Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 AFC Teams versus 6 for Playoffs
I know we won 2 games in 2019. I also know we lost 2 starting OT's in Glenn and Williams, our all pro WR for the year and a host of injuries in 2019.

In my opinion, we have had the best off season we have had maybe ever. Our FA was aggressive. We had the top pick and top pick every round and on paper looks like we had a very good draft. Injured Green and Williams will be back.

I think we have a shot at the playoffs especially since likely 9-7 team gets in since they added a spot and maybe 8-8 team.

Am I crazy to think it is possible to go from 2 win team to playoffs in one year?

Many think 3 teams are coming from the AFCN, I think we may surprise the media and some of our own fans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The new rules will help the Steelers and Cowboys get to the playoffs as intended. It’s a shame honestly.
Reply/Quote
I think it can happen. Plenty of reason to be optimistic. I think playoffs will boil down to 2 things largely:

1) How does the o-line perform? Can they give Burrow time and can they give Mixon running lanes without having defenders behind the LOS all the time?

2) How will this young LB core perform (excluding Bynes). I don’t know how the LB position translates from college to NFL. I hope they play fast and can diagnose plays.

If the above 2 units play well i think 10-6 will happen. If they play poorly then they go 5-11 or 4-12.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 05:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know we won 2 games in 2019. I also know we lost 2 starting OT's in Glenn and Williams, our all pro WR for the year and a host of injuries in 2019.

In my opinion, we have had the best off season we have had maybe ever. Our FA was aggressive. We had the top pick and top pick every round and on paper looks like we had a very good draft. Injured Green and Williams will be back.

I think we have a shot at the playoffs especially since likely 9-7 team gets in since they added a spot and maybe 8-8 team.

Am I crazy to think it is possible to go from 2 win team to playoffs in one year?

Many think 3 teams are coming from the AFCN, I think we may surprise the media and some of our own fans.

You’re confusing All Pro and Pro Bowler again. AJ has never been All Pro.

Reply/Quote
Not that this matters, but I had a dream last night about the Bengals beating the ravens the last game of the season to get to 10-6 and making the playoffs. Didn't see or maybe just dont remember a score but the ravens ended up 9-7 and out of the playoffs.

It was odd because I never dream about sports. Heres to hoping my dream was showing me the future.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 06:03 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Not that this matters, but I had a dream last night about the Bengals beating the ravens the last game of the season to get to 10-6 and making the playoffs. Didn't see or maybe just dont remember a score but the ravens ended up 9-7 and out of the playoffs.  

It was odd because I never dream about sports. Heres to hoping my dream was showing me the future.

I had a dream we used the 1st overall pick of the 2020 draft to select Gargamel.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 06:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I had a dream we used the 1st overall pick of the 2020 draft to select Gargamel.
Gargamel is from the smurfs right? Never watched it but that name sounds familiar.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 06:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I had a dream we used the 1st overall pick of the 2020 draft to select Gargamel.

Woah woah woah, you’re telling me we passed on Smurfette? That’s a nightmare scenario...
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 06:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re confusing All Pro and Pro Bowler again. AJ has never been All Pro.

OK, TY for clarification.

So for the record you think AJ is lousy since he is just a pro bowler.

We got it, you are the expert in the forum all great players.  Hilarious   Hilarious   Hilarious
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 06:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: OK, TY for clarification.

So for teh record you think AJ is lousy since he is just a pro bowler.

We got it, you are the expert in the forum all great players.  Hilarious   Hilarious   Hilarious

[Image: source.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 05:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know we won 2 games in 2019. I also know we lost 2 starting OT's in Glenn and Williams, our all pro WR for the year and a host of injuries in 2019.

People that have watched this team underachieve for four straight years have built up some serious skepticism to the home team.  They earned it.  However, I look at last year's team and I think:  "How did they ever win two"? 

It was the perfect storm personnel-wise with injuries to key players, schemes were failing to match up with the personnel, and we had a rookie coach.  

What I did see down the stretch was a team that improved significantly in their blocking, the defense improved, and the team never stopped playing hard.

