Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
87 out of 89 at OTAs
(05-30-2023, 08:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In a thread where it's asserted Jonah had a "temper tantrum" and Andy was "nothing but class" do folks realise both wanted to leave the team once we got their replacement? 

I don't think he had an unreasonable request considering we signed a new LT. He obviously would have loved a shot at performing well at LT on another team during a contract year, but no trade got done and he hasn't publicly said anything about it that I'm aware of. If so he only did what anyone would expect and has seemingly been very professional about it so far. Assuming he comes and plays RT and leaves next year we can all agree he went about it in the best way for the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 10:55 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: More accurate, athletic, and a better processor than Dalton. 

Are we really having a Dalton vs. Burrow debate in this thread? 

No, we are just correcting the lame statement that Andy Dalton had a weak arm. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 10:55 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: More accurate, athletic, and a better processor than Dalton. 

Are we really having a Dalton vs. Burrow debate in this thread? 

Ehh..the biggest difference between the two was Andy could make the throws, but when things broke down Andy often seemed to go into panic mode. Later on the o-line was in shambles and that helped nobody including Joe once he took over, but Joe never seems to panic.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 08:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No, we are just correcting the lame statement that Andy Dalton had a weak arm. 

Andy's nickname may be something to discuss, debate and ponder - Red Rifle.   Popcorn
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 08:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: What does that have to do with anything? Lol.

Here is an example of Dalton throwing the ball 52 yards down the field. This is as the crow flies, so this is 52 air yards and not 52 perpendicular yards. Here is another. This is roughly 51 yards. You have to use air yards because QBs are moving around and you want to capture the distance the ball traveled from where they threw it, not from where the yard marker is. Also, a lot of these passes will have QBs throwing to the far hash, which increases the distance the ball has to travel. That's why you'll hear analysts talk about QBs with big arms being able to make cross-field throws. The ball has to go further. When you see a QB throwing the ball 50 perpendicular yards, you're actually watching a QB throw it 60+ down the field. This is pretty rare, but does happen. Dalton had one of these passes in 2017. It was in the 4th quarter against the Jaguars, where the ball traveled roughly 60 air yards and 52 yards perpendicular to the LOS. You can watch that throw, here.

There is a lot that goes into being a good deep passer. Timing, angle, accuracy/ball placement etc. I am not arguing that Dalton was a good deep ball passer, let me be clear. However, he is an NFL QB. Every single one of these guys can throw 50+. Arm strength is measured in velocity. For instance. Mahomes and Allen can both throw the ball in excess of 60 MPH. That is moving. Burrow can throw it around 56. This is pretty average. Dalton struggled as a deep ball passer but it wasn't because he had a weak arm. His arm was fine, he just couldn't consistently place the ball where he needed. 

Anyways, this is getting massively off topic and I know how these discussions can go. I don't want to derail the thread any further. If this isn't sufficient evidence for you, we will agree to disagree. 

Absolutely. Relating the two teams, it's funny when we see JaMarr Chase grabbing a jump ball like AJ Green in those videos, it's a great back shoulder or 50/50 ball. But when it was happening back then, it was AJ Green bailing out the QB. Funny to watch casual observers change their position based on perception, lol.

It's good to see almost perfect attendance for OTAs once again. That's three years running?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 08:23 PM)Yogo Wrote: BTW, Joe Burrow's pre-draft comp was..... Andy Dalton 2.0

No shit? I guess I missed that.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 11:40 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I don't think he had an unreasonable request considering we signed a new LT. He obviously would have loved a shot at performing well at LT on another team during a contract year, but no trade got done and he hasn't publicly said anything about it that I'm aware of. If so he only did what anyone would expect and has seemingly been very professional about it so far. Assuming he comes and plays RT and leaves next year we can all agree he went about it in the best way for the team.

Yeah, I didn't see it as a tantrum either. He made it known he'd like a trade, then he shut up about it.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 09:33 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ehh..the biggest difference between the two was Andy could make the throws, but when things broke down Andy often seemed to go into panic mode. Later on the o-line was in shambles and that helped nobody including Joe once he took over, but Joe never seems to panic.. 

Best I think I've seen it put in every aspect. Joe seems downright unflappable.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: No shit? I guess I missed that.

I think it was in WalterFootball.com and also in another....  I think like CBS Sports.  When I read that in two places, I jumped hard on Team Chase Young and draft a falling QB later.... Tua.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: No shit? I guess I missed that.

Saw it once, thought it was a bad comparison at the time.

(05-31-2023, 10:57 PM)Yogo Wrote: I think it was in WalterFootball.com and also in another....  I think like CBS Sports.  When I read that in two places, I jumped hard on Team Chase Young and draft a falling QB later.... Tua.

And it was a lame comparison. Brady is who most compared Burrow to, the accuracy, leadership, size as well.

Have heard Montana and Namath who I also think are better comparisons than Dalton. There is a reason Burrow went #1 overall and is
in the top 3 QB's in the league going into only his 4th season...

Still cannot believe people wanted to Draft Tua over Burrow lol

I could understand Chase Young a touch, he is a stud when healthy, just rarely is.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 09:33 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ehh..the biggest difference between the two was Andy could make the throws, but when things broke down Andy often seemed to go into panic mode. Later on the o-line was in shambles and that helped nobody including Joe once he took over, but Joe never seems to panic.. 

Not ALL the throws. His deep ball improved when working with House but it was still a weakness, especially when he had a deep threat like AJ.

How many times did you see have a good three steps on a corner but he'd have to slow down to catch Andy's ball in stride.
Reply/Quote