Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
7th Round Welcome Jeffrey Gunter
(05-01-2022, 06:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I heard this from some friends before the draft. i see it differently. WR Depth of Trent Taylor, Trenton Irwin, Mike Thomas, & Stanly Morgan is EXCELLENT and young in my opinion. If a young buck UDFA can come unseat one of them, great.... But, honestly, that is a good enough 4,5,6,7 to me.

Who out of that group is good enough to potentially put up 600+ yards on the outside if Chase or Higgins gets hurt in preseason or just within the first couple regular season games and has to miss a majority of the season?

Trent Taylor is about the only dude who might, but he's only 5'8" and thus relegated to slot.
Boyd is less effective outside than in the slot, so I wouldn't want to shift him outside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who out of that group is good enough to potentially put up 600+ yards on the outside if Chase or Higgins gets hurt in preseason or just within the first couple regular season games and has to miss a majority of the season?

Trent Taylor is about the only dude who might, but he's only 5'8" and thus relegated to slot.
Boyd is less effective outside than in the slot, so I wouldn't want to shift him outside.
I was hoping they would get Isaiah Weston late or UDFA he was 6'4.  One of the guys on EPSN was saying yesterday since Washington drafted Dotson that would relegate Dyami Brown to the bench...wonder if we could snag him for cheap??
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 05:57 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: Check out this 3 minute video of Gunter vs Zach Wilson. Gunter definitely bring some competitiveness, I thought the commentary was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqVsUtXYxVg

Mullets vs Mormans.....Thats Gold!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting how heavily defense we went.

Mirror image of last year where they went heaving on defense in FA and drafted offense...This year was heavy offense FA and drafted defense.  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:45 PM)Housh Wrote: Are there notable players that weren’t naturally strong but became that in the league and succeeded? I feel like some things you’ve just got to have at birth.

Michael Johnson's rookie season he wanted to play more of an OLB role and his weight got all the way down to 255.  At 6'7" he was built like an NBA player instead of a DE.

When he finally settled at playing DE full-time he bulked up to 280.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 10:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who out of that group is good enough to potentially put up 600+ yards on the outside if Chase or Higgins gets hurt in preseason or just within the first couple regular season games and has to miss a majority of the season?

We’ll just run that Tom Brady dink and dunk offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 09:13 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: We’ll just run that Tom Brady dink and dunk offense.

Easier said than done. Unless planned for All season it would be hard mid season to change your system.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:44 PM)pulses Wrote: Yeah we def might have gotten a gem there with him.

We might, we will see after Gunter gets in the weight room.

(04-30-2022, 10:34 PM)Housh Wrote: Or we get thru the year with Hayden and then draft TE next year in round 1 or 2.

Wrs are so easy to get in FA. I get not drafting one

True.

(05-01-2022, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't think it helped that they basically got rid of two of their Day 3 picks.
Those could have been invaluable in adding depth.

There's still a few depth holes to be filled that I won't feel comfortable with a UDFA.

WR4 is probably the biggest.
Irwin, Morgan, and Thomas are bad on offense.
Luckily, Bengals have enough cap space to still go get a few cheap veterans, and there are quite a few solid veteran WRs available still.

I'd be a big fan of Bengals snagging up Dede Westbrook.
Dude is only 28 years old, so he should still have a few good years left.
He's been an accomplished WR2/3 with JAX in the past, and he's done 69 punt returns with 1 TD. His best year as a PR was 2018 when he averaged 14.0 YPR.

I like your thought of DeDe Ocho. Smirk

(05-01-2022, 06:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I heard this from some friends before the draft. i see it differently. WR Depth of Trent Taylor, Trenton Irwin, Mike Thomas, & Stanly Morgan is EXCELLENT and young in my opinion. If a young buck UDFA can come unseat one of them, great.... But, honestly, that is a good enough 4,5,6,7 to me.

I disagree, when one of Chase, Tee or Boyd go down at some point I don't trust those guys to step up and play good enough.

(05-01-2022, 09:17 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I think (hope) your joking.  In football terms they are not
Young, and the production is atrocious.  Also to note, if chase goes down, we have ZERO speed on offense.  

Trent Taylor (28) 5th round pick in 2017 - 772 career yards.  4.6 forty

Trenton Irwin (26) Undrafted in 2019 - 30 career yards.

Mike Thomas (27) 6th round pick in 2016 - 328 career yards. 4.54 forty

Stanley Morgan (25) undrafted in 2019 - 29 career yards. 4.5 forty

This. These dudes definitely aren't speedsters. Taylor is dependable hands on PR and Morgan is a damn good blocker but
that is about all they bring to the table. We can do better here.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 09:17 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I think (hope) your joking.  In football terms they are not
Young, and the production is atrocious.  Also to note, if chase goes down, we have ZERO speed on offense.  

Trent Taylor (28) 5th round pick in 2017 - 772 career yards.  4.6 forty

Trenton Irwin (26) Undrafted in 2019 - 30 career yards.

