able to "coach up" Ced & Fisher....
they can't be fixed.....
They sure could use some strengthening, but their tecnique and footwork was terrible. Ced did start to get a little better but a long way to go.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:31 PM)Steve Wrote: I don't blame P.A. for not being able to "coach up" Ced & Fisher....
they can't be fixed.....

Except for them being his hand picked boys.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Didn't Alexander "stand up on a table" for Ogbuehi back when they drafted him? And he literally had a "Leave Britney alone" moment for Bodine, who's been nothing but trash ever since.

These offensive linemen aren't getting better under Alexander. And if they are getting better, it isn't nearly fast enough considering the high turnover rate at this position. By the time they develop into a half-decent starter, it's too late. Contract's up. We aren't paying you. Bye bye.

We don't have the luxury of depth to draft guys who we can sit for 3-4 years to develop. We need guys that can be coached up now, and plugged in now. Alexander has not be able to get it done.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Part of me is glad the Bengals aren't picking in the top 10 now, which may sound really odd to some (most?).

Here's my reasoning:
Picking in the top 10 causes many to think that the player selected must be a slam dunk elite player in every facet but someone picked after 10 is given more leeway to have some flaws. The reality is they could just be a few picks apart yet. There just happens to be this fascination with the number 10 and anything before it. There may have been some truth 5+ years ago where there was a clear talent differential between a top 10 prospect and those after, but at least when looking at last year's draft there were only about 5-6 prospects I considered truly elite with very little to no question marks. I feel the same with this upcoming draft class.
Also, by picking outside the top 10, more fans (and maybe even the coaches) will open up to the idea of selected an OT, G, or C. If picking in the top 10, I recall many saying "there's no OT worth a top 10 pick" or "Bengals will never select interior OL inside the top 10." Well guess what, not picking top 10 anymore, so these options should now be on the table.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It really doesn't matter what draft position a team picks as long as they pick wisely, something that is really tough especially for teams in dead last place year after year. They have to try to knock everything out of the park and seldom do it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 10:54 AM)Steve Wrote: I agree there's a lot of options...
pro bowl quality....

Winning those pointless last two games rewarded Bengals fans with:
- two more years of Marvin
- virtually no shot at Quentin Nelson and/or Roquan Smith
- a far worse second round pick which puts the team far behind anyone who trades up to nab their guy at the front end of the second. If a guy like Billy Price falls to the second the Bengals stand a far greater chance of getting jumped by someone who covets him.

From an organizational standpoint, winning the last two games was a major blow. Get ready for several Hobspin puff pieces touting the greatness of Westerman, Redmond, Bodine, and Boling at LT.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote