Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Technology is Used in a Horrifying Way
This legitimately seems worse than prison and is damn creepy. I have to hope that nothing like this would ever be allowed in the US. I also wonder about it being able to be hacked.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/365640/china-starts-tracking-children-using-school-uniforms
Quote:Tracking children is something a lot of parents consider doing in a bid to keep them safe, and there's some fun ways to do it. In China, where tracking is widespread, school children are now being tracked without need of a separate device being worn. Instead, the tracking system is embedded in their school uniforms.

As ABC reports, 11 schools in the south west province of Guizhou have started using smart uniforms for children. Embedded inside each uniform are two chips (one in each shoulder) capable of withstanding up to 500 washes and temperatures as high as 150 degrees Celsius. The chips are there to log everything a child does including their GPS location as well as react when they deviate from normal behavior.

As a child enters school the date and time is automatically logged by the system installed in the school and the same happens when they leave. However, if a child attempts to leave school grounds at an unexpected time and without permission, or decides to skip a class, a voice alarm will sound and teachers can take appropriate action. If a child is prone to falling asleep in class this is also detected and triggers an alarm.

The smart uniforms were developed by Guizhou Guanyu Technology and it seems they thought of everything. As well as the tracking chips, a facial recognition system is used to ensure students can't get away with switching uniforms. For parents, there's a mobile app linked to the system. As well as allowing them to track their child's activities throughout the day, it's possible to allocate funds for buying stuff at school. And yes, that's monitored and logged too, so no lying about how many sweets they ate.

As there's no device to wear, it's likely the children won't even realize how closely they are being monitored while at school until they inevitably set off an alarm. I also can't help but think this embedded tracking system is going to spread and become part of all clothing sold in China.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Not really scary, many companies are doing this with the RFID badges they require their workers to wear. I know there are some schools that also do it with badges however putting it in the clothes ensures friends don’t bring your tag to school. “Hacking” is a buzzword but the reality is any system can be hacked but is it worth hacking. If the system contains simple attendance data then it really isn’t a big issue. To put it in perspective many schools have moved everything online including grading, records, testing which is far more of an issue than just attendance tracking.

We are having this backlash now because all of the data breaches that we worry about all data. A lot of data used to be available to people in a phone book, much of the data that gets breached is that data. When you get concerned is when it’s social security numbers or passwords and passwords is usually only an issue because people use the same password at target as they do their online banking.
China is crazy when it comes to this stuff:

"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The real scary shit in China is their social credit system.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-28-2018, 08:08 PM)treee Wrote: The real scary shit in China is their social credit system.

Yup. That's what the video I shared is all about. Shit is real scary.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-28-2018, 07:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not really scary, many companies are doing this with the RFID badges they require their workers to wear. I know there are some schools that also do it with badges however putting it in the clothes ensures friends don’t bring your tag to school. “Hacking” is a buzzword but the reality is any system can be hacked but is it worth hacking. If the system contains simple attendance data then it really isn’t a big issue. To put it in perspective many schools have moved everything online including grading, records, testing which is far more of an issue than just attendance tracking.

We are having this backlash now because all of the data breaches that we worry about all data. A lot of data used to be available to people in a phone book, much of the data that gets breached is that data. When you get concerned is when it’s social security numbers or passwords and passwords is usually only an issue because people use the same password at target as they do their online banking.

-It is combined with facial recognition to make sure the right uniform matches up with the right face.
-It must have some kind of heartrate or something monitor in it, because it can tell when you're sleeping.
-It has real-time GPS so you are being tracked at all times from the second you put on your uniform to the second your take it off.
-It flags parents phones or sends out alerts if you deviate from your normal pattern.
-You stuck on the toilet? Bam, it thinks you're skipping class. Alarm.
-They keep track of what you purchase.

Meanwhile parents have access to your every move throughout the day on their phone.

If you don't think that's a terrifying future, then you and I are clearly very different people. Thanks for talking down to me about the "hacking" buzzword, but this is also a system where parents will load money onto their childrens accounts. You load say $25 for the week's lunches/drinks/snacks, 1,000 kids in a school, that's $25k. People have hacked for much less.

Phone books didn't have live tracking of where people are, money, co-op with facial recognition, heartrate monitors (or whatever they are using to check for sleeping).

If you think this is just attendance tracking, then you didn't read the article.

So why is this scary? What is the damage?
(12-28-2018, 09:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: -It is combined with facial recognition to make sure the right uniform matches up with the right face.
-It must have some kind of heartrate or something monitor in it, because it can tell when you're sleeping.
-It has real-time GPS so you are being tracked at all times from the second you put on your uniform to the second your take it off.
-It flags parents phones or sends out alerts if you deviate from your normal pattern.
-You stuck on the toilet? Bam, it thinks you're skipping class. Alarm.
-They keep track of what you purchase.

Meanwhile parents have access to your every move throughout the day on their phone.

If you don't think that's a terrifying future, then you and I are clearly very different people. Thanks for talking down to me about the "hacking" buzzword, but this is also a system where parents will load money onto their childrens accounts. You load say $25 for the week's lunches/drinks/snacks, 1,000 kids in a school, that's $25k. People have hacked for much less.

Phone books didn't have live tracking of where people are, money, co-op with facial recognition, heartrate monitors (or whatever they are using to check for sleeping).

If you think this is just attendance tracking, then you didn't read the article.

Not sure if you know this but large retailers are already using facial recognition. They can match you to your social media as well as tell your mood just based on a shot of your face when you walk in the door. They can also track you throughout their store based on Bluetooth beacons that pull data from your bluetooth being in searching for devices to pair. In some cities they can actually track you moving through the city using the same technology. Because you willingly transmit the data it is currently considered public domain and open to be used.

Lunch money is already loaded on cards over the internet at every major school district in the country, there is literally nothing unique about that. This has been the way many schools have done lunch accounts for a decade. They follow standard online financial transaction standards. The transaction is between the parent and the credit card processor then the school is the vendor. That then gives them credits in the schools financial system that can’t be used outside the system.

Again “hacking” buzz word without really knowing what’s going on. That part is secure, the student data probably not as much but as I said it’s not really sensitive info. The facial recognition data is most likely hashed in an non human readable format anyways so nothing special there.
(12-28-2018, 11:24 PM)Au165 Wrote:
Not sure if you know this but large retailers are already using facial recognition
. They can match you to your social media as well as tell your mood just based on a shot of your face when you walk in the door. They can also track you throughout their store based on Bluetooth beacons that pull data from your bluetooth being in searching for devices to pair. In some cities they can actually track you moving through the city using the same technology. Because you willingly transmit the data it is currently considered public domain and open to be used..

That is scary, not tracking children. Wish i had that system when mine were in middle/high school.
(12-28-2018, 11:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not sure if you know this but large retailers are already using facial recognition. They can match you to your social media as well as tell your mood just based on a shot of your face when you walk in the door. They can also track you throughout their store based on Bluetooth beacons that pull data from your bluetooth being in searching for devices to pair. In some cities they can actually track you moving through the city using the same technology. Because you willingly transmit the data it is currently considered public domain and open to be used.

Lunch money is already loaded on cards over the internet at every major school district in the country, there is literally nothing unique about that. This has been the way many schools have done lunch accounts for a decade. They follow standard online financial transaction standards. The transaction is between the parent and the credit card processor then the school is the vendor. That then gives them credits in the schools financial system that can’t be used outside the system.

Again “hacking” buzz word without really knowing what’s going on. That part is secure, the student data probably not as much but as I said it’s not really sensitive info. The facial recognition data is most likely hashed in an non human readable format anyways so nothing special there.

Except I don't. Others may. I refuse to buy a phone I can't take the battery out of. Mostly because I don't want to have to take it into a shop as part of troubleshooting (or being able to put in a new/fresh battery if I want), but also because why would you want to lose the ability to turn a hot mic off if you ever wanted to? Heck, they recently talked about Cohen's cell phone pinging being traced over in Europe even while it was turned off. If I turn off my phone, I want it off.

I guess I didn't go to a major school district. (Not surprising, some of my friends raised pigs/had farms.) We just paid in cash.

You're getting really condescending about the "hacking" buzz word. Not sure why you feel the need to put it in quotations and be a dick about it. All of the data of account balances and transactions needs to be held somewhere online because it needs to be able to be made readily available by lunch ladies and vending machines. Being online makes it vulnerable in a way hard currency does not. Granted most of my problem was just in the general live tracking of it all more so than the vulnerability.

Hope its never allowed in the US?  What are you a communist that doesn't support free market economics?  First thing you're telling me I can't pollute the river, now you're telling me I can't insert a chip in my employees?  How am I supposed to subjugate them and compete globally? 

This company embeds microchips in its employees, and they love it
(12-28-2018, 08:08 PM)treee Wrote: The real scary shit in China is their social credit system.

(12-28-2018, 08:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup. That's what the video I shared is all about. Shit is real scary.

Scary to us, but to them it makes perfect sense.

It's all about responsibility and would never fly here because of that.
Athletes would be losing their jobs left and right!