Mike Thomas (27) 6th round pick in 2016 - 328 career yards. 4.54 forty

Stanley Morgan (25) undrafted in 2019 - 29 career yards. 4.5 forty

NONE of those 4 should be locks to make the team either.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 06:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We might, we will see after Gunter gets in the weight room.

True.

I like your thought of DeDe Ocho. Smirk

I disagree, when one of Chase, Tee or Boyd go down at some point I don't trust those guys to step up and play good enough.

This. These dudes definitely aren't speedsters. Taylor is dependable hands on PR and Morgan is a damn good blocker but
that is about all they bring to the table. We can do better here.
The 2  slot UDFA WR's we brought in(Lassiter and Pryor) are both FAST and have good hands and can get open. I think at least one of them might make the team.
Reply/Quote

(05-02-2022, 06:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I disagree, when one of Chase, Tee or Boyd go down at some point I don't trust those guys to step up and play good enough.

On the outside? No. I agree. No argument from me there. Things would have to change. But, what about this staff and QB says they couldn't or wouldn't immediately adapt? 

So, sure! I 100% get the initial concern... But I think if 1 or 2 main weapons go down the Bengals coaching staff would just adapt to get the ball to other guys or use the guys that are there in the proper way to help them be successful. I think the Bengals are THAT talented and the coaches are THAT imaginative/flexible/willing to change it up. They went into 2021 with the exact same crew with the exception of Auden Tate - who isn't some sort of monster weapon, right?

Bengals Main Weapons...

Higgins
Chase
Boyd
Mixon

Alternatives
Hurst
Evans
Taylor (I think he is an excellent player)

^ If 1 or 2 of the main guys go down, I just don't see why the Bengals cannot overcome (for example) an outside guy like Higgins being gone with screen game, outs, and posts to the 3 alternates with Mike Thomas sprinkled in.... Especially with what should be a majorly improved run and screen game.

Keep in mind, the Bengals couldn't do screens very well at all due to the line not being able to hold up long enough for those types of plays to develop. I'm really not sure we will see the same offense/game plans as last year where so much went outside and I'm ok with that. Evans is ELECTRIC and I am geeked up to see him on wheel routes and screens.
Reply/Quote
I really liked the Gunter pick
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 06:24 PM)pulses Wrote: The 2  slot UDFA WR's we brought in(Lassiter and Pryor) are both FAST and have good hands and can get open. I think at least one of them might make the team.

We did very well in bringing in those guys as UDFA's no question. Crazy how many talented UDFA's we got.

Hicks, Lassiter, Pryor, Adamitas, Heighliegh (spelling?), Riggs etc.

I like all these guys and there have been more that have been added that I have to still research.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 01:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We did very well in bringing in those guys as UDFA's no question. Crazy how many talented UDFA's we got.

Hicks, Lassiter, Pryor, Adamitas, Heighliegh (spelling?), Riggs etc.

I like all these guys and there have been more that have been added that I have to still research.

Yeah we def did well with the UDFA's for sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, just need depth at WR honestly is my only thought.

We might be looking at extending Hurst at TE as he is only on a 1 year deal.

Had there not been so many WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds before us, I thought we would have grabbed one in the third.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 12:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Had there not been so many WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds before us, I thought we would have grabbed one in the third.

We were interested in Romeo Doubs but he didn't make it to us.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 02:43 PM)pulses Wrote: Yeah we def did well with the UDFA's for sure.

No doubt, that was the topping on the cake after this FA and Draft.

(05-05-2022, 12:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Had there not been so many WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds before us, I thought we would have grabbed one in the third.

I think so too, crazy how many WR's went early, believe it was a record.

We might of been a bit of a reason for that with our top 3 WR's that change games in our favor with Burrow.

(05-05-2022, 03:00 PM)pulses Wrote: We were interested in Romeo Doubs but he didn't make it to us.

Makes sense, he was one of my faves for us and I am sure he was on Simmons mind big time.
Reply/Quote
This kid was just on Sirius (Jim Miller/Max Starks (in for Kirwan)). Nothing earth shattering but cliff notes:

At Cincy for the "long haul". No going back home after camp

Best rush move is the "Long Arm" (One arm bull rush), but is looking forward to learning from Trey and Sam

Best attribute is "effort". Goes every play like his hair is on fire

Pleasant kid, "Yes Sir/No Sir" ect...

Nobody chooses to go to Coastal Carolina
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2022, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This kid was just on Sirius (Jim Miller/Max Starks (in for Kirwan)). Nothing earth shattering but cliff notes:

Best rush move is the "Long Arm" (One arm bull rush), but is looking forward to learning from Trey and Sam

He played 2 years at Coastal and transferred to NC State to be closer to home in 2019 and sat out. He missed it so much he transferred back to Coastal in 2020 for his last 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2022, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This kid was just on Sirius (Jim Miller/Max Starks (in for Kirwan)). Nothing earth shattering but cliff notes:

Love this pick now more than ever. Cool
Reply/Quote