Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katie Blackburn
There is simply know way for us outsiders to know her thoughts on how to run this team - will she invest in more scouts and coaches to better our chances? Will see she the benefit in short term investments that will pay off in increased franchise value? We she meddle in day to day like Mikey does?

There is an old adage in business - an owner does not have to be the smartest person in the Company, they just have to hire the smartest people.

But yes, so far so good.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 05:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's just it...people said she took over 6-7 years ago. No one really knows how the Bengals work from a management perspective.

When they win or do something that a normal NFL Team would do...people assume Katie is in charge.

When they lose or stick with said losing coach...people assume MB is in charge.

It's hard to say. How many other organizations hide who's in control from the public?

I think it has been Mike in charge all this time, as this is the 1st time they have come out and said Katie, Troy and Duke were conducting the coach search and doing the interviews..... I suspect it's her team now.
Reply/Quote
I'm remaining cautiously optimistic, but I'm not sure how optimistic I'm really willing to be. While Mike Brown was supposed to have had nothing to do with this coaching search, Marvin Lewis was Katie's choice last time. We do not know if she may have been part of the reason Marvin got to stick around so long as well. Also, Marvin said he and Mike Brown spoke daily. Marvin had also said that Mike would sit around and play with personnel packages on paper. Mike had influence in the War Room and on cuts as well.

As for Tobin being the "GM without the title", I have no doubt that Mike Brown will be the GM in title in 2019 as well as drawing a salary for being the GM.

I'm just having a hard time believing that all of the sudden, Mike is going to take a back seat. If I'm wrong and he's been handing control over to Katie and Troy all of these years then I don't think the future looks to bright with the product they've helped to put on the field.

I'd love to think that Mike Brown will finally head out to pasture and quit ***** things up for us Bengals fans. However, I'm sure he'll continue to stay in his cushy GM role with it's handsome salary and continue to make poor decisions that will negatively impact the franchise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The con on this is that no other team would hire Katie as GM. That said, if she takes on a role as executive and puts a GM or someone atleast acting as GM without the title in place...then this can work out.

We absolutely need more scouts.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 08:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it has been Mike in charge all this time, as this is the 1st time they have come out and said Katie, Troy and Duke were conducting the coach search and doing the interviews..... I suspect it's her team now.

It's hard to say. She was supposedly the reason Marvin was hired when MB supposedly wanted Coughlin.

For Coughlin to come he wanted personnel control and more scouts. So presumably, had MB hired Coughlin...the front office would look drastically different.

It's hard to really say.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals got a taste of winning with the 5 consecutive playoff games, and miss that now that they are a few years removed from it. I think that explains the changes more than some major shake-up in decision making.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard to say. She was supposedly the reason Marvin was hired when MB supposedly wanted Coughlin.

For Coughlin to come he wanted personnel control and more scouts. So presumably, had MB hired Coughlin...the front office would look drastically different.

It's hard to really say.

Marvin wasn't a bad hire, they just kept him too long. He had a really good resume and actually turned this team from being the league joke to being a perennial playoff team.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin wasn't a bad hire, they just kept him too long. He had a really good resume and actually turned this team from being the league joke to being a perennial playoff team.

I feel like hiring more scouts would be huge.

It's hard for your coaches to coach, gameplan, AND scout. I feel like this is there major flaw.

Other organizations have 2-3 times the scouts as us.

IF we were winning playoff games and competing for SB's then it's one thing. We haven't won a playoff game in 28+ years. We need scouts.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 08:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like hiring more scouts would be huge.

It's hard for your coaches to coach, gameplan, AND scout. I feel like this is there major flaw.

Other organizations have 2-3 times the scouts as us.

IF we were winning playoff games and competing for SB's then it's one thing. We haven't won a playoff game in 28+ years. We need scouts.

A large scouting department is no longer needed because they hire a professional scouting agency to tell them the same things....
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 09:26 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I'm remaining cautiously optimistic, but I'm not sure how optimistic I'm really willing to be. While Mike Brown was supposed to have had nothing to do with this coaching search, Marvin Lewis was Katie's choice last time. We do not know if she may have been part of the reason Marvin got to stick around so long as well. Also, Marvin said he and Mike Brown spoke daily. Marvin had also said that Mike would sit around and play with personnel packages on paper. Mike had influence in the War Room and on cuts as well.

As for Tobin being the "GM without the title", I have no doubt that Mike Brown will be the GM in title in 2019 as well as drawing a salary for being the GM.

I'm just having a hard time believing that all of the sudden, Mike is going to take a back seat. If I'm wrong and he's been handing control over to Katie and Troy all of these years then I don't think the future looks to bright with the product they've helped to put on the field.

I'd love to think that Mike Brown will finally head out to pasture and quit ***** things up for us Bengals fans. However, I'm sure he'll continue to stay in his cushy GM role with it's handsome salary and continue to make poor decisions that will negatively impact the franchise.

Sure has been a long time since the Marv hire and at the time may have looked like the right decision to many.

Marv was younger and maybe the hotter candidate at the time.

Lets hope it works out different this time around with Taylor and co.

Sure have been hearing all kind of reports that Mikey has taken that backseat and the results as of late look to affirm this.

Atleast in my eyes and quite a few others on here.
Reply/Quote