Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
700WLW/1530 RANT (Bengals Coverage Related)
I believe the Buckeyes rank ahead of the Bengals here in Dayton, too. Bengals are #3 in this broadcast area.

Anyway, I agree with the premise but do not grudge it likewise. WLW is an old-school way to go, ergo the listener must be old school and must therefore expect Ye Olde Zinzinnati Redstockings. C'mon, let 'em have each other. They've been together longer. Let's not wreck the Reds' home.

I can binge on Bengals football and often do. There's enough information to be immersed.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I might check that out.  Is that on 1360?  Time?

OT Jim Rome had the worst national show of all time.  I never had any clue what he was talking about.  "Spicy Dave from the Big Easy calling in, as always Sassy Mollassy and a hot take.  Don't hate.  Rack it."

It's 3:00-6:00 eastern on 1360. It's not always the most on topic or serious show, but I find it entertaining usually. Might not be your cup of tea, but hopefully you'll like it!
Reply/Quote
I don't live in Cincinnati, but in Columbus. I love both the Reds and the Bengals. However, I'll tell you for sure that around here, many of the Reds fans are A) Browns fans, B) Steelers fans, C) bandwagon NFL fans of another team or D) don't care about the NFL.

Lets face it. We're not talking about a region where these teams are united or tied together. It's actually very segregated. Maybe this doesn't factor into it, who knows, because I'd love to get more Bengals coverage.
Reply/Quote
You hit it on the head when you said monetary interest. The station makes more money promoting the Reds. That, and historically 700's coverage area, which is vast, is much more interested in Reds baseball than UC or Bengals football.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:56 PM)jason Wrote: Chick Ludwhatever is horrible when he fills in too.  He hurts my ears.

Yeah, he sucks, too.  He sounds like a 50-year-old that never grew past his frat house OSU days.  Who the hell calls himself "The Chickster"?  

On the positive side, I really like Ken Broo.  He's like the venerable sports guy that retains his dignity among the clowns.His classic rock interludes are actually pretty cool and informative as well.  Ken is also fairly even-handed when dealing with the local teams.  He's not brutally tough on them, but doesn't hesitate to criticize when necessary.  I really enjoy listening to him on weekends.  
Reply/Quote
FYI, tuned into today after writing this and Mo was on at noon. Any guesses on what he was talking about? I just looked at the programming schedule to see if maybe it was just a pregame, here's what I pulled directly from their site:
-------------------------

12-5AM AMERICAS TRUCKIN NETWORK
Hosted by Tom Bigbee
5-9A PAID PROGRAMMING

9-12P SUNDAY MORNING SPORTS TALK
Byran Price sounds like he's gone after this season. Why would Barry Larkin be interested in managing this mess? 9:06
12-1P SPORTS TALK WITH MO EGGER
Wouldn't hiring Barry Larkin be the right thing to do? Plus, a recap of the Bengals/Bears......and isn't there something creepy about Tommy Tuberville's plan to "fine players"
1-5:30P REDS VS BREWERS
Mo has the Inside Pitch, Marty and Jeff have the first pitch at 2:10.
5:30-7P EXTRA INNINGS WITH CHICK LUDWIG
Chick takes your calls after the game on Extra Innings.

7-8:30P SUNDAY SUPPLEMENT
Hosted by Seg
8:30-9P SUNDAY SUPPLEMENT
Hosted by Brandi Srader
9-MID LIVE WITH BILL CUNNINGHAM
At 10:06, your Willie addresses the Nation on all the issues.

Read more: http://www.700wlw.com/articles/700wlw-programming-233227/sunday-august-30-12221256/#ixzz3kKTFRR00
---------------
9AM to 7PM, almost nothing but Reds. 10 hours of Reds coverage. At the end of August, with the team 30 games back and in dead last. The day after week 3 of the NFL preseason. The week college football kicks off.

I guess that pre game and extra innings isn't quite enough. Nor is the 4 hour game. Might as well cram in a morning of it to just to be safe. Sick
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:02 PM)samhain Wrote: On the positive side, I really like Ken Broo.  He's like the venerable sports guy that retains his dignity among the clowns.His classic rock interludes are actually pretty cool and informative as well.  Ken is also fairly even-handed when dealing with the local teams.  He's not brutally tough on them, but doesn't hesitate to criticize when necessary.  I really enjoy listening to him on weekends.  
Ken Broo may be my favorite guy on radio.  He too talks way too much Reds but I think he's very even keeled and tries his best to entertain all sides of a conversation.  Love his music facts and tidbits.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:57 PM)thegimp Wrote: You hit it on the head when you said monetary interest.  The station makes more money promoting the Reds.  That, and historically 700's coverage area, which is vast, is much more interested in Reds baseball than UC or Bengals football.

I get that.  And I get that Reds talk will always dwarf everything else.  I get that there is too many schools around here for them to spend a ton of time on a particular program.  But what I don't get is getting 3 hours of Reds talk in September, when the games are meaningless, the the week of the NFL season opening.  I don't get Lance still managing to find an hour a night in January to talk anything about baseball, when there is so much else going on.  I don't get the Reds having a dedicated pre-game and post-game, and still spending the majority of your time on Sports talk on it.  Overkill is putting it mildly.
Reply/Quote
Back when I lived in Ohio, 55KRC was the home of best Bengals coverage.  Has that changed?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ok, I'm not sure where to start out here.  I guess first let me say that if you're not local you may want to ignore this, as it probably won't interest you in the least.  Let me preface this rant by also saying that I understand this thread could probably be in a number of other places, but since it will get the most talk here and it is related to the Bengals I'm putting it here.

Ok, so.... Am I the only one is absolutely amazed by the amount of coverage and time that is given to the Reds by these two stations?  It's honestly unbelievable how much these stations devote to one team.  Yes, I understand that they have a monetary interest.  Yes, I understand that baseball season is long and that they're a lot of games.  I get all that.  But for anyone that flips around the AM dial I think you'll find that an obscene amount of time is spent on the Reds.

Let's start with just the length of the season and games.  That's built in coverage.  You've got the end of March, April, May, June, July, August, Sept, and sometimes October.  Just about 8 full months of baseball games.  Usually 5 or 6 times a week.  Obviously 162 games.  Oh, and don't forget Spring Training, they got those covered too.  Just in the game coverage that is a LOT of time for baseball fans to get their fix.

Now, let's talk scheduling.  You're going to get Lance McAllister from 3-6 on game days.  That's going to be 90% Reds talk, no matter the time of year or the place their in.  Then you're going to get the pre-game from 6-7.  Then you got the game from 7-10:30-ish.  Oh, and then you got Extra Innings too.  So basically, as far as sports coverage on game day, which 5 or 6 days a week, you getting pretty much all Reds, from 3 to midnight.

9 hours of Reds, 5 or 6 days a week, for 8 months, for a total of 162 days.  Now, I know these numbers aren't close to exact, but if you were to total that it would 1,458 hours of Reds related programming during the season.  For prespective, to be considered eligible for benefits in many job you need to work 1,000 hours.  To listen to all the Reds discussion it would be like a full time job.

(I hope some people are still following me here cuz I'm just rambling but I will eventually get to a larger point.)

Oh, and did I mention that Eddy and Tracy talk a decent amount about the Reds?  Did I mention there's a Dat Dude BP report?  Did I mention that Eddie are Marty have a regular segment?  Did I mention that even Ken Broo's weekened afternoon shows are dominated by Reds talk, even though they're on later that night?

Reds, Reds, Reds, Reds, Reds.  When they suck, Reds.  When the games are meaningless, Reds.  Aroldis Chapman starter talk for the 1,454 time?  Yes, please.  Pitchers and Catchers reporting?  Let's talk Reds in the winter.  Winter meetings?  Lets talk Reds in during football.

Baseball has a LOT of downtime during the games.  A shit ton.  There is ample opportunity between innings, pitches, the 3rd pitching change in 2 innings for a situational, to discuss on things Reds.  You got that almost everyday.  You got pre-game, got Extra innings, you got this for 8 ***** months.  So much Reds coverage built into the schedule.  So why do the talk shows surrounding the shit sandwhich of Reds coverage we're offered up still need to be dominated by more Reds talk?

UC has a darkhorse Heisman candidate, how much time is spent on Gunner Kiel?  UC has a good chance of being ranked, but little to no discussion.  Stadium upgrades, conference alignment, Mick Cronin's health, UC-Xavier back on campus, O$U football, the fact that Cincinnati has some of the best high school football in the country, local athletes, UK basketball, the state of recruiting.... The list goes on and on.  None of gets any significant coverage.

