Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9/11
How bad are we divided now compared to then?

I waited all day to see if there would be anything posted in this forum about the anniversary.  Closest we came was a couple references to how Trump tweeted and pumped his fist at Shanksville like he was going into a concert.

This is what I wrote five years ago:

Quote:Thought for the evening:

As we remember the events of 12 years ago I am struck with this idea: Today should not be about "Where were you then" but instead "where ARE you now".

Are you still afraid or angry?

At the people who did this awful thing? Or at an entire religion? Or a country?

Are you a better person over a decade later?

Have you taken those lessons that life can be taken from you at any time...that there will always be evil people who do terrible things...that no matter how hard you try you can't protect everyone all the time...have you taken those and made yourself a person who lives life to the fullest? A person who looks for and celebrates the good in your every day life? A person who can say that the people they love KNOW they are loved?

We all have a story about where we were then. We should also have a story about where we are now.

And if it's not far away from where we were then we need to try harder.

Somehow we have gotten further apart.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I didn't wait to post a remembrance. I simply did it in klotsch.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-12-2018, 10:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I didn't wait to post a remembrance. I simply did it in klotsch.

You posted a viral video about the eagle last night.

Good for you.
"Unity" based on a shared tragedy is always shallow.
I remember 9/11 like I remember the Holocaust, Pearl Harbor, the Maine, and the Alamo.

It's history.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
A customer at work yesterday wished a coworker a "Happy 9/11!" Thankfully, he realized the absurdity of his statement and walked it back and changed topics as quickly as possible.

It was surreal.
(09-12-2018, 01:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: A customer at work yesterday wished a coworker a "Happy 9/11!" Thankfully, he realized the absurdity of his statement and walked it back and changed topics as quickly as possible.

It was surreal.

UGH!
As of today, a young person born after that tragedy can enlist to fight in the war initiated by it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-12-2018, 01:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: As of today, a young person born after that tragedy can enlist to fight in the war initiated by it.

And fight in a country that had nothing do with it....
(09-12-2018, 01:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: A customer at work yesterday wished a coworker a "Happy 9/11!" Thankfully, he realized the absurdity of his statement and walked it back and changed topics as quickly as possible.

It was surreal.

I am assuming he was NOT of middle eastern decent.
Looking back on what has happened since the attack, I’d say the terrorists won. Sure, we’ve killed a lot of them, but their actions have lead to the erosion of American freedoms, thanks to a huge block that would rather feel secure than be free from govt surveillance, privacy invasion and indefinite detention.

Not to mention the trillions of dollars we’ve wasted on offense, not defense, at a time when our roads and bridges are failing and an entire generation is drowning in debt from trying to get an education.
(09-12-2018, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am assuming he was NOT of middle eastern decent.

LOL No. He was not.
Do you know about "prudence"?

Modern definitions can vary widely. Google defines prudent as "acting with or showing care and thought for the future.". Cicero identified it as one of the 'key virtues' alongside fortitude, temperance and justice.

In the ancient world, it as widely held that prudence was defined as being made of three qualities: memory, intelligence and foresight. You recall what happened in the past (the precedent), you analyze the past events in context of the current situation (analysis), and you make logical decisions about what will occur in the future based upon the analysis (foresight). The quality and quantity of each part of the chain determines the level of prudence.

(In the ancient world, it was difficult for artists to convey prudence through their mediums as it is an abstract concept. What they often did was to convey prudence in a figure by showing the figure as having three heads: one look back, one looking straight and one looking forward.)

The thing with prudence is that if there is a weakness in one of the links (precedent, analysis or foresight), the process is a failure. The benefits of the great virtue are lost. Like a ship sailing without a navigator, map or compass.
(09-12-2018, 03:48 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Do you know about "prudence"?

Modern definitions can vary widely. Google defines prudent as "acting with or showing care and thought for the future.". Cicero identified it as one of the 'key virtues' alongside fortitude, temperance and justice.

In the ancient world, it as widely held that prudence was defined as being made of three qualities: memory, intelligence and foresight. You recall what happened in the past (the precedent), you analyze the past events in context of the current situation (analysis), and you make logical decisions about what will occur in the future based upon the analysis (foresight). The quality and quantity of each part of the chain determines the level of prudence.

(In the ancient world, it was difficult for artists to convey prudence through their mediums as it is an abstract concept. What they often did was to convey prudence in a figure by showing the figure as having three heads: one look back, one looking straight and one looking forward.)

The thing with prudence is that if there is a weakness in one of the links (precedent, analysis or foresight), the process is a failure. The benefits of the great virtue are lost. Like a ship sailing without a navigator, map or compass.

What I try to teach my kids is foresight and planning.

Think about what you need to happen, where you need to go or be and use what you know to plan ahead for that thing.

Be on the lookout for changing variables, but have a plan before you start.

Meanwhile I've made two careers out of flying by the seat of my pants over 80% of the time!   Smirk

But even the best improv is based in solid past information and situational data!
(09-12-2018, 04:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: What I try to teach my kids is foresight and planning.

Think about what you need to happen, where you need to go or be and use what you know to plan ahead for that thing.

Be on the lookout for changing variables, but have a plan before you start.

Meanwhile I've made two careers out of flying by the seat of my pants over 80% of the time!   Smirk

But even the best improv is based in solid past information and situational data!

Don't forget the co-equal importance of knowing what has happened previously (i.e. history). Wink