Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 plays away from a Winning record according to...

I heard this on 700 WLW last night from one of their guests who I will name at the end of this Post.

I will paraphrase what I remember hearing this guest say.

The guest said:

The Bengals have 1 Win and 8 losses that were by just one possession.

8 of their losses by just one possession.

The Bengals were in essence just 8 plays away from a winning season and they still have the Browns game at Home to play.

**This Guest was counting 8 point losses as one possession losses**

(see Guest name below and this guest may be echoing how the Front Office feels about this season)

drum roll please......

The Guest was Dave Lapham  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:28 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

I heard this on 700 WLW last night from one of their guests who I will name at the end of this Post.

The guest said:

The Bengals were in essence just 8 plays away from a winning season and they still have the Browns game at Home to play.

(see Guest name below and this guest may be echoing how the Front Office feels about this season)

drum roll please......

8 points or less is a 1 possession loss...We scored 2 tds and 2- 2 pointers to tie the game on Sunday...That is how football works
Reply/Quote
Except that without garbage time fewer of those games would have been within one possession.  When another team is up by multiple scores, it's only natural for the team on top to get more conservative while the other team is forced to take more risks. 

I'm curious as to how many "plays away" from losing seasons some of the top teams are according to this whacky metric.  I guess that bad teams aren't really bad and good teams aren't really good because we can just cherry pick whatever feel good nonsense we want to in order to reinforce our pre-determined point of view.  
Reply/Quote

The guest said:

drum roll please......

He is not exactly wrong. Losing 8 games by one possession is u. Lucky but if we one all of them we would have been extremely lucky. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:34 PM)spazz70 Wrote: 8 points or less is a 1 possession loss...We scored 2 tds and 2- 2 pointers to tie the game on Sunday...That is how football works

I get that Einstein but they would be more than 8 plays away from a winning record.

The 8 point loss game would require a play for the touchdown, then a play for the two point conversion then a play to win.
Reply/Quote
Losing 100-99 is also a one possession game, but a W is a W and a L is a L no matter how close or far apart they are. 100-0 is still a loss or win and counts exactly the same as 100-99. 
I dunno..some folks love to toss around statistics like they know some hidden truth the rest of us mere mortals are simply incapable of grasping. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

The guest said:

drum roll please......

8 point games are potentially 1 possession games  (heck we can score 16 points in less than 30 seconds)
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get that Einstein but they would be more than 8 plays away from a winning record.

The 8 point loss game would require a play for the touchdown, then a play for the two point conversion then a play to win.

well by that logic you have to count the play for the PAT too which basically is the same snap as the 2 pointer so only 6 point (or less) games are 1 play away games for you?
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:44 PM)J24 Wrote: He is not exactly wrong. Losing 8 games by one possession is u. Lucky but if we one all of them we would have been extremely lucky. 

True dat....In all honesty though the Bengals should coulda won the Seattle, AZ, Raiders, 2nd Steelers, Browns and Dolphins games...the thing is that you have to score points in the second half....All of these games were winnable
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 8 point games are potentially 1 possession games  (heck we can score 16 points in less than 30 seconds)

(12-24-2019, 01:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well by that logic you have to count the play for the PAT too which basically is the same snap as the 2 pointer so only 6 point (or less) games are 1 play away games for you?

down 5 points or less in my strict count each play away from a win World.  Tongue

Gotta score a 6 point td on a play away to win.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:44 PM)J24 Wrote: He is not exactly wrong. Losing 8 games by one possession is u. Lucky but if we one all of them we would have been extremely lucky. 

Lapham's 8 plays away from a winning record view can be looked at as being somewhat within the realm of reason as you imply.

My take away here is that I would not be surprised if Lapham is echoing how the Bengals Front Office may be viewing the 2019 season.

Zac's job may be completely safe right now, if the Bengals Organization is taking this extremely positive outlook.

8 plays away from a winning season with the Browns game yet to be played is on the FAR end of the positive side of the viewpoint Spectrum and the Bengals Front Office may be hanging their hats on this way of viewing things.
Reply/Quote
So essentially if they weren't losers they'd be winners?

BRILLIANT

Everything is going as planned.

Now remind me people how less than the magical number reached by Marvin last year was considered a failure by Zac Taylor?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Just think about the lowly Browns and how many QBs, Head Coaches, GMs they've gone through with losing seasons that had low point margin losses in them.

You can't win with woulda coulda shouldas in the rearview mirror.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Eight plays from a winning record? More like eight years.
Reply/Quote
Losing teams always have excuses and rationales for losing. Zero accountability
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Thank God we never won those games, that would have really screwed up our draft pick.

Sarcasm thingie goes here.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We are not even 8 players away from a winning record
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

The guest said:

drum roll please......

What a reach. Just excuses is all this is.

Good teams find a way to win the close games, not make excuses for losing.
Reply/Quote

The guest said:

drum roll please......

Maybe the league will let us play in the SB.

Seriously, if you take away losses of 8 points or less and count them as wins...which team wouldnt have a winning record?
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get that Einstein but they would be more than 8 plays away from a winning record.

Came here more or less to say the same thing.

If you're down 8 points, you need a TD, a 2pt Conversion, an Onside Kick Recovery, and then at minimum a long TD or a really long FG (unless you took the onside kick back for a TD?).

That's 4 unlikely plays away to win 1 game that you're down by 8 in.

So if 8 plays went like magic for them, they'd be 3-12 right now. Not really better.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote