Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 AFC Teams versus 6 for Playoffs
(05-18-2020, 05:57 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I think it can happen. Plenty of reason to be optimistic. I think playoffs will boil down to 2 things largely:

1) How does the o-line perform? Can they give Burrow time and can they give Mixon running lanes without having defenders behind the LOS all the time?

2) How will this young LB core perform (excluding Bynes). I don’t know how the LB position translates from college to NFL. I hope they play fast and can diagnose plays.

If the above 2 units play well i think 10-6 will happen. If they play poorly then they go 5-11 or 4-12.

In response to #2, I feel LB is a very instinctive position. Obviously they have to know their assignment based on the offenses pre-snap alignment but once the ball is snapped for a good/great LB instinct takes over. When a guy thinks too much at LB plays are missed. Of course occasionally rookie backers will get sucked in on misdirection plays but the really good ones learn from those plays and their ability to read the entire play improves. Let's hope we got at least 2 keepers from the draft.

On offense I've always felt RB was the equivalent to LB play. Know where you're going and let your talent take over from there. 
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 09:04 PM)Mer Wrote: In response to #2, I feel LB is a very instinctive position. Obviously they have to know their assignment based on the offenses pre-snap alignment but once the ball is snapped for a good/great LB instinct takes over. When a guy thinks too much at LB plays are missed. Of course occasionally rookie backers will get sucked in on misdirection plays but the really good ones learn from those plays and their ability to read the entire play improves. Let's hope we got at least 2 keepers from the draft.

On offense I've always felt RB was the equivalent to LB play. Know where you're going and let your talent take over from there. 

I think Pratt showed enough last season that we can feel pretty good about him. Would be thrilled if 2 of the 3 drafted pan out. If if weren’t for injuries I like the film of the kid from Purdue the most.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 09:13 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I think Pratt showed enough last season that we can feel pretty good about him. Would be thrilled if 2 of the 3 drafted pan out. If if weren’t for injuries I like the film of the kid from Purdue the most.

Unfortunately I really don't watch much college football, so for the most part unless the player is nationally known, like Burrow, I usually know nothing about them. I did make it a point to try to watch Borrow after I was pretty sure we'd take him in the draft. I had my fears when I watched that he wouldn't live up to the hype but after the national championship game I'd have to say I was very impressed. I'm not trying to stir anything up so I hope no one gets offended but I always thought of college football like Minor League baseball. The best players are trying to make it to the "Show" and personally I'd rather watch the "Show" than the warm up. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 09:04 PM)Mer Wrote: In response to #2, I feel LB is a very instinctive position. Obviously they have to know their assignment based on the offenses pre-snap alignment but once the ball is snapped for a good/great LB instinct takes over. When a guy thinks too much at LB plays are missed. Of course occasionally rookie backers will get sucked in on misdirection plays but the really good ones learn from those plays and their ability to read the entire play improves. Let's hope we got at least 2 keepers from the draft.

I totally agree with instincts. Instincts can make not the most athletic LB a really good football player.  I do think the 3 backers we drafted are good athletes and have that instinct. I can't wait to see the D this season!
Reply/Quote
I don't think the Bengals make the playoffs this year but I do think we will see a greatly improved team, for sure.

I don't like the 7 team playoffs though unless the league is giving 3 first round byes. If the division winner with the best regular season record is the only team to get a bye, then that team has a huge advantage over the other teams.

I don't know the rule, so set me straight.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
It will come down to health and Burrow. In the league year in and year out teams that stay healthy are typically your teams the maje playoffs. If we stay healthy then it comes down to is our QB the franchise QB we expect him to be.. we have upgraded on defense and have the tools are offense to compete.. Burrow is the big question mark coming into the season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 08:32 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It will come down to health and Burrow. In the league year in and year out teams that stay healthy are typically your teams the maje playoffs. If we stay healthy then it comes down to is our QB the franchise QB we expect him to be.. we have upgraded on defense and have the tools are offense to compete.. Burrow is the big question mark coming into the season.

I agree Burrow and I think Jonah Williams are the two biggest question marks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The last rookie QB to make the playoffs was Lamar, then before that Russell Wilson right? Plus, we'd need the Browns or Steelers to not be very good for us to have a shot at making it. Any team has a chance, but I think we're a year or so away from being in serious consideration for making the PO. Hopefully they surprise and JB lights it up, but as other have said I think the line, coaching staff, and LBs are huge question marks we'd need get alot better at before I can have a lot of confidence in that regard.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 10:22 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The last rookie QB to make the playoffs was Lamar, then before that Russell Wilson right? Plus, we'd need the Browns or Steelers to not be very good for us to have a shot at making it. Any team has a chance, but I think we're a year or so away from being in serious consideration for making the PO. Hopefully they surprise and JB lights it up, but as other have said I think the line, coaching staff, and LBs are huge question marks we'd need get alot better at before I can have a lot of confidence in that regard.

Dak made the playoffs his rookie season.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree Burrow and I think Jonah Williams are the two biggest question marks.

good point on Williams... both are expected to be top tier players at their position and we have not seen either play in the NFL... in a way this is like 2011 of impact rookies.. Green and Dalton.. This year it is Burrow and Williams.. they will need to work well together for us to be successful
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dak made the playoffs his rookie season.

Good catch, you right. so 2012, 2016, and 2018...2020 Cool

I know this has been beaten to death, but Russel had a better team starting out, Dak did to, and so did Lamar. Andy & Marvin in 2011 is more applicable scenario with coming off a 4 win team, and JB should be better than AD. Just saying it's a bit of a stretch. Not impossible by any means though.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 12:49 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Good catch, you right. so 2012, 2016, and 2018...2020 Cool

I know this has been beaten to death, but Russel had a better team starting out, Dak did to, and so did Lamar. Andy & Marvin in 2011 is more applicable scenario with coming off a 4 win team, and JB should be better than AD. Just saying it's a bit of a stretch. Not impossible by any means though.

Cowboys had the same amount of wins in 2015 as Bengals did in 2010 (4).. so they were struggling.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 08:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hey, I'm sure AJ still counts it. LOL

If not, you can be sure his agent does at the negotiating table.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 12:49 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Good catch, you right. so 2012, 2016, and 2018...2020 Cool

You're leaving Andrew Luck and RG3 outta that rookie QBs to make the playoffs mix. They did it the same year Wilson did.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 05:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The new rules will help the Steelers and Cowboys get to the playoffs as intended. It’s a shame honestly.

Agree 100%.  And they didn't even try to hide the fact that it was the intention behind the rule change.  It wasn't on the NFL's radar until the article came out that Puttsburgh would have been in the last couple of seasons.

(05-19-2020, 12:44 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't like the 7 team playoffs though unless the league is giving 3 first round byes. If the division winner with the best regular season record is the only team to get a bye, then that team has a huge advantage over the other teams.

I don't know the rule, so set me straight.

My understanding is that only the top team in each conference will get a bye week.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Agree 100%.  And they didn't even try to hide the fact that it was the intention behind the rule change.  It wasn't on the NFL's radar until the article came out that Puttsburgh would have been in the last couple of seasons.

My understanding is that only the top team in each conference will get a bye week.

Yes, only 1 team gets a bye making the overall record and #1 seed in each division an even bigger deal. I think the #1 seed should get an advantage over everyone else so have no issues with the change and #2 seed has to play week #1 with 5 other teams.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote