Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9 HC interviews in 3 years
I think it was Jim O and Paul D's podcast where they said that Teryl Austin has had 9 interviews for HC in the last 3 years. This would suggest he's an upcoming coach who will probably be a head coach very soon. Assuming, of course, that his interviews were not just to fulfill the stupid and racist Rooney Rule (something Austin has acknowledge that a couple of them he felt were the case).

With that said, is there any chance this hire was done not only to fill the DC position but done so with an eye towards an eventual Merv replacement? Sort of what they wanted to do before where a certain coordinator was being primed to take over for Merv until said person bolted to be a HC of another team?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 01:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think it was Jim O and Paul D's podcast where they said that Teryl Austin has had 9 interviews for HC in the last 3 years. This would suggest he's an upcoming coach who will probably be a head coach very soon. Assuming, of course, that his interviews were not just to fulfill the stupid and racist Rooney Rule (something Austin has acknowledge that a couple of them he felt were the case).

With that said, is there any chance this hire was done not only to fill the DC position but done so with an eye towards an eventual Merv replacement? Sort of what they wanted to do before where a certain coordinator was being primed to take over for Merv until said person bolted to be a HC of another team?

They really need to stop all that HC in waiting nonsense.  It's goofy.  Marv will never leave.  Hell, the actual next HC probably hasn't even been born yet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 01:55 PM)McC Wrote: They really need to stop all that HC in waiting nonsense.  

Oh, I agree completely, but we have to recognize that until Mike's gone that he's going to do things HIS way. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 01:55 PM)McC Wrote: They really need to stop all that HC in waiting nonsense.  It's goofy.  Marv will never leave.  Hell, the actual next HC probably hasn't even been born yet.

Hilarious
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I hope he doesn't pick up any bad habits from Mr 0-7.............I like the idea of "coach in waiting" but the majority of time they don't pan out...........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
The next HC is Teryl Austin..................................................Jr.

(He hasn't been born yet, but part of Teryl's contract is that he gets to working on Teryl Jr asap. With Katie.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Time to break out the old Zager and Evans record ..
In the yearrrrrr twenty five twenty five.....if Marvin's still alive, if Mikey can survive you may find.....

DAMNED YOU! Now I'll have that song in my mind the rest of the season..well..next 2 seasons anyway..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The next HC is Teryl Austin..................................................Jr.

(He hasn't been born yet, but part of Teryl's contract is that he gets to working on Teryl Jr asap. With Katie.

Does mike have to pay him extra for that?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 03:35 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Does mike have to pay him extra for that?

He gets a free frostee keychain card, piano lessons every Monday, occasional use of Mike's golf cart at training camp, and the best job security in football.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 01:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think it was Jim O and Paul D's podcast where they said that Teryl Austin has had 9 interviews for HC in the last 3 years. This would suggest he's an upcoming coach who will probably be a head coach very soon. Assuming, of course, that his interviews were not just to fulfill the stupid and racist Rooney Rule (something Austin has acknowledge that a couple of them he felt were the case).

There has to be some reasons why a coach has been interviewed this many times and some reasons why he has SB rings.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There has to be some reasons why a coach has been interviewed this many times and some reasons why he has SB rings.

for sure....and hopefully the interviews aren't just to fulfill the Rooney Rule.  But we must remember how many HC interviews Zimmer had before he got his chance.  Whatever else we can say about Marvin he does have a pretty good record of his coordinators becoming head coaches

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm sure the Rooney rule accounts for a few of the interviews.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There has to be some reasons why a coach has been interviewed this many times and some reasons why he has SB rings.

The Rooney Rule.

1 Ring from Baltimore. Lost the other two Super Bowls... to the Steelers (his hometown team)
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 04:01 PM)pally Wrote: for sure....and hopefully the interviews aren't just to fulfill the Rooney Rule.  But we must remember how many HC interviews Zimmer had before he got his chance.  Whatever else we can say about Marvin he does have a pretty good record of his coordinators becoming head coaches

hope this remains true with Austin.

(01-10-2018, 05:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The Rooney Rule.

1 Ring from Baltimore.  Lost the other two Super Bowls... to the Steelers (his hometown team)

Man, that is what i am scared of. Marv has always treated the Stealers different cause they are his fave team.

Hope Austin doesn't do the same. Ridiculous. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: hope this remains true with Austin.

Man, that is what i am scared of. Marv has always treated the Stealers different cause they are his fave team.

Hope Austin doesn't do the same. Ridiculous. Whatever

That’s an automatic no from me now on the Austin support (if there really was any to begin with). I want players and coaches with nothing but hatred and revenge in their eyes towards the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That’s an automatic no from me now on the Austin support (if there really was any to begin with). I want players and coaches with nothing but hatred and revenge in their eyes towards the Steelers.

Definately one of my biggest concerns with Austin and has always been a huge reason why i don't like Marv much.

Still, no matter who your team is you should want to beat them when you become a coach.

Just being professional.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately one of my biggest concerns with Austin and has always been a huge reason why i don't like Marv much.

Still, no matter who your team is you should want to beat them when you become a coach.

Just being professional.

Yeah they both grew up in Steelers country within 1 hour of Pittsburgh. In fact, McDonald PA (Marv's hometown) is just 18 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That’s an automatic no from me now on the Austin support (if there really was any to begin with). I want players and coaches with nothing but hatred and revenge in their eyes towards the Steelers.

To most other teams (Bengals excluded) the steelers are just another team. Hatred and revenge are acquired traits.

You must REALLY hate Tyler Boyd then....Born and raised in Pittsburgh, went to Pitt.  Pitt players and Steeler players often get to know each other pretty well as they share the same practice complex and facilities. His best buddy is former Pitt teamate  and current Steeler James Conner. His foundation raises money for his old youth football program...in Pittsburgh.

Yet, I don't believe for a second that twice each season, he won't do everything humanly possible to beat them.
Reply/Quote

Like Austin other than this. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 09:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah they both grew up in Steelers country within 1 hour of Pittsburgh. In fact, McDonald PA (Marv's hometown) is just 18 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.

Normally i wouldn't think this was a big deal except for Marv's record against them.

(01-10-2018, 09:43 PM)BMK Wrote: To most other teams (Bengals excluded) the steelers are just another team. Hatred and revenge are acquired traits.

You must REALLY hate Tyler Boyd then....Born and raised in Pittsburgh, went to Pitt.  Pitt players and Steeler players often get to know each other pretty well as they share the same practice complex and facilities. His best buddy is former Pitt teamate  and current Steeler James Conner. His foundation raises money for his old youth football program...in Pittsburgh.

Yet, I don't believe for a second that twice each season, he won't do everything humanly possible to beat them.

With Boyd? Yeah, i am sure he wouldn't do everything humanly possible to beat the Steelers.

With Marv? The proof is in that nasty black and piss yellow pudding.

(01-11-2018, 12:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Like Austin other than this. 

Same here, sounds like a real good coach especially his Secondarys and the fact it is a passing league we should improve
under him in this aspect. I just hope my man Billings becomes that stud i thought he would be and makes us equally tough
to run on.

But Austin being another Steeler fan and losing 2 Superbowls to them makes me definately wonder if we are going to beat
the bastids. We all know how Marv treats these games.

Whatever
Reply/Quote