Now to the Bengals.  The Reds suck this year.  You've spent all this time on them.  Now that football is here why the hell is at least a 50-50 split on talk radio?  I turned on Broo yesterday, and guess what?  Reds talk.  I remember a few years ago I turned on Lance the Friday before opening weekend in the NFL.  I figured it would be nothing but NFL talk.  Nope, he talked Reds, even though they had the Wildcard locked up and they were waiting for the regular season to end.

I'm sorry, but it drives me nuts.  Even huge Reds fan can't want to hear Reds talk for 3 hours at this point. Right?  For the love of God, please start giving more attention to the NFL, which crushed MLB in ratings, and start devoting more time to college teams!!!  PLEASE!!!!

If I hear Lance, or Mo, or Broo, or whoever, open up another show talking about the Reds I may just drive into oncoming traffic!!!!  Make it stop!!!!  For someone who loves sports, I immediately turn off your programming because it sucks!!!  

Rant over....  Whew, I feel better.  Sorry, about the wall of words.
Are you talking about the Reds?
The World champion Reds?
That team with all the guys in Cooperstown?
The oldest and first professional baseball team?
That team that is been around nearly as long as Cincinnati itself?
The club that is beloved by this city and every baseball fan in a three hundred mile radius?

Yeah, I wonder why they talk about the Reds so much?
Reply/Quote
I wish this was posted yesterday,

On Lance McCalister's birthday.
Reply/Quote
As someone who listens to national sports radio shows on my way to work each morning, I'm shocked at the overcoverage the NFL gets.
Its the NFL all year long.
I get it. The NFL's darn popular.
but C'MON MAN !!!!!

You would never know college basketball exists. The NBA, too a lesser degree ignored, but ignored just the same.  
The NFL dictates nearly 90% of every conversation, everyday.

You have the regualr season......... and once a Superbowl Champ is crowned, they talk about that for three weeks.
Which slides you into free agency / followed by contract talks / taking you to "how one of the Mannings suck" followed by "I cant believe they don't fire that son of a *****".....

ENOUGH !!!!!

Its usually at this time that some NFL players get charged for rape, drugs, slapping a ***** ,drowning a dog, etc. etc. etc, or all of the above.
Thats followed by several weeks discussing inappropriate actions from the next generation of NFL players.
Those in the draft.

The draft itself takes a good three/ four  weeks.
Followed by three weeks talking about the results of said draft.
And don't get me started on fantasy football talk.

In the mean time the NCAA has crowned a champion in basketball.
MLB is in full swing.
NHL.
Golf is being played.
The final spots in the NBA are being filled.

AND WE MISSED IT ALL....

Its easier to watch a sport for five months and talk about it for twelve, rather than keeping abreast of the sporting world and the stories involved.
That would require hard work and professionalism.
Reply/Quote
I stopped listening to AM a few years back. I used to like "The Angry Guys" but Lance has always been boring and I agree - WAY too much Reds talk.

@McC: How did Seg get his name? I always assumed it was short for segway.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 09:17 PM)tman Wrote: Are you talking about the Reds?
The World champion Reds?
That team with all the guys in Cooperstown?
The oldest and first professional baseball team?
That team that is been around nearly as long as Cincinnati itself?
The club that is beloved by this city and every baseball fan in a three hundred mile radius?

Yeah, I wonder why they talk about the Reds so much?

Then name it Reds Talk instead of Sports Talk.  When a team already has a built in 6 hours of coverage a day (pre-game, game, postgame) it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect some coverage for other sports leading into that block.  Again, it's SPORTS talk. You can even talk more stupid ***** Reds and beat that dead horse some more, just sprinkle other sports this time of year.

If you don't think 10 straight hours of Reds coverage on Sunday in late August, when the team is 30 games back, is overkill then I'm not sure how you would define the word.

No one is expecting it to go away.  Have the game, have the pre-game, have the post game, heck you can have of the morning too.  That would give them 8 hours of coverage today.  All I'm asking for is to maybe throw in some more football talk.  You know, the NUMBER 1 VIEWED SPORT AND MONEY MAKING LEAGUE IN THIS COUNTRY.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I stopped listening to AM a few years back. I used to like "The Angry Guys" but Lance has always been boring and I agree - WAY too much Reds talk.

@McC: How did Seg get his name? I always assumed it was short for segway.

