Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bunch of Reasons We Can Win a Playoff Game (or two) with AJ McCarron
Some people have invested so much time in defending dalton that any credit to mccarron seems like an attack on dalton to them. Ffs people, somebody has to play QB, the rest of the team is pretty Damn good and we've got a shot!

Bring on the stoolers and let's kick them in the balls!
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:37 PM)BigSeph Wrote: 1. I think you're ignoring the difference in sample size, 2. the difference in competition (McCarron has faced 2 of the top-7 defenses in his 3 starts), and the difference in experience.

3. QBs get sacked less often as they gain experience (unless your name is Kolb or Krieg), QBs get better at decision-making as they gain experience, and it's a common refrain to hear "the game slows down" as they gain experience.

4. Of course McCarron isn't leading the offense like Dalton, Dalton has started 70+ more games than McCarron in the NFL.  Dalton has been throwing to these WRs and passing behind this OL for years.

5. I'm absolutely shocked at how so many Bengals fans can't appreciate having a QB come into a potentially disastrous situation and lead the team to a 2-1 record in his starts with the only loss an overtime game at the difficult environment of Mile High and the likely #1 seed in the AFC.

6. A bunch of complaints and people throwing shade on the guy when all things considered, I doubt there are many backup QBs in the NFL who could have come in and done the same.

1. It was said that McCarron is performing at the same level as Dalton, so "sample size" is irrelevant. McCarron is not performing at Dalton's level. That's my only point.

2. Ok, he's faced Denver. Who is the other top 7 defense? The Ravens were 10th going into today. Maybe McCarron helped them get to 7th?

3. See #1.

4. See #1.

5. I think McCarron has done a fine job, for a backup. I appreciate having him on my team. I'm simply addressing someone's opinion that McCarron is playing as well as Dalton. It's no insult to say McCarron isn't playing to the level of an MVP candidate.

6. See #5. It's not "shade" to point out reality. McCarron is doing a good job for a backup, but the difference between he and Dalton is pretty clear.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
roflmao @ McCarron played the whole game today against a super shitty Baltimore team......and had a whopping ZERO 3rd down conversions.

yeah, he is great.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:53 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: roflmao @ McCarron played the whole game today against a super shitty Baltimore team......and had a whopping ZERO 3rd down conversions.

yeah, he is great.

I hope he does the exact same thing next week.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:49 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Some people have invested so much time in defending dalton that any credit to mccarron seems like an attack on dalton to them.  Ffs people, somebody has to play QB, the rest of the team is pretty Damn good and we've got a shot!

Bring on the stoolers and let's kick them in the balls!

Saying there is "no drop off" between Dalton and McCarron is a sleight against Dalton. I don't see how you can view it any other way. Dalton was an MVP candidate when he went down. McCarron has been okay.

There has clearly been a drop off. I agree we have a good shot against the Steelers even with McCarron though. He's done a good job of preventing turnovers and giving his team a chance to win. That's all you can ask for.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Saying there is "no drop off" between Dalton and McCarron is a sleight against Dalton. I don't see how you can view it any other way. Dalton was an MVP candidate when he went down. McCarron has been okay.

There has clearly been a drop off. I agree we have a good shot against the Steelers even with McCarron though. He's done a good job of preventing turnovers and giving his team a chance to win. That's all you can ask for.

I never said anything about any drop off. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with andy dalton. It's about whether ajmcc can get us a playoff win. I think he can. I could say dalton cannot because he's winless in 4 attempts, but that would be silly. And this thread is not about andy dalton.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: I hope he does the exact same thing next week.

If he doesn't convert a 3rd down next week.....guarantee the Stoolers mop this team all over the field!!! 

That is probably what you want though.....since you are going around all the threads calling people who are speaking facts, crybabies.

Beak is prolly full of Marv's &%$@
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 10:21 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: If he doesn't convert a 3rd down next week.....guarantee the Stoolers mop this team all over the field!!! 

That is probably what you want though.....since you are going around all the threads calling people who are speaking facts, crybabies.

