Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9 GOP Sens that voted for DeVos say Biden HHS pick has 'No meaningful experience"
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/539931-11-gop-senators-slam-biden-pick-for-health-secretary-no-meaningful

By historical standards, his legal background has been enough for HHS. While I would prefer someone with more direct health experience, the charge from these Senators is laughable.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I made comment in another thread about some gqp guy on NPR saying a candidate lacked the "temperament" for the position.  I was reading about one that had some "mean tweets" that has really upset some republicans who, apparently, just discovered Twitter and had never read anything on it before.

But I am 100% sure someone will be along to tell us Democrats did something once to oppose someone so this isn't utter hypocrisy.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I liked the one where Manchin had issues with a nominee...and it turned out that person tweeted something mean about his daughter raising the price of EpiPens by 500%. The approval process is so broken in general that it's almost pointless to have at this point. The President was elected, let the person the people put in charge surround themselves with the people they need to carry out their agenda. Otherwise, we end up calling everyone "acting" for years and we do it anyway lol.
Reply/Quote
Personally, this retort to Cruz was my favorite:

"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 10:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, this retort to Cruz was my favorite:

That's the one I shared. Hilarious

Ted Cruz needs a better person handling his social media and he really should lay low for a bit.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 10:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, this retort to Cruz was my favorite:

let's ignore the fact that the bulk of HHS sec's had legislative and legal experience prior to HHS and most had health experience AFTER they first started working for the Dept of HHS lol. 

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:26 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: let's ignore the fact that the bulk of HHS sec's had legislative and legal experience prior to HHS and most had health experience AFTER they first started working for the Dept of HHS lol. 

Quite frankly, experience with large governmental organizations is the best experience for almost all of the cabinet positions. Specific subject knowledge is helpful, but being a doctor doesn't mean someone has organizational leadership skills needed to run a department. Obviously, having both subject knowledge and that leadership experience is ideal, but the leadership experience is far more important.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Quite frankly, experience with large governmental organizations is the best experience for almost all of the cabinet positions. Specific subject knowledge is helpful, but being a doctor doesn't mean someone has organizational leadership skills needed to run a department. Obviously, having both subject knowledge and that leadership experience is ideal, but the leadership experience is far more important.

Tom Price and his corruption agrees. I made this point in the first DeVos threads. Past Sec of Edu had experience leading school systems, enforcing school law, or leading large bureaucracies. She had none of those, but she was being billed by conservatives as having education experience, which meant it was fair to criticize her lack of education experience. 

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Quite frankly, experience with large governmental organizations is the best experience for almost all of the cabinet positions. Specific subject knowledge is helpful, but being a doctor doesn't mean someone has organizational leadership skills needed to run a department. Obviously, having both subject knowledge and that leadership experience is ideal, but the leadership experience is far more important.

This is actually my issue with school districts and superintendents. Superintendents should be business people and if they have some educational background it's a bonus. Running any organization is more about navigating the ins and outs of making it function more so than the subject matter. It is common for presidents of companies to jump from one field to another with no push back because the field isn't really all that important except in a few specific cases.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is actually my issue with school districts and superintendents. Superintendents should be business people and if they have some educational background it's a bonus. Running any organization is more about navigating the ins and outs of making it function more so than the subject matter. It is common for presidents of companies to jump from one field to another with no push back because the field isn't really all that important except in a few specific cases.

I'll disagree. Imagining schools as a business is always a bad idea. Experience with a non-profit? Sure, but too many people without an understanding of what actually occurs in a classroom is one of the biggest issues with education. School boards have the final say, and most tend to be people with more political influence than educational influence. 

You can gain the necessary bureaucratic experience working you way up through a school system, just as you can in the corporate world, but being grounded in education, which is critical, cannot be obtained without having worked in a school. I think all administrators have the school level should teach at least one class. The longer you're away from the classroom, and the further you get from it, the greater the disconnect becomes.  

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is actually my issue with school districts and superintendents. Superintendents should be business people and if they have some educational background it's a bonus. Running any organization is more about navigating the ins and outs of making it function more so than the subject matter. It is common for presidents of companies to jump from one field to another with no push back because the field isn't really all that important except in a few specific cases.

