Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
76 sacks projected
I think 76 is light -- averaging 5 sacks/game x 17 games = 85 sacks. That's my prediction.

And if it continues, Burrow won't last 6 games. That's my other prediction.

It's a shame, we're seeing a potentially great QB and franchise cornerstone ruined before our eyes. They gotta figure something out -- maybe brush off the old jumbo package, play 6 o-linemen full time?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:37 PM)Benton Wrote: If only we had skills players who could get out quick enough so we didn't get the QB sacked.

Mellow

Drafting Chase and not upgrading the offensive line are mutually exclusive. 

Don't let the organization make you think that both weren't possible this off-season, because they were. This organization was more than capable of drafting Chase AND upgrading the offensive line this off-season. They failed to do both.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:07 AM)Whacked Wrote: Everyone in the country recognizes the OL problem, except for Bengal coaches and mngt. Pathetic.

Many fans were equally shortsighted and I'll leave it at that. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Many fans were equally shortsighted and I'll leave it at that. 

i cant count how many times i heard we did plenty for the OL this offseason with pollack and a 34 year old RT
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i cant count how many times i heard we did plenty for the OL this offseason with pollack and a 34 year old RT

Yep. Reiff is in the twilight of his career and is not a long term solution. The starting guards are backups on a good line, and have bounced around the league. Hopkins is thoroughly average at best. Jonah is of injured. The backups are either rookies or have proven their ineptitude when given extended playing time.

While the line looks better than 2020’s dumpster fire, it is still a glaring weakness. Any injuries are going to result in a truly ugly o-line experience. Throughout the team’s mostly forgettable history the only competitive seasons all featured a quality o-line grouping that ranked near the top of the league. Those lines were littered with high round talent.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Turned out an already aggressively mediocre C coming off a Week 17 ACL tear wasn't a good plan. Neither was 2 RBs who aren't particularly good blockers being the only two options.

It's been something like...

Hopkins: 2
Mixon: 1
Perine: 1
Reiff: 1
Jonah: 1
Sample: 1 (But really the OC's fault.)
Burrow: 1 (Today he ran right into a defender.)
Free Blitzer: 1 (OC/Burrow mix?)

...according to my admittedly extremely rough mental count. Imagine how much better we'd all be feeling if they had addressed C and pass-blocking RB like they probably should have instead of those 4 sacks they have given up. Do we freak out about 5 sacks in 2 games, with one of them being Burrow running into a DL for some weird reason and another being Sample put against a 13.5 sack DE 1-on-1? Those seem like easier fixes rather than blatant offensive flaws.

Rep. Not that our O-line is where it needs to be... but certainly not all on O-line.

Big picture is mistakes are being made by coaches and players.

It ain't all about Chase being picked over Sewell but haters gon hate and fanboys gon defend.

Logical posters hang somewhere in the middle.

The question for this board is...

Where are YOU !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Drafting Chase and not upgrading the offensive line are mutually exclusive. 

Don't let the organization make you think that both weren't possible this off-season, because they were. This organization was more than capable of drafting Chase AND upgrading the offensive line this off-season. They failed to do both.

BINGO

Also perhaps letting someone else run the offense.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Exclamation 
Not exactly the kind of record you want to be in contention for. Ninja

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/9/19/22682933/joe-burrow-nfl-record-sacks-david-carr-texans-news

Quote:After allowing four sacks vs. the Chicago Bears, the Bengals have allowed Burrow to be sacked nine times in two games, a pace of 76.5 sacks over a 17-game season.

Seventy-six and a half.

That’s beyond absurd, and it would be a single-season record for sacks taken by a QB, breaking the previous mark held by former Houston Texans QB David Carr, who was sacked an NFL-record 76 times during the 2005 season.
Tiger WhoDey2
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-76-sacks-projected

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
C'mon man...did you really think we'd made it almost 24 hours after the game without pointing out that Burrow is getting demolished at a record pace!?

Tim Couch....there, I finally remembered the Browns QB that wasn't a bust but got busted by his organization. 
Reply/Quote
But Gio was overpaid, right?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But Gio was overpaid, right?

How bizarre is it that a nearly 30 year old RB departing has had such a debilitating effect upon our blocking?  Pollack's scheme falls apart without the right RB?  Wacky. 
Reply/Quote
Was it Perine or Mixon who missed Ogletree on that 3rd int where Burrow got hit and the ball fell into the DL's hands?

Didn't see it the first time. That of course wasn't a good game blocking by the OL but the first and second interceptions
were completely on Burrow, he had time. This is where the game was lost. The pick 6 and the following pick where the
WR was completely covered. Burrow had a crappy game and the play calling didn't help him out any.

Jonah had a rough day going against Mack and Quinn. One of the best duos in football.

BTW, on a positive note I really like our D. 3 sacks and 6 TFL I counted. Hendrickson and Hubbard had a good game
along with Reader and Ogunjobi. If Logan Wilson would of scooped and scored on the Trey Sack force Fumble everyone
would be feeling a lot better as we would of won the game. The Bears scored on their pick 6 and we didn't score on our
defensive opportunity, that is all.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How bizarre is it that a nearly 30 year old RB departing has had such a debilitating effect upon our blocking?  Pollack's scheme falls apart without the right RB?  Wacky. 

The RB has to pick up the blitz on any Offense...

Doesn't matter how good the OL is if the RB cannot pick up the blitz and this is not making excuses for the OL or Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: C'mon man...did you really think we'd made it almost 24 hours after the game without pointing out that Burrow is getting demolished at a record pace!?

Tim Couch....there, I finally remembered the Browns QB that wasn't a bust but got busted by his organization. 

Very similiar correlation Nate.  Both SEC QB's who were studs coming out of the draft. 

Cleveland ruined Couch because of no offensive line and he didn't have time to pick apart defenses.  

Any other team that guy would've been a stud. 

Hate to say but chance are Burrow might be Tim Couch Pt 2
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:20 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Very similiar correlation Nate.  Both SEC QB's who were studs coming out of the draft. 

Cleveland ruined Couch because of no offensive line and he didn't have time to pick apart defenses.  

Any other team that guy would've been a stud. 

Hate to say but chance are Burrow might be Tim Couch Pt 2

Well, it's early but I only brought this up because the most pessimistic among us said Burrow may be a bust, and I think he's on pace to be a non-bust but a wasted opportunity ala Couch or Carr, that's all.  So it's a bit of scaling back the pessimism that he's looking like a bust, but admitting that we are 18 games into "think happy thoughts, he'll be fine" and that's looking a bit suspect, as well.

I said going into 2019 that Burrow's W/L record is irrelevant, but how he takes his lumps and learns on the job is what counts.  Unfortunately, thus far he's done more losing than he deserves and he's getting his ass kicked in the process.  Double whammy, for sure.
Reply/Quote
Wait, Zac Taylor is on the board? What's his username?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wait, Zac Taylor is on the board? What's his username?

BurrowKilla69
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wait, Zac Taylor is on the board? What's his username?

Clearly, Sled. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: C'mon man...did you really think we'd made it almost 24 hours after the game without pointing out that Burrow is getting demolished at a record pace!?

C'mon man....please forgive me for having a life outside of these boards, working a full time job, trying to raise my 2 boys by myself while going through a divorce, taking care of my daily responsibilities for this household and not taking the time to thoroughly search the forums for an article that I came across just this morning. Maybe a guest lurker hasn't seen it yet.
I have yet to see the link shared anywhere else on here. 
All I was looking to do was share an article with my fellow Bengals brethren and possibly engage in discussion about the OL.
 I used to come here and the old boards for friendly discussions that were enjoyable. How quickly I'm reminded why I quit posting on here and stuck to reading.Joe
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote