Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Clear Path Forward - 2019-2020
This is a quick first glance summary of some of the moves I would like to see in 2019 heading into 2020.  No need to respond with the typical " This will never happen " or "Not with Mike Brown" responses.  We all know the situation, but let's discuss a clear path moving forward.

Coaching - Because I don't know the coaching situation heading into next year or the year after I tried to acquire scheme diverse players.  Drafting has been a real issue and continues to be after what should be considered a pretty terrible 2019 draft.  Regardless if its the coaching staff or the higher-ups these issues need to be fixed if the team has any future.  If Taylor remains coach after this year I cannot see the coordinators staying on board because someone's head has to roll.

Trades

Geno Atkins - Seattle - 1st round pick - Seattle has a legit chance to make the Superbowl this year and they have a pretty stout defensive line.  Atkins would give them the inside pressure they need.

AJ Green - Saints - 1st round pick -  With Drew brees coming back and a possible run still on the horizon this is a perfect landing spot and would net the Bengals their best chance to get a higher 1st round pick.  Buffalo and NE also strong contenders

Dre Kirkpatrick - likely 2nd round pick possible first - Many playoff-caliber teams need another CB and Kirkpatrick could garner us some value.  Likely landing spots would be the 49rs, Bears, Bucs, chiefs, cowboys, and many more.

Best Trade Value-  
Green( Buffalo ) Estimated value 1st - 22nd pick overall / 4th or 5th round kicker ( fleecing to keep away from NE )
Atkins( Seattle ) Est Value 1st - 27th pick overall
Kirkpatrick ( KC ) Est value 1st - 31st pick overall is possible however most likely your talking a 2nd or 3rd round pick for kirkpatrick, but always hoping for the best value.

all these teams have a chance at Superbowl and cap space to cover the players
* Carlos Dunlap could also be a trade value target if its full rebuild

Free Agents -

Resign

Andrew Billings - 15 mil - 3 years
Trey Hopkins - 12 mil - 3 years

Cap Space after cuts/trades/resign - $89,939,405

Corey Littleton  - LB - 5 year $55,000,000  
Rams have a lot of needs coming out of the 2019 season and very little cap space.  He would be a great fit to replace preston brown as MLB and fall into line with the new age of Linebackers being great in coverage and ability to force fumbles.  

Neville Hewitt - LB - 2 year - $14,000,000 with incentives - So far he's a one year star if he continues to play at this level.  Bring him in on a 1 - 2-year deal to play at WILL and rush the QB.

Jadeveon Clowney - EDGE - 6 years $132,000,000 -  Clowney is about that money and the Bengals need a guy with tread on the tires that can play out his contract.  Would he come to Cincinnati only time will tell, but this would be a move to sell tickets.

*After These 3 Acquisitions the team would have 65 Million in cap left to sign aging players, stopgaps, draft picks, and backups.  Obvious points of need are safeties, Vet QB stopgap, guard.

** A lot of the guaranteed money can be paid upfront over the next couple of years considering we won't have a QB on the roster with a huge contract.

Draft Picks
1st round - # 3 , 22, 27, 31
2nd round - #35
3rd round - # 67
4th round - # 99 , 118
5rd- 7th rd - standard

Draft predictions
1st overall - MIA - Tua Tagovailoa - QB BAMA - Miami Tanks into Tua and his consistency leads to the pick

2nd overall  WASH > IND - Joe Burrow QB LSU - Indy has the draft capital to move u and Washington needs picks,  Indy secures the QB of the future.

3rd overall CIN - Andrew Thomas OT Georgia - Projects to be an All-Pro LT and best Offensive lineman in the class, Jonah Williams will kick inside LG with the ability to play LT if Thomas gets hurt.  Not a lot of teams need QB in this class and we can find guys later in the draft if they fall to us.  We Trade a 5th round pick in 2021 to Miami to get Fitzmagic for a year stop gap to develop young QB's.

22nd Overall - Isiah Simmons - LB - Clemson - Time to secure a LB for the future with a guy who is a special player that fits in any scheme you want.  Put him at SAM for now and see how he develops.  

27th Overall - Javon Kinlaw - DT - South Carolina - Rising Star 3 Tech who comes in to possibly replace Atkins.  Great size and speed with strong interior moves.  This guy could end up in the top 10 discussions by end of season so don't get your hopes up.

31st Overall - Jeffery Okudah - CB - OSU - Deep Class of CB's and Okudah is one of the top guys, Could see him being an upgrade to kirkpatrick day one.  Five games into the season he already has 17 tackles, 1 FF, and 3 Interceptions.

35th Overall - Lucas Niang - OT - TCU  - 6'6" and 340 this guy has the potential to be a world-class RT.  This is a pretty deep class of offensive lineman so who knows where he will end up, but his star is rising fast.

67th overall - Jalen Hurts - QB - OKLAHOMA - I finally drafted a QB and this guy has all the potential to be a starter in the NFL which is great value in the 3rd round.  Could possibly trade back into the 2nd round to get him if our scouts love him.  Oklahoma is producing QB's and while he's obviously not the best if he continues to improve he is a guy we can work with.  

**not far enough into the scouting process or college season to go past 3rd round and all these picks are subject to change as the season continues

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 01:31 PM)Okeana Wrote: No need to respond with the typical " This will never happen " or "Not with Mike Brown" responses.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We already have a clear path for the next few years
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
So, you're trading AJ Green for a 1st round pick, but not going to draft his replacement with one of your four 1st round picks??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You are not getting a first RD pick for Geno or AJ + you're not going to get a second for Dre.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Someone's been playing a lot of Madden I see.

I don't think there is a player on this team that could be traded for a first round pick.

I doubt Kirkpatrick would net a 3rd rounder.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:08 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Someone's been playing a lot of Madden I see.

I don't think there is a player on this team that could be traded for a first round pick.

AJ could get a 1st. No chance on Geno.

OP, not trying to be insulting, but some of this is daydreaming. Jeff Okudah, for example, is projected as a top 5-10 pick. I like the free agency moves, that would be huge.
Reply/Quote
I think the issue is when you trade guys in season you get the people who need something for a run and that usually gets you a better deal. I think AJ could get a conditional 1st in season based on snaps played if traded in season that turns into a 2nd if he doesn't hit the minimum number. Geno I think you are looking at a 2nd-3rd. Dre is at best a 4th round pick but I think he is more likely a kicker in a trade up scenario similar to how Buffalo used Glenn.

Also can we stop with the Clowney as an Elite pass rusher stuff? Carlos Dunlap is a better pass rusher than Clowney over the last 5 years. Clowney is an elite run defender and a plus pass rusher but not the kind of guy you pay 20 Million a year to.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 02:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, you're trading AJ Green for a 1st round pick, but not going to draft his replacement with one of your four 1st round picks??

nope our receivers aren't terrible and this class is deep.  There is also next year once we have a foundation in place.  1 year doesn't fix a team

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:12 PM)thillan Wrote: AJ could get a 1st. No chance on Geno.

OP, not trying to be insulting, but some of this is daydreaming. Jeff Okudah, for example, is projected as a top 5-10 pick. I like the free agency moves, that would be huge.

this is the first draft and the CB class is still up for grabs, lots of top guys who knows where they shuffle out.  

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the issue is when you trade guys in season you get the people who need something for a run and that usually gets you a better deal. I think AJ could get a conditional 1st in season based on snaps played if traded in season that turns into a 2nd if he doesn't hit the minimum number. Geno I think you are looking at a 2nd-3rd. Dre is at best a 4th round pick but I think he is more likely a kicker in a trade up scenario similar to how Buffalo used Glenn.

Also can we stop with the Clowney as an Elite pass rusher stuff? Carlos Dunlap is a better pass rusher than Clowney over the last 5 years. Clowney is an elite run defender and a plus pass rusher but not the kind of guy you pay 20 Million a year to.

Yeah I admit I reached with Kirkpatrick I don't expect him to get any higher than a 3rd round.  This isn't projections and some of it is day dreaming, but when ur in the middle of a shit season day dreaming is all we have left.

Geno is still a great player and in the right system (Seattle) he could be worth a first and a chance at Superbowl.   Remember if their thinking they have a chance at the bowl then the draft pick is basically an early 2nd round pick in their eyes.  Not bad if you want to win now.

Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that getting a 2nd or even 3rd round pick in some of these cases will land you day 1 starters. Unloading aging talent midseason is the best use of resources; you clear cap for free agency and gain capital in draft picks. None of these guys are going to take this team to a Superbowl and holding onto trade capital leaves you with a failing team and high-cost old players.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:22 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yeah I admit I reached with Kirkpatrick I don't expect him to get any higher than a 3rd round.  This isn't projections and some of it is day dreaming, but when ur in the middle of a shit season day dreaming is all we have left.

Geno is still a great player and in the right system (Seattle) he could be worth a first and a chance at Superbowl.   Remember if their thinking they have a chance at the bowl then the draft pick is basically an early 2nd round pick in their eyes.  Not bad if you want to win now.

Just don't see it, Damion Harrison got traded for a 5th last year. While he is more elite run defender (Best in the game) than pass rusher he was similar in age and contract. I love Geno but the going price or 31 year old interior D linemen with big contracts isn't that high.
Reply/Quote
lot of What If's in your "clear Path"
Reply/Quote
First off like others have said I highly doubt you're getting a 1st round pick out of anybody except AJ and I'm not so sure any team is gonna go that high given his recent injury history ?

Geno, 1st round pick ? 3 or 4 years ago yes, today I'd say he's more like a 3rd unless you find a team that's desperate. Kirkpatrick ? haha I'd say you'd be flying to get a third, probably more like a 4th.

I like where you're going with this but I think you're sights are a little to high.
Reply/Quote
Does Dre K. rank high in categories? Watching him on the field is terribly hard.
Reply/Quote
I would guess that Billings gets offerred more than $5 million a year and Hopkins gets more than $4 million a year. There will be teams willing to overpay both.

I'm on board with Littleton and Hewitt.

LOL@ Clowney. No way would the Bengals pursue him.

Not sure I'd take an OT at 3 and in the 2nd Round...especially as we have Williams. Probably bigger needs like WR in your scenario where we trade Green.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the issue is when you trade guys in season you get the people who need something for a run and that usually gets you a better deal. I think AJ could get a conditional 1st in season based on snaps played if traded in season that turns into a 2nd if he doesn't hit the minimum number. Geno I think you are looking at a 2nd-3rd. Dre is at best a 4th round pick but I think he is more likely a kicker in a trade up scenario similar to how Buffalo used Glenn.

Number one,A. J. Green is not going anywhere,he is getting ready to bring smoke on the water against all teams.Trust me,he is going to get paid and retire here as a first ballot HOF.And next year he is going to make us legit and we are going to be in the playoffs. Its coming and I am already buying my season tickets when available. This losing ends this SUNDAY.Dirty Birds are going down.  A.J. is going to be paid big time money and he deserves it. I hope they keep him in rehab until after the Bye. :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:08 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Someone's been playing a lot of Madden I see.

The 1st Round picks he trades for are essentially 2nd Round picks as they are at the end of the 1st Round.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure that many of us could come up with clever free agency and draft moves to fix the Bengals...but reality is that the team doesn't like to use free agency much...

They also don't generally like to trade several players for draft picks...

And they have a small scouting staff, so likely they wouldn't hit a homerun on the draft.
Reply/Quote