Heading in to this year, they hand the reigns to Joe Burrow.  He is the first truly mobile QB the Bengals have had since Jeff Blake.  (Akili Smith doesn't count...).   He has excellent vision and he isn't afraid to tell the coaching staff what he likes and how he is most adept.  He is coming off the most impressive season in NCAA football history, and he did it in the SEC and in the playoffs against Oklahoma and Clemson.  Destroyed them. 

The personnel, assuming they are healthy, is significantly better and deeper than a year ago, thanks to both an outstanding FA period and what looks to be a solid draft.  

The Bengals have the same record as anyone else right now, and their leader will not lack for confidence.  If the young talent on the defense gels quickly this team could be scary.  I think they make the playoffs if Ross and Green are healthy all year.  If they have a good defense to go with it....well, anything can happen.  
Reply/Quote
Worst case scenario, if the NFLseason gets desperate what about a round robin division playoff with double elimination. Seeds would be determined by the 2019 records (ex. Bengals would play Ravens and Steelers vs. Browns in first round). Winners of each division advance to to single elimination playoff. This will condense the road to the Super Bowl to about 5-7 games. The season would only be a couple of months and could be played easily from November to January. Actually, it might be fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 05:57 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I think it can happen. Plenty of reason to be optimistic. I think playoffs will boil down to 2 things largely:

1) How does the o-line perform? Can they give Burrow time and can they give Mixon running lanes without having defenders behind the LOS all the time?

2) How will this young LB core perform (excluding Bynes). I don’t know how the LB position translates from college to NFL. I hope they play fast and can diagnose plays.

If the above 2 units play well i think 10-6 will happen. If they play poorly then they go 5-11 or 4-12.

I agree with #1, but I think coaching is a way bigger concern than the LBs. I hope that our playcalling and general coaching gets much better this year. LB is definitely #3 on my list though.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 06:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re confusing All Pro and Pro Bowler again. AJ has never been All Pro.

True that he's never been first team, but he was 2nd team All-Pro in 2012 and 2013.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 08:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: True that he's never been first team, but he was 2nd team All-Pro in 2012 and 2013.

Right, but 1st team All Pro is the highest honor a player can get. So there’s a pretty significant difference. You’re basically the absolute best at your position. 2nd team is better than say a Pro Bowl fill-in appearance though.

Reply/Quote
The Chiefs and Ravens have to be heavy favorites to not only make the POs but win their divisions. I do not think anyone else is a PO lock.

Lets look at other PO contenders:

3. AFC South = Tennessee. 9-7 but 2 quarters from the Super Bowl. Houston won this division last year but had a rough off-season (losing Hopkins & Reader). They'll still be decent, as will the Colts with Rivers, but I give the Titans the edge. Jags are awful.

4. AFC East = Buffalo. NE won it last year but lost Brady & a big chunk of their D. Bills made the POs and I think they prevail. Jets and Fins stink.

Three WC spots. Pittsburgh adds Big Ben to their elite D. If he has anything left, I think Pitt is a WC.

Down to two. I am not sold on Mayfield, but the Browns upgraded & get Garrett back. They should be in the mix with NE, Houston, and Indy.

I do not think a non-KC team makes it from the West, though no one is awful. Chargers could be close.

So if we are gonna make an improbable PO run, I see Cleveland, NE, Houston, and Indy fighting with us for 2 spots.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 08:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, but 1st team All Pro is the highest honor a player can get. So there’s a pretty significant difference. You’re basically the absolute best at your position. 2nd team is better than say a Pro Bowl fill-in appearance though.

Yeah, first team has eluded him. I'm just saying 2 times on the second team (which still puts you among the very best that season) isn't too shabby either. 

2015? I don't see him on the AP's second team that season.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 08:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, first team has eluded him. I'm just saying 2 times on the second team (which still puts you among the very best that season) isn't too shabby either. 

Wasn’t it actually 3x? I thought he was 2nd team in 2015, too?

Reply/Quote
Just checked, it was PFF, not the AP that voted him 2nd team in 2015. AP in 12 & 13 like you said.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 08:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Just checked, it was PFF, not the AP that voted him 2nd team in 2015. AP in 12 & 13 like you said.

Hey, I'm sure AJ still counts it. LOL
Reply/Quote