I once heard them say in an indirect way that SEG is an acronym for Shit Eating Grin.  
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then name it Reds Talk instead of Sports Talk.  When a team already has a built in 6 hours of coverage a day (pre-game, game, postgame) it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect some coverage for other sports leading into that block.  Again, it's SPORTS talk.  You can even talk more stupid ***** Reds and beat that dead horse some more, just sprinkle other sports this time of year.

If you don't think 10 straight hours of Reds coverage on Sunday in late August, when the team is 30 games back, is overkill then I'm not sure how you would define the word.

No one is expecting it to go away.  Have the game, have the pre-game, have the post game, heck you can have of the morning too.  That would give them 8 hours of coverage today.  All I'm asking for is to maybe throw in some more football talk.  You know, the NUMBER 1 VIEWED SPORT AND MONEY MAKING LEAGUE IN THIS COUNTRY.

I think you fail to understand the Reds standing in the heart of this city and surrounding areas.
The Reds are beloved...

The surge in popularity of the NFL is not going to change that.

I love the Bengals.
But the Bengals aren't the Redlegs.
They're not, nor will they ever be as sacred as the Reds.
Just accept it.
The Reds, their fans and the Reds network stretch through Ohio into West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana and parts of Virginia and Tennessee.

Plus
The Reds as an orgaization is loved.
People feel this is a club worth supporting.
They've done and given so much to this community for well over One Hundred and Forty years....
Its not just that they give us half price tickets on Sundays (they do).
Or one dollar hot dogs and cola's (they do).
Its not that they brought us the All Star game and the World Series.
They have a long long history of making Cincinnati a better place.
AND THEY'VE GIVEN THE PEOPLE MULTIPLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS....

They've never sold five dollar tap water.
They've never threatened to leave.
They didn't bankrupt the county.
They've done their part to see that this community see's the best the sport can offer as opposed to some other club who spent way too many years with their head in the sand, counting money, complaining about the cost of gatorade and running the organization like its 1968.
All the while producing No championships and ONE Hall of Famer in the history of the franchise...

Still confused?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:04 PM)tman Wrote: As someone who listens to national sports radio shows on my way to work each morning, I'm shocked at the overcoverage the NFL gets.
Its the NFL all year long.
I get it. The NFL's darn popular.
but C'MON MAN !!!!!

You would never know college basketball exists. The NBA, too a lesser degree ignored, but ignored just the same.  
The NFL dictates nearly 90% of every conversation, everyday.

You have the regualr season......... and once a Superbowl Champ is crowned, they talk about that for three weeks.
Which slides you into free agency / followed by contract talks / taking you to "how one of the Mannings suck" followed by "I cant believe they don't fire that son of a *****".....

ENOUGH !!!!!

Its usually at this time that some NFL players get charged for rape, drugs, slapping a ***** ,drowning a dog, etc. etc. etc, or all of the above.
Thats followed by several weeks discussing inappropriate actions from the next generation of NFL players.
Those in the draft.

The draft itself takes a good three/ four  weeks.
Followed by three weeks talking about the results of said draft.
And don't get me started on fantasy football talk.

In the mean time the NCAA has crowned a champion in basketball.
MLB is in full swing.
NHL.
Golf is being played.
The final spots in the NBA are being filled.

AND WE MISSED IT ALL....

Its easier to watch a sport for five months and talk about it for twelve, rather than keeping abreast of the sporting world and the stories involved.
That would require hard work and professionalism.

I'll give ya that on ESPN and and Fox Sports, but not so much on local radio.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Haha yeah its ridicoulous. Whenever Mo starts on a Reds topic, I turn the channel cause he will bore me  2 minutes into a 20 minute chat about something trivial. I almost wish I could be a baseball fan again with how much they talk about it.

My sentiments exactly! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:19 PM)tman Wrote: I think you fail to understand the Reds standing in the heart of this city and surrounding areas.

The surge in popularity of the NFL is not going to change that.

I love the Bengals.
But the Bengals aren't the Redlegs.
They're not, nor will they ever be as sacred as the Reds.
Just accept it.
The Reds, their fans and the Reds network stretch through Ohio into West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana and parts of Virginia and Tennessee.

Plus
The Reds as an orgaization is loved.
People feel this is a club worth supporting.
They've done and given so much to this community for well over One Hundred and Forty years....
Its not just that they give us half price tickets on Sundays (they do).
Or one dollar hot dogs and cola's (they do).
They have a long long history of making Cincinnati a better place.
AND THEY'VE GIVEN THE PEOPLE MULTIPLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS....

