Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 year old in NH survives being hung from tire swing in apparent hate crime
(09-14-2017, 12:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So just seeking clarification, are you stating there has been no prejudice based violence in Belarus? Historically, or in recent years? Are you only referring to prejudice based violence against these two groups or are you making a blanket statement regarding other minority groups?

We were discussing Blacks being a 1% minorities in this town and pat claimed that racism was because there were so few blacks in this community. I was disagreeing and using Belarus as an example since it was the first place I could think of with a low black population plus Soviet states do not have best history on minorities so I thought it would be a worthwhile and fair comparison.

You mentioned Romani and Jews. Yes their history is not very well in former Soviet areas.

In defense of the treatment of gypsies. There is a scourge of gypsies that go around former Soviet Union and con children out of their families gold. It's well known and probably why violence follows them. I realize not all are stealing gold but enough are to cause issues across a wide area. local police are corrupt and often not trusted.

All this being said I don't condone violence towards gypsies.
(09-14-2017, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We were discussing Blacks being a 1% minorities in this town and pat claimed that racism was because there were so few blacks in this community.  I was disagreeing and using Belarus as an example since it was the first place I could think of with a low black population plus Soviet states do not have best history on minorities so I thought it would be a worthwhile and fair comparison.  

You mentioned Romani and Jews.   Yes their history is not very well in former Soviet areas.    

In defense of the treatment of gypsies.  There is a scourge of gypsies that go around former Soviet Union and con children out of their families gold.   It's well known and probably why violence follows them.    I realize not all are stealing gold but enough are to cause issues across a wide area.    local police are corrupt and often not trusted.  

I think you were originally just arguing about the violence aspect, not the racism itself, as you seem to be confirming that minorities are met with discrimination in Belarus, just not violence. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-14-2017, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:  

In defense of the treatment of gypsies.  There is a scourge of gypsies that go around former Soviet Union and con children out of their families gold.   It's well known and probably why violence follows them.    I realize not all are stealing gold but enough are to cause issues across a wide area.    local police are corrupt and often not trusted.  

I don't mean to make light, but I am in the 1500's? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-14-2017, 01:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think you were originally just arguing about the violence aspect, not the racism itself, as you seem to be confirming that minorities are met with discrimination in Belarus, just not violence. 

I was arguing the racism and the violence by using that example.

Everyone gets discriminated against. Doesn't matter skin color or origin. At some point we are discriminated against
(09-14-2017, 02:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't mean to make light, but I am in the 1500's? 

I swear this is a real thing lol. I have heard enough accounts that it's actually a thing
(09-14-2017, 02:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I was arguing the racism and the violence by using that example.  

Everyone gets discriminated against.   Doesn't matter skin color or origin.   At some point we are discriminated against

Discrimination on the basis of one's race or ethnicity is racism.

(09-14-2017, 02:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Discrimination on the basis of one's race or ethnicity is racism.

In my example there was no discrimination. That was my point.
(09-13-2017, 10:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Blacks are rare to the point that people are surprised to see them and if they do they are just avoided. Bringing one home to marry is a shame to the family.  

Gays are not in the open most are married to a woman and have a family to not raise suspicion.   If they are outed they will most likely have people from the neighborhood asking them to leave for the sake of the families in the neighborhood.  

No one gets beat up.    

There will be an upcoming issue with the Chinese in Belarus.   That might get violent based off how Lukashenko did the whole deal.

(09-13-2017, 10:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Families do not want that stuff around their children.   What happens in someone's bedroom should stay there.....

(09-14-2017, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We were discussing Blacks being a 1% minorities in this town and pat claimed that racism was because there were so few blacks in this community.  I was disagreeing and using Belarus as an example since it was the first place I could think of with a low black population plus Soviet states do not have best history on minorities so I thought it would be a worthwhile and fair comparison.  

You mentioned Romani and Jews.   Yes their history is not very well in former Soviet areas.    

(09-14-2017, 02:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: In my example there was no discrimination.   That was my point.

In your examples, the following people are being discriminated against in Belarus: blacks, gays, Jews, Romani/gypsies, and soon the Chinese. 

(09-14-2017, 02:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't mean to make light, but I am in the 1500's? 

(09-14-2017, 02:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I swear this is a real thing lol. I have heard enough accounts that it's actually a thing

Just like every group of people, there are those that are bad eggs. I'm not sure how common it is for the Romani these days, but there are definitely still some that take advantage of their nomadic nature to run con jobs and book it out of town.

Stereotypes are rough and can lead to terrible things, but often times they are rooted in something that really happened, even if those doing it were a small segment of the overall population.
(09-14-2017, 02:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I swear this is a real thing lol.   I have heard enough accounts that it's actually a thing

(09-14-2017, 03:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Just like every group of people, there are those that are bad eggs. I'm not sure how common it is for the Romani these days, but there are definitely still some that take advantage of their nomadic nature to run con jobs and book it out of town.

Stereotypes are rough and can lead to terrible things, but often times they are rooted in something that really happened, even if those doing it were a small segment of the overall population.

In the area where my dad worked in PA he would talk about the "gypsies" who lived in North Carolina in the winter and then came north to work paving parking lots and the like.  They were bad news.  Always trying to scam the business he worked for to the point that if a new truck with NC plates came in they wouldn't even do business with them sometimes.

It was pretty bad and I saw it first hand for a couple summers working there.
(09-14-2017, 03:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: In the area where my dad worked in PA he would talk about the "gypsies" who lived in North Carolina in the winter and then came north to work paving parking lots and the like.  They were bad news.  Always trying to scam the business he worked for to the point that if a new truck with NC plates came in they wouldn't even do business with them sometimes.

It was pretty bad and I saw it first hand for a couple summers working there.

Well, not trusting folks from NC is just a smart move in general. Ninja
(09-14-2017, 03:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, not trusting folks from NC is just a smart move in general. Ninja

We just hired one to replace the guy from Virginia who is retiring.  The VA guy was also born in NC.  

You ain't just whistling dixie....

Cool
(09-14-2017, 02:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: In your examples, the following people are being discriminated against in Belarus: blacks, gays, Jews, Romani/gypsies, and soon the Chinese. 

Gypsies and Jews were not even addressed. Other than to provide some context to the relationship between gypsies and the former Soviet states based off Matt's post.

Avoiding people is not discrimination.
(09-14-2017, 03:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Just like every group of people, there are those that are bad eggs. I'm not sure how common it is for the Romani these days, but there are definitely still some that take advantage of their nomadic nature to run con jobs and book it out of town.

In my experience People from the Belarus are just in your face about almost anything. They do not care if you call them an -ist or -phobe. They just call it as they see it with no concern for feelings.
(09-14-2017, 09:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gypsies and Jews were not even addressed.  Other than to provide some context to the relationship between gypsies and the former Soviet states based off Matt's post.  

Avoiding people is not discrimination.

Shaming people because of their skin color and telling people to move out of your neighborhood because of their sexual orientation is absolutely discrimination. 

(09-13-2017, 10:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Blacks are rare to the point that people are surprised to see them and if they do they are just avoided. Bringing one home to marry is a shame to the family.  

Gays are not in the open most are married to a woman and have a family to not raise suspicion.   If they are outed they will most likely have people from the neighborhood asking them to leave for the sake of the families in the neighborhood.  

No one gets beat up.    

There will be an upcoming issue with the Chinese in Belarus.   That might get violent based off how Lukashenko did the whole deal.

Are you referring to half of the Rupub's that are in congress?
(09-15-2017, 06:32 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Are you referring to half of the Rupub's that are in congress?

[Image: tumblr_mayykwYFmf1qhdyj6.gif]
(09-14-2017, 10:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Shaming people because of their skin color and telling people to move out of your neighborhood because of their sexual orientation is absolutely discrimination. 

No one is shamed like you are trying to infer.
(09-15-2017, 11:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No one is shamed like you are trying to infer.

Just ignore them and then shame the family if one comes home with a child?

Noooooo....no racism at all!   Cool
(09-15-2017, 11:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No one is shamed like you are trying to infer.

If you are shamed for associating with someone based on their race, that's discrimination.