Beak is prolly full of Marv's &%$@

Like I said, the W is all that matters. Not how many third downs you convert. If we keep drives alive on first and second down, and convert a couple of 4th downs like we did today, that's fine with me. And you aren't speaking facts, youre crying that we're already going to lose a game before its even played. That's just sad.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. It was said that McCarron is performing at the same level as Dalton, so "sample size" is irrelevant. McCarron is not performing at Dalton's level. That's my only point.

2. Ok, he's faced Denver. Who is the other top 7 defense? The Ravens were 10th going into today. Maybe McCarron helped them get to 7th?

3. See #1.

4. See #1.

5. I think McCarron has done a fine job, for a backup. I appreciate having him on my team. I'm simply addressing someone's opinion that McCarron is playing as well as Dalton. It's no insult to say McCarron isn't playing to the level of an MVP candidate.

6. See #5. It's not "shade" to point out reality. McCarron is doing a good job for a backup, but the difference between he and Dalton is pretty clear.

I don't think McCarron's playing at Dalton's level either.  Andy was having a hell of a season before getting hurt.

The Ravens were the other top 7 defense, yes I'm sure McCarron "helped" them after Roethlisberger "helped" them last week.

McCarron isn't playing QB on this team as well as Andy was, and why should he?  He's had 3 starts.  Dalton has had 75+ starts.  But everybody who is running their mouth about McCarron (most notably Royce Redarse) should be realistic about what they have seen so far-

3:1 TD:INT ratio
66% completions
97.1 QB Rating
2-1 W/L record with only loss coming in overtime @ the #1 seed in the AFC's stadium against the #1 defense in the NFL

Anyone who wants to be negative and run their mouths on a backup who steps into the middle of a playoff race and puts up those statistics may as well stamp IDIOT on their foreheads.
Reply/Quote
There has been a huge drop off between Maccaron and Andy Dalton. At the same time that it is to be expected that any team that has a legit QB should will have a drop off when the back up comes in.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 11:34 AM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: This is more true than many would like to admit. If the backup QB can do exactly what was expected of the starting QB...play solid and not lose the game...the team should advance. Obviously Dalton's experience level gives him a sizable advantage over McCarron but other than that they are virtually the same level as far as skillset goes. 

Dalton was have a very good year, there is no question to that. If McCarron approaches the game plan the same way he will (and has to this point) produced very similarly to what Andy did in the first 3 QTR's of the season. As you said "the team was built to hide the deficiencies of the QB". 

(01-03-2016, 10:03 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I never said anything about any drop off.   This thread has absolutely nothing to do with andy dalton.  It's about whether ajmcc can get us a playoff win.  I think he can.   I could say dalton cannot because he's winless in 4 attempts, but that would be silly.   And this thread is not about andy dalton.

Maybe I can help you out. Look way back to the first page and you'll find the above post. It was the first post that brought up this McCarron vs Dalton BS and it came from a Dalton basher, not me. I was only responding to it. So maybe you should tell him this isn't a Dalton thread? 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 10:37 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I don't think McCarron's playing at Dalton's level either.  Andy was having a hell of a season before getting hurt.

The Ravens were the other top 7 defense, yes I'm sure McCarron "helped" them after Roethlisberger "helped" them last week.

McCarron isn't playing QB on this team as well as Andy was, and why should he?  He's had 3 starts.  Dalton has had 75+ starts.  But everybody who is running their mouth about McCarron (most notably Royce Redarse) should be realistic about what they have seen so far-

3:1 TD:INT ratio
66% completions
97.1 QB Rating
2-1 W/L record with only loss coming in overtime @ the #1 seed in the AFC's stadium against the #1 defense in the NFL

Anyone who wants to be negative and run their mouths on a backup who steps into the middle of a playoff race and puts up those statistics may as well stamp IDIOT on their foreheads.

I agree with everything you're saying. I've said several times that McCarron is a really good backup and I do think he'll get better with more experience. I even think we have a good shot of beating the Steelers with him as long as Marvin gets his boys ready to play for once.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: I hope he does the exact same thing next week.

If we make 0 3rd down conversions, we will lose. 
Reply/Quote
What worries me the most is he's not thrown for more than 200 yards in any of his starts and as he is getting more game tape on him, it seems defenses are playing him better and learning how to severely limit what he's doing (under 6 YPA each of his last two starts). The rest of the team can make up for that against teams like the 49ers or Ravens (both 5 win teams), but you're not going to find any 49ers or Ravens in the postseason.

If the team actually had to rely on McCarron to come back and win the game with his arm, that's when he threw some really bad INTs against the Steelers.

The other thing that worries me is the sacks. He's been sacked 12 times and only has 119 pass attempts. Dalton got sacked 20 times with 386 attempts this year. He holds onto the ball far too long, which will lead to not just completely unnecessary sacks, but a lot more hits as well. Saw it in the Ravens game where he's already getting a bit beaten up by it, he's not exactly a big sturdy guy. 6'3, 210lbs... imagine if Giovani Bernard put on 5 pounds, and then got 6" taller. You'd be terrified of him taking any hits.

Hopefully Hue is also studying the game tapes and finds some ways to help him out. I don't think "don't turn the ball over and hope for the best" will work in the postseason like it worked against two 5-win teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 03:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What worries me the most is he's not thrown for more than 200 yards in any of his starts and as he is getting more game tape on him, it seems defenses are playing him better and learning how to severely limit what he's doing (under 6 YPA each of his last two starts). The rest of the team can make up for that against teams like the 49ers or Ravens (both 5 win teams), but you're not going to find any 49ers or Ravens in the postseason.

If the team actually had to rely on McCarron to come back and win the game with his arm, that's when he threw some really bad INTs against the Steelers.

The other thing that worries me is the sacks. He's been sacked 12 times and only has 119 pass attempts. Dalton got sacked 20 times with 386 attempts this year. He holds onto the ball far too long, which will lead to not just completely unnecessary sacks, but a lot more hits as well. Saw it in the Ravens game where he's already getting a bit beaten up by it, he's not exactly a big sturdy guy. 6'3, 210lbs... imagine if Giovani Bernard put on 5 pounds, and then got 6" taller. You'd be terrified of him taking any hits.

Hopefully Hue is also studying the game tapes and finds some ways to help him out. I don't think "don't turn the ball over and hope for the best" will work in the postseason like it worked against two 5-win teams.

It's amazing how people aren't getting this. 
His overall throwing release is fine. 
But the game is just too much for him to process. He's not seeing it quick enough. Unless it's a predetermined throw, the process is too long
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 10:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Replace "Macaroni" with "The Red Rifle"

I think you just answered your own question.

Ninja

McCarron is not the problem here. Its the OL. If we can't run the ball, or pass protect even Dalton will have problems. Teams have made sure they shut down our running game which hasn't been difficult.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 09:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. It was said that McCarron is performing at the same level as Dalton, so "sample size" is irrelevant. McCarron is not performing at Dalton's level. That's my only point.

3. See #1.

4. See #1.

I agree with you on Dalton is clearly better than AJ but the one area where I give AJ great credit is non INTS in those three games started.. if he can do that on Saturday and we force a couple turnovers. that will be big 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 10:08 AM)lostwou Wrote: McCarron is not the problem here. Its the OL. If we can't run the ball, or pass protect even Dalton will have problems. Teams have made sure they shut down our running game which hasn't been difficult.

22 carries for 132 yards against a good Ravens running Defense.. I think you missed yesterdays game.. We ran the ball great and the problem yesterday was AJ holding on to ball just too long , forced a couple sacks that way.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 10:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree with everything you're saying. I've said several times that McCarron is a really good backup and I do think he'll get better with more experience. I even think we have a good shot of beating the Steelers with him as long as Marvin gets his boys ready to play for once.

Sorry but the old line "Marvin get his players ready to play" is just empty here.    The bengals players are ready to play... it is how well they play .. not if they are ready
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 11:45 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree with you on Dalton is clearly better than AJ but the one area where I give AJ great credit is non INTS in those three games started.. if he can do that on Saturday and we force a couple turnovers. that will be big 

I agree, but it seems that he's not throwing INT's because he's not taking any risks, and that really limits the offense. He's not taking nearly as many shots downfield, and everytime a defender is near him, he drops and takes the sack.

I guess for a young backup, these are things you want to see. Even though the offense won't score as often, it helps us continue to win the turnover battle, which will always give us a chance. I agree, we need a turnover free day from McCarron to win on Saturday.
Reply/Quote