(02-25-2021, 11:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'll disagree. Imagining schools as a business is always a bad idea. Experience with a non-profit? Sure, but too many people without an understanding of what actually occurs in a classroom is one of the biggest issues with education. School boards have the final say, and most tend to be people with more political influence than educational influence. 

You can gain the necessary bureaucratic experience working you way up through a school system, just as you can in the corporate world, but being grounded in education, which is critical, cannot be obtained without having worked in a school. I think all administrators have the school level should teach at least one class. The longer you're away from the classroom, and the further you get from it, the greater the disconnect becomes.  

I was going to say that the closer you get to the ground level, the more specific subject matter expertise is important. At the federal level there are layers upon layers of bureaucracy that separate an agency head from the front line. A superintendent, though, is much closer to that ground level.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was going to say that the closer you get to the ground level, the more specific subject matter expertise is important. At the federal level there are layers upon layers of bureaucracy that separate an agency head from the front line. A superintendent, though, is much closer to that ground level.

I think with the requirements to teach to standardized testing at this point you have pulled most of the subject matter necessity from the Superintendent. Someone who is empathetic to the job teachers do is ideal, but I don't think this is a case where they had to have done it to know how to run the organization. You can still employ a head of the curriculum who is an educator by trade but I have seen too many districts end up in financial hell because of poor union negotiations, bad busing contracts, run-away school building projects, and general mismanagement of funds.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 10:08 AM)GMDino Wrote: I made comment in another thread about some gqp guy on NPR saying a candidate lacked the "temperament" for the position.  I was reading about one that had some "mean tweets" that has really upset some republicans who, apparently, just discovered Twitter and had never read anything on it before.

But I am 100% sure someone will be along to tell us Democrats did something once to oppose someone so this isn't utter hypocrisy.

Here's the problem for you though, if you denounced Trump's tweets then you must denounce hers as well.  So by supporting her nomination despite her tweets you're engaging in the same level of hypocrisy.
Reply/Quote
I haven't read all the tweets but apparently she is guilty of being...snarky?

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/540517-mean-tweets-may-take-down-biden-nominee

Not sure is she tweeted lies and attacks on her perceived enemies or if she just tweeted about everything and is a liberal.

Whatever the case I wanted to mention that in the article linked:

Quote:On Wednesday, a Washington Post reporter showed Murkowski a tweet Tanden had written about the Alaska senator in 2017 when she accused her of being “high on your own supply.” 

“You know, we know, and everyone knows this is all garbage,” Tanden wrote in the tweet. “Just stop.” 
After reading the tweet on the reporter’s phone, Murkowski replied: “High on my own supply, that’s interesting. Should I ask her? My own supply of what? See that goes to show how much homework I still have to do on her if I didn’t even know that she had sent out a tweet about me.” 

In another sign of the nation’s noxious political atmosphere, particularly on social media and in emails sent to the media, the Washington Post reporter who showed Murkowski the tweet was hit with racist, sexist and hateful attacks after a photo of the exchange circulated on social media.

Democrat or republican racist attacks are wrong and should be condemned at the highest levels (and lowest levels) by all of us.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
I suppose when you're race obsessed you can make anything seem like racism, at least in your own mind. I do wonder how much of this shit Manchin will put up with from the far left.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 10:55 AM)GMDino Wrote:  

Here's an article from the ultra conservative Guardian that lays out the case for Tanden being an awful nominee.  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/26/what-the-neera-tanden-affair-reveals-about-the-washington-dc-swamp

But I suppose it's easier to cry racism and sexism.
Reply/Quote
33 Republicans voted against Biden’s Sec of Edu nominee today despite his decades of experience in schools. Of that group, 26 were Senators in 2017 and all 26 voted for DeVos who had no experience.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 12:28 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 33 Republicans voted against Biden’s Sec of Edu nominee today despite his decades of experience in schools. Of that group, 26 were Senators in 2017 and all 26 voted for DeVos who had no experience.

Inane, but hardly surprising.
Reply/Quote