They've never sold five dollar tap water.
They've never threatened to leave.
They didn't bankrupt the county.
They've done their part to see that this community see's the best the sport can offer as opposed to some other club who spent way too many years with their head in the sand, counting money, complaining about the cost of gatorade and running the orgaization like its 1968.

All the while while producing No champioships and ONE hall of Famer in the history of the franchise...

Still confused?
Confused?  I think that would better describe yourself.  Bringing up negatives about the Bengals to me, of all freaking people, is like preaching to a group of 14 years the importance of text messaging.  I'm more than well aware of much of what you said.

No one is asking for equal coverage.  Not even close.  We're talking about the Reds taking up 10 ***** hours in a row today, when they're 30 ***** games out and football season is getting ready start. 

Instead of 10 hours I'm simply asking for maybe 9 hours.  Instead of Reds pregame, Reds game, Reds postgame, and 90% of the Lance's show being about the Reds, I'm asking for Reds pregame, Reds game, Reds postgame, and 60% of Lance show being about the Reds.  And that's just right now.  We're not even talking about April and May.

I don't think you get it.  I'm not intending to have any debate about which team has earned more coverage, praise, trust, pride, etc.  Not at all.  I simply asking, as a Sports fan, to try to not bore me to ***** death.

I'm the guy, like so many sports junkies, that loves this talking sports. 

-I remember Al Leiter pitching that one game playoff against the Reds. 
-I remember Reggie Sanders abysmal playoff performance. 
-I think Darnell  Burton maybe the most underrated Bearcat ever. 
-I actually remember UC football names like Deontay Kenner and Brad Jackson.
-I love the fact that Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh, and Rex Ryan are all part of the Rick Minter coaching tree. 
-I remember Melvin Tuten and Jeff Query. 
-I was excited when we signed Michael Westbrook. 
-I remember the hot tub the Cincinnati Rockers had. 
-I remember the Stingers and the Slammers. 
-I know that Shaun Alexander went to Boone County and I spelled his first name right.
-I know Marc Edwards went to Norwood and I spell his first name right too.
-There is a whole bunch of Norwoods, they're all big, went to Anderson, and the youngest one plays for Carolina.
-I remember where I was when Ryan Fletcher passed to Kenyon Marton, who passed to Melvin Levitt who dunked on Duke to win.  I also remember it was the Great Alaskan Shootout.
-I know that Damon Flint, Danny Fortson, Keith Legree (everyone forgets this), Ruben Patterson, Demarr Johnson and Kenny Satterfield were the McDAA's under Huggins.  Let me know if I missed any.
-I know that there's a Gus Bell, a Buddy, and a David.
-Peter Edward Rose has a brother, David, who also went to Western Hills, who played minor league ball.
-Before Midland there was Wilson Freight.
-Dave Parker went to Couter Tech.
-Mick Cronin's old man, Hep, who was also Lasalle basketball coach, was a scout for the Braves. You can thank for David Justice. Who, by the way, went to Covington Latin.

I could go on and on.  None of this is meant to be impressive.  Just a collection of random facts, used as proof in the internet age that I'm not googing shit to talk out my arse or anything.

I am a pretty normal sports fan.  I enjoy it.  I am their demographic.  I am the easy potential listener for them to win over.  The simple fact is they're doing the opposite and turning me away.  Which, given the above, seems pretty hard to do.  How bad do you have to be at talking sports to drive away a guy that can still laughs about Sean Brewer?  Seriously.

So please, keep talking condescendingly towards me.  Pretend like you're schooling me on Reds and Bengals facts, like I'm both a simpleton and unfamiliar with this market.  All because, as a listener and an obvious fan of all things sports, I take exception with 10 hours of Reds coverage.  Let's see who appears to need to understand things better. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
I live in Indianapolis but turn on "the dub" (as I call it) 700 WLW whenever I can whether its on my radio or the iHeart radio App.

The one show I really enjoy it on is Ken Broo's Sunday morning sports chat as I love his laid back attitude and his tying in of famous and not so famous musicians. He also does a nice job of bringing out of town reporters and fantasy football experts.

What really irks me however is after the game when they don't take callers and simply go over every play and scoring drive for an hour.

The Bengals show from the Holy Graile is nice on Monday nights.

The Reds chat will die down quickly esp if the Bengals win early.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote