Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
87 out of 89 at OTAs
Tyler Boyd arrived at OTAs today. Boyd was the final healthy player to make his appearance this off season. And apparently his arrival kind of shocked Zac who apparently wasn't expecting him.

The only no-shows were Awuzie who of course is rehabbing from his ACL, he was here earlier though, and Jonah Williams, also rehabbing from knee surgery and of course a temper tantrum.

Its a beautiful day for them to be outside working

Jackson Carman does look to be in great shape this off season. I hope it pays off in seaseon

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
LOVE IT!

The players are committed to winning, to putting in work, and to each other!

I wonder how many other teams show up like this?!

This team feels different!

As to the plays, Burrow tossed that with ease and Dalton couldn't have launched a ball that far out of a grenade launcher!

Also love that Brown and Carman and Brown are taking in Pollack's coaching to put the best product on the field!

Doing those drills over and over gets annoying but you gotta do the repetitions to make sure that you just do it without thinking in-game!

I'm ready for some football!
Reply/Quote
Orlando Brown was at Oklahoma. He was large then and now. Watched him in games in my high powered binoculars and 45 yard line seats.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Great stuff Soonerpeace. Carman does look great. Expecting those guys to be the starting OT's as most know.

LC sure looked good in that other vid but that is still a crazy bad injury to come back from. I think by mid season he should
be ready, but not by the opener. Jonah as noted has his own injury problems and gets pushed around. If Carman plays well
he could really have a great opportunity to get his early career on track. Thanks for the vids.

Cool
Reply/Quote
I would love it if Carman takes a big leap & claims RT. But I think it is unlikely, though he will get the reps with Jonah & Collins dinged up.
Reply/Quote
I would love for Carman to have the confidence of the coaching staff to be the RT for next year and beyond.

Let him use this year for him to fully grasp the right side as Jonah’s back up. I have no doubt Jonah will win the RT job for this year.

The optimist in me believes Carman can be a competent RT for 2024.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 02:03 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:
LOVE IT!

The players are committed to winning, to putting in work, and to each other!

I wonder how many other teams show up like this?!

This team feels different!

As to the plays, Burrow tossed that with ease and Dalton couldn't have launched a ball that far out of a grenade launcher!

Also love that Brown and Carman and Brown are taking in Pollack's coaching to put the best product on the field!

Doing those drills over and over gets annoying but you gotta do the repetitions to make sure that you just do it without thinking in-game!

I'm ready for some football!

Why the need to take it there? Everyone knows Burrow is in a different league than Dalton, but...... I just don't see the constant need to bash former players who were nothing but class when they were here.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 03:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why the need to take it there? Everyone knows Burrow is in a different league than Dalton, but...... I just don't see the constant need to bash former players who were nothing but class when they were here.

I agree. All NFL QBs have the capability of making that throw look effortless, especially in shorts. Arm strength is in the velocity, not distance. Dalton could consistently throw the ball 50+ yards down the field. Hell, that throw right there is roughly a 54 yard throw as a crow flies. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 03:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why the need to take it there? Everyone knows Burrow is in a different league than Dalton, but...... I just don't see the constant need to bash former players who were nothing but class when they were here.

Just throwing it out there for reference and to help people get excited for the season!
(05-30-2023, 03:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. All NFL QBs have the capability of making that throw look effortless, especially in shorts. Arm strength is in the velocity, not distance. Dalton could consistently throw the ball 50+ yards down the field. Hell, that throw right there is roughly a 54 yard throw as a crow flies. 

False. Dalton struggled with the deep ball and couldn't throw the ball to a receiver too far downfield. He did improve after working with House, but he never had the arm strength to hit AJ Green in stride downfield. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 04:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: False. Dalton struggled with the deep ball and couldn't throw the ball to a receiver too far downfield. He did improve after working with House, but he never had the arm strength to hit AJ Green in stride downfield. 

You're talking more about accuracy, Brad. Every single NFL QB has the ability to throw 50+ yards consistently. Arm strength is velocity, not distance. There are numerous examples of Dalton of throwing 50+ his rookie year alone. Now, he may not have connected, which was the issue, but he certainly had the arm. 
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t give Jonah too much crap at least right now. He requested a trade. It didn’t get done and that’s all we’ve heard about it right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 05:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You're talking more about accuracy, Brad. Every single NFL QB has the ability to throw 50+ yards consistently. Arm strength is velocity, not distance. There are numerous examples of Dalton of throwing 50+ his rookie year alone. Now, he may not have connected, which was the issue, but he certainly had the arm. 

Are you serious?

I started many threads about Dalton's struggles with arm strength and throwing the deep ball.

Show me the examples of him throwing the ball 50+ downfield his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
Dalton has a bigger arm then Burrow. I didn’t realize his wasn’t understood. 

Chase slows up for Burrow deep. Both hit their top wideouts deep repeatedly enough for this to not even be a factor.

Dalton can throw a deep ball through a stationary hoop. Burrow can drop the deep ball in a stationary garbage can. That’s the difference between the two when throwing deep.

That throw to Boyd wasn’t all that. Matter of fact it would have likely been intercepted. It was an OTA deep ball in walk through speed throw. Just warming up the arm. Burrow is a better QB then Dalton but this throw wasn’t a highlight as to why.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 07:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are you serious?

I started many threads about Dalton's struggles with arm strength and throwing the deep ball.

This video of Burrow is going into year 4. Burrows arm and deep ball his rookie year I’d argue was…….. well it wasn’t his strength. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
We should all hope that RT gets solidified this year so the Bengals have their OL set for at least the next couple seasons.
Carman and Collins are under contract through 2024, so I hope it's one of those guys, but I'd also be cool with Williams doing great at RT and getting re-signed to be the long-term RT because of this year's performance. I don't have hope of the latter just because I think he'll wanna go elsewhere to get a shot at LT again though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 07:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are you serious?

What does that have to do with anything? Lol.

Here is an example of Dalton throwing the ball 52 yards down the field. This is as the crow flies, so this is 52 air yards and not 52 perpendicular yards. Here is another. This is roughly 51 yards. You have to use air yards because QBs are moving around and you want to capture the distance the ball traveled from where they threw it, not from where the yard marker is. Also, a lot of these passes will have QBs throwing to the far hash, which increases the distance the ball has to travel. That's why you'll hear analysts talk about QBs with big arms being able to make cross-field throws. The ball has to go further. When you see a QB throwing the ball 50 perpendicular yards, you're actually watching a QB throw it 60+ down the field. This is pretty rare, but does happen. Dalton had one of these passes in 2017. It was in the 4th quarter against the Jaguars, where the ball traveled roughly 60 air yards and 52 yards perpendicular to the LOS. You can watch that throw, here.

There is a lot that goes into being a good deep passer. Timing, angle, accuracy/ball placement etc. I am not arguing that Dalton was a good deep ball passer, let me be clear. However, he is an NFL QB. Every single one of these guys can throw 50+. Arm strength is measured in velocity. For instance. Mahomes and Allen can both throw the ball in excess of 60 MPH. That is moving. Burrow can throw it around 56. This is pretty average. Dalton struggled as a deep ball passer but it wasn't because he had a weak arm. His arm was fine, he just couldn't consistently place the ball where he needed. 

Anyways, this is getting massively off topic and I know how these discussions can go. I don't want to derail the thread any further. If this isn't sufficient evidence for you, we will agree to disagree. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 05:22 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wouldn’t give Jonah too much crap at least right now. He requested a trade. It didn’t get done and that’s all we’ve heard about it right?

In a thread where it's asserted Jonah had a "temper tantrum" and Andy was "nothing but class" do folks realise both wanted to leave the team once we got their replacement? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
BTW, Joe Burrow's pre-draft comp was..... Andy Dalton 2.0
Reply/Quote
This team is focused and hungry. They know how close they are. KC had some players down in the championship game. But they weren’t reduced like Cincy without 3 OL starters and their best corner and a player like Tyler Boyd. I’ve said many times take out both their 2 OT’s and a guard and see how they protect. They still were fortunate. If the OL can FINALLY perform like around the 10th best OL the sky is the limit for this offense. As long as safety play is solid we really won’t have a weakness. This team did win 10 straight.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 08:23 PM)Yogo Wrote: BTW, Joe Burrow's pre-draft comp was..... Andy Dalton 2.0

More accurate, athletic, and a better processor than Dalton. 

Are we really having a Dalton vs. Burrow debate